“Vista de Nightmare” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 18 Restaurants in Mal Pais
Price range: US$12 - US$20
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Toronto, Canada
“Vista de Nightmare”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

A few years ago I got E. coli food poisoning at a Greek restaurant in Toronto and needed to be hospitalized for a week. It was a horrible experience, but still better than my experience at Vista de Olas.

The problem is Heidi, one of the two owners.

My first encounter with Heidi took place on a path leading to what may have been one of the hotel villas or possibly her home. I don't know. Guests are asked to rinse off before using the pool, but given that I'd never been to Vista de Olas, I first had to find the showers.

With narrowing eyes, Heidi asked me where I thought I was going. I answered and she pointed me in the right direction, clearly not believing my story.

As hard as it may be to believe, my friends and I had gone to Vista de Olas to spend New Year's Eve, not to commit a burglary. It was supposed to be a special night - watch the last sunset of 2012 from the infinity pool and enjoy a delicious dinner & bottle of wine. Instead, I rung in 2013 with a spongy steak and a bottle of what tasted like balsamic vinegar.

Rather than ask for the wine to be taken off our bill, we simply ordered new drinks. Moments later Heidi appeared at our table and told us that we were wrong, that the wine was fine and that there was nothing to complain about. We weren't about to argue, so we just waited until she left. She was weirdly aggressive and made us all uncomfortable.

Heidi's husband, Roger, is a much more personable fellow and although he did initiate an unnecessary conversation about the quality of my steak after seeing that I'd hardly touched it, he managed to remain friendly. He wanted me to know that my steak was of top quality and that it came from a grass fed cow, etc. I told him not to worry.

The total for our meal with service charge included came to $200 cash, which we paid with a smile. On our way to the car, however, we were literally ambushed by Heidi, who appeared to be drunk. Rather than apologize to us for a horrible evening, she launched into an incoherent tirade about the wine, the food and the private sign on the path to her home that I should have seen and obeyed.

I don't know why she attacked us like this. It occurred to me that she might actually be mentally ill.

The best thing about Vista de Olas isn't the view, it's the treacherous road you need to take in order to get there. It's so uneven, rocky and steep that it makes the place all but inaccessible to anyone without a big SUV - and anything that keeps people away from Heidi, Vista de Olas and a miserable evening is a very good thing.

Book a table at Koji or Al Chile Viola instead and consider yourselves lucky.

(note, the guys behind the bar making pina coladas were great and our young waitress was lovely. had Heidi not interfered with our meal, the service rating would be higher)

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank wallacepmw
DodgerMalPais, Owner at Vista de Olas Restaurant, responded to this review, 12 January 2013
I have never had anybody ever complain about the beef being to tender before. But i guess there is a first time for everything. How can two couples just be so unhappy about everything on New Years Eve. Good Luck this year hope its going to be a better one for you. Roger

Cartago, Costa Rica
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

La comida fue increíble
Comimos pescado fresco fresco con ensalada y recomendamos el coctel de sandia con hierva buena fue delicioso!!!!

The food was amazing
We ate fresh fish with fresh salad and watermelon cocktail recommend with good boil was delicious!!

Visited December 2012
Thank you so much for writing a review. We have fresh fish everyday from our local fishermen.
best regards Roger
Stuart, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You've never had steak like this before!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

BBq'ing your own food adds a new twist to your vacation. The steak is so fresh and REAL, not like the over processed, unnatural beef we eat in the U.S.

Visited December 2012
DodgerMalPais, Owner at Vista de Olas Restaurant, responded to this review, 24 December 2012
Yes we are very happy to be the only Restaurant in Costa Rica to be delivered from our private butcher shop. Our Beef is grass feed and hung to age the way it should be. All our cuts are 450 grams or (16oz. cuts). Thank you for the nice review. Best regards Roger
Sacramento, California
“This is a do not miss kind of place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

You can pick from a variety of items to grill, different cuts of steak, Ribs, Brauts, chicken or fish, accompanied with a huge salad bar filled with tons of fresh produce. I absolutely loved the ribs!

Visited May 2012
Very glad you enjoyed Dinner hope to see you one day again.