“Quiet, friendly and peaceful”

Pachamama Tropical Garden Lodge
Leobersdorf
“Quiet, friendly and peaceful”
Reviewed 4 May 2010

We spent 5 nights at Pacha Mama and really enjoyed it. Franz - the owner - made sure that our vacation was perfect. The surf board rental included private transfer to the beach. We could treat our sunburn with fresh Aloe Vera from the huge garden.

The bungalows are within a large garden, very private and peaceful. There was no noise from the street. Franz offers free wireless internet and makes sure all his guests have everything they need for a perfect vacation.

A great place to stay...

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Vlieland, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 May 2010

its allready my fifth time that i travelled to CR now. And everytime i come down here it feels like comming home. The whole malpias / santa teresa area is so beatifull that i love comming back here and might even plan to live here. Pachamama resort gives me that same feeling. Staying with Franz and Mara gives me the secure feeling of being home with that amazing tropical flavor. Really nice and green. Straight on the main road, and 50 mtrs away from the beach were from here you walk in a lazy 15 min to the best surf break or stay there and watch the most beautiful sunset while anjoy a nice fire ont he beach.
All kinds of restaurants are there around to serve the best food and taste like it should taste.
For the rest its just a big exploration of really nice things to do. waterfalls, fishing, hiking, anjoy a beer in the shade all that kind of stuff but than in a relaxed way..
Pura Vida,
Karel Nouta, Holland

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2010

My husband and I and our 3 1/2year old daughter stayed at Pachamama for 2 months. We were orginally going to stay for 1 month and then find somewhere else for a change of scene. However the place was so amazing and suited our needs that we stayed for the entire time of our Costa Rican holiday. We stayed in the house - its cleaned daily, has very comfy beds , a functional kitchen, big fridge, filtered water for drinking, fast reliable access to the internet (we needed this as we worked whilst in Costa Rica) and best of all an outdoor cold shower (much appreciated), outdoor dining table and bbq. Pachamama doesn't have a swimming pool but it doesn't matter - there are really lovely large natural rock pools nearby that you can do proper swimming in, plus a lot of places that have swimming pools in the area are more than happy for you to use their pool as long as you buy lunch or something like that. The hosts Franz and Mara are extremely friendly, helpful and groovy. We miss them and Mal Pais/Santa Teresa. Our 3 1/2 year old daugher is still taking about Franz and Mara and Costa Rica. She wants to go back there (don't we all). Mal Pais/Santa Teresa area was the perfect holiday for us - bohemian, laid back, groovy cafe's and restaurants, amazing sunsets, surfing and boggie boarding.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 April 2010

Mal Pais is my favorite vacation spot. I have been there 5 times now. The last 4 times I have stayed at PachaMama .

Franz is a great host. He is multi-lingual and can help you with planning your hotel and transfers from San Jose if needed, and your activities while in Mal Pais.

The Lodge is a unique place to stay. Most likely you will have a neighbor if you stay in the bungalows. I have met a lot of nice people this way while lounging in the hammocks on the covered patio. I mimicked the patio at my home in Pittsburgh so that I can pretend I am at PachaMama all summer long.

Also on the property is very nice house if you are traveling with a small group and a huge tipi if you like a camping atmosphere.

Franz has an artsy flair with the décor and painting in his accommodations and they blend very well with the surrounding nature. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained by the resident gardener, Hermancio. Make sure you climb the stairs behind the tipi area to get a great view of the shoreline and watch the sunset.

The food in the area has drastically improved over the last 5 years. There are many great restaurants in any price range.

It is a good idea to have some sort of transportation so that you can explore the area. We rent a quad off of Franz and travel all over with it. There is also a car rental in town.

I can’t wait to return next year!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Ventura, California
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Last year, I planned out an extended vacation, and wanted to make sure I had the right place. I was set on Costa Rica, and after much investigation, I narrowed it down to the right spot. Sure enough, after a total of six months at Pachamama, I can safely say that Franz has the best place to be in Mal Pais. I scored fantastic surf with great variety everyday and made some great friends. A definite recommendation for an all around great experience of everything Costa Rica at a great value.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 April 2010

Upon arriving to Pachamama's we were in toal "awe" with the tropical serenity and peacfullness. The town offers Costa Rican culture at its best, we settled into our bathingsuits and surfboards with ease and felt blessed to be there.

Behind the walls of Pachamma's you feel at home and at peace with the hospitality and tropical surroundings. Everyone there was so friendly and happy. The differences is languages didn't matter, we had folks speaking Italian, German, French, English and of course Spanish the native language and all enjoying each others company and appreciating each others culture and differences. We had an amazing cultural experience right behind the walls of Pachamam's. Its a world of its own.There is a house to rent, bungalows or a teepee something for everybody.

The surf and adventures are incredible. Fishing village and national park 1 mile away, beach across the street and town less than 1 mile. We rented a 4 wheel quad right at Pachamama's and ventured over to Montezume to enjoy the waterfalls, shopping and restaurants. We also went horse back riding through the jungles and onto the beach. What can I say We love Pachamama's and Mal-Pais. Its the place to go to experience the Costa Rican Culture and feel the serenity of the tropical life. We are ":hooked"

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2010

I was doing some work online so I needed a secure and relaxed place where I could get online wirelessly and not worry about leaving my gear when I went out. I knew Pachamama was the place because I'd been there before and loved it. It's beautiful, it's away from the hustle of "town" and the owner Franz is a pura vida bro who you can get a ride with to the surf every morning to start the day right:) This place is for people with good energy and an appreciation for nature and life. The name says it all.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
#5 of 8 in Mal Pais
Hotel Tropico Latino
Hotel Tropico Latino
#2 of 26 in Santa Teresa

Been to Pachamama Tropical Garden Lodge? Share your experiences!