“Great value and great memories.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sunrise Ranch

Sunrise Ranch
Ranked #8 of 14 things to do in Mal Pais
More attraction details
Owner description: Horse back riding tours Our horse riding tours run along the beach or through the mountains of Cabo Blanco, Mal Pais, Santa Teresa or Montezuma. A special event is a ride at sunset or during full moon! Horse back riding tours can be booked for a few hours or several days. Hores riding school: professional riding lessons in dressage and western riding. In addition, we are a unique meeting place for riders, horse lovers and children. Our riding club for children and youngsters is unique in Costa Rica and we have a lot of fun and joy together. The kids learn how to ride a horse and the right contact with horses. In the holidays we organise camps for children as well as riding holidays.
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great value and great memories.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012 via mobile

What a fantastic experience! This was my first time on a horse and they made me feel like a pro. Safe too. We had a large group ranging from very experienced riders to me, the beginner and we all had a blast. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a unique way to enjoy the beauty of Costa Rica. Would definitely do again.

Berlin, Germany
“So much more than horse power ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

I planned to do one trip with Sandra and Rudi, but ended up booking two horseback riding and a quad tour with them.

Sandra is a great tour guide, very friendly and competent. I was an absolute beginner, but she taught me lot about riding. Actually, horseback riding was never my cup of tea, but after my trips with the Sunrise Ranch crew i can say i'm convinced now. Rudi is taking good care of the farm and quads. He's a very nice guy too, always very helpful, patient and a joker. Luca (the dog) is watching over the farm, she's doubtless the laid-back boss of the premises.They have around 20 horses, all were in very good shape. Much healthier looking than other horses you see around that area.

The surroundings of the farm are stunning and offer great views of the beautiful Costa Rican backcountry especially from the back of a horse. There's plenty to see and discover. What a great place for a tour!

The quad tour was another highlight of my trip. In a small group, each with our own quad, we drove to Playa Coyote. On the way we had to cross a few rivers and creeks, which turned out to be a lot of fun. We drove along the beach and followed a few stunning, uncrowded backcountry roads. Finally we arrived at Playa Coyte, a secluded, massive and stunning beach where we enjoyed a casado.

Visited April 2012
Vienna, Austria
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Amazing Adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

It was marvellous to see how easy it is to get a really personal service. My wife started riding again after quite a lot of years, but the careful guidance and encouragement provided by Sandra and Rudy made it quite easy for her - it was difficult to get her off the horse again ;-)) She also enjoyed the opportunity to feed and treat the horses herself.

The atmosphere is very relaxed but professional - a very pleasant adventure. I am not horse riding but still I got something new to try out - riding a quad for the first time in my life. And after all these experiences a comfortable and charming chill-out under the big bamboo - wow, that's what the local ticos call "pura vida".

We will certainly return but will certainly spend more time to ride - the one using the horse, the other using the quad. It was certainly not a good idea to do this at the end of the trip, we should have done it at the beginning, then we could and would have done it more often, but ok, you never stop learning - but don't make the same mistake that we did !

Visited May 2012
Santa Teresa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

My boyfriend and I had wanted to take horseback riding lessons for a long time and we finally did it. I'm so glad we chose Sandra at Sunrise Ranch!! I didn't have any experience and Sandra's friendly manner and knowledge about horses set me at ease right away. Her relaxing teaching style is encouraging and incredibly helpful. I was able to get from not been on a horse before to feeling comfortable on my own in all kinds of gaits in just a few lessons. My boyfriend had some experience and improved a lot thanks to these lessons.

The farm is located in beautiful surroundings and in our last lesson we ventured out for a riding tour to a stunning ocean outlook point nearby.

All in all, I highly recommend Sunrise Ranch for its friendly atmosphere, professional instructors and beautiful setting.

Visited October 2011
Wien
“indescribable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

good horses, nice people, good conversation, nice accommodations, fun and natural experience .. what more could you want???

The guides are very experienced and very friendly! You feel safe and have a lot of fun! The horses are great, good and very sure-footed!

From horseback riding to accommodation doing well, all of that was very clean and very nice!

Visited January 2012