“Inspiring SUP Experiences for All Levels”

Mal Pais Freedom Riding SUP
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Mal Pais
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Freedom Riding SUP Adventures was formed by Andy Seidensticker and his Costa Rican wife Edith. We started doing SUP lessons and tours five years ago in the fishing village of Mal Pais, taking clients all the basic fundamentals of SUP, and paddling clients into the Cabo Blanco Reserve. The business has grown quickly in the last couple years, and has now expanded into SUP rentals, clinics for all levels, and SUP adventure tours around the Nicoya Peninsula. We are passionate and true lovers of the sport of SUP and take teaching the sport very seriously. Edith competes on the Costa Rican National SUP Race Circuit, and has clinched the National Womens Champion two years in a row, in both long distance and short distance. Contact Freedom Riding if you would like to schedule a class, tour or rental for your next vacation.
Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Inspiring SUP Experiences for All Levels”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Andy and Edith run the finest SUP operation in Costa Rica, offering beginning, intermediate and advanced lessons and equipment for not only basic paddle boarding, but also SUP touring, racing and surfing.

Andy is an accomplished surfer and paddleboarder with a real passion for the sport, Mal Pais Costa Rica and his business. He along with his wife Edith, who not incidentally is the current national champion for Costa Rican women SUP, work as a team to provide a well thought out and high quality experience.

Expect a clean but small shop with many board options, friendly staff, reasonable pricing and no hassles. A few minutes away Andy practically has his own private beach in front of the fishing village at the end of the road, with calm protected waters for learning, and open ocean for exploring, with a sweet reef break what fires with remarkable consistency right there as well.

Best to email in advance to communicate the timing, skill level, and type of SUP experience you might be looking for, and my experience is that Andy will email back in a timely manner with comments and suggestions that will enhance your experience overall.

Enjoy and Pura Vida!

1 Thank Tim B

Cedar Park, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mal Pais Vacation With Family”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Andy & Edith are great. My family and I were visiting my brother's house in Mal Pais (VRBO # 513636) and wanted to learn SUP. We went down to Freedom SUP signed up and it was terrific. I didn't want to come back. Andy and Edith's lesson was very informative and right on the money. After a short lesson we were on the water. It was so much fun I wanted to stay on the water all day. It was a great workout. I plan to buy a SUP in Austin, TX. Thanks Andy and Edith we will be back.

Marlon C

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Marlon C
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Andy and Freedom Riding Mal Pais are the best!!”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

My hubby and I took a lesson with Andy this week. We had such a phenomenal time! Very thorough instruction, planning, equipment, conversation. The sunset SUP expience could not have been better!! Thank you, Andy!

Andy is professional, experienced, a true water sports pro, and very well spoken in Spanish AND English. Andy is an expat who has built a life and business in CR.

-Stacey and JJ

1 Thank Stacey D
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fantastic activity!”
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Not being a surfer, I was looking around for something new to do in the Mal Pais- Santa Teresa area. I had paddle boarded before, but Andy taught us the correct way to do it in a fun and relaxing lesson. Since then I have gone out with him twice-once right in mal pais near his shop and again in this amazing estuary in Tambor. I will definitely go again before I go home! He is very nice and professional, really knows the area, his prices are very fair, and it is just a ton of fun and good exercise! Btw his wife is the national woman's sup champ!

Greenwich, Connecticut
“Freedom Riding Stand UP Paddle Boarding”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

While visiting Costa Rica for a Yoga retreat, our group was interested in doing something different and sporty, without being demoralized by not being able to do the sport (a la surf boarding) Along comes Andy and his team, and each one of us in the group was enjoy the experience. Since Andy teaches on land before entering the water, each of us was able to master not only to stand on the board without falling, but actually paddled our way out of the inlet to a glorious view of mountains, rock out-cropping and clear blue water. Very appropriate for all ages and we were able to schedule the activity for half a day (2-3 hours) to enable us to vege on the beach afterwards. Andy captured the moment for us in gorgeous photos which he had ready within 24 hours. A MUST GO SEE!

Visited January 2014