“Paradise!”

Casa Chameleon Hotel Mal Pais
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Mal Pais
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My fiance and I just got back after a 10 day trip to Costa Rica. Words can not describe the beauty of this country. We started our trip with four nights at Casa Chameleon. We stayed at the Villa Estrella and yes it was expensive, but it was worth the price. I strongly suggest booking this Villa. From the moment we walked in to the moment we walked out we were in paradise. The villa was breathtaking, the food was excellent and the service and people were absolutely amazing. We loved every single minute of this trip. If you are up for an adventure take an ATV on one of the many tours they offer or take it into town and watch the sunset on the beautiful beach. Don't forgot to have a drink at the bar before dinner and see Lily! She was our favorite person we have met on this trip. She taught us a new spanish phrase every morning and was so pleasant to be around. Waking up to the beautiful sunrise every morning overlooking the beach was one of my favorite memories. Many of my friends were asking about the age range and I would say if you like privacy and beautiful sites then it's for you! We are 25 and 28 and had the best time of our lives and we met a wonderful couple who was in there mid 50's and absolutely loved it. It appeals to all and is and probably will be the best hotel I will ever stay at. We are already planning our next trip out to Costa RIca and Casa Chameleon will be one of our stops again! I have posted pictures of the VIlla and it still doesn't do it justice! You must see it for yourself!

5  Thank Mzelek
There are newer reviews for Casa Chameleon Hotel Mal Pais

Reviewed 1 February 2014

My husband and I stayed for 5 nights in Villa Vista on the romance package...meals, activity and massage included. From the moment we arrived at Casa Chameleon we were looked after impeccably by warm, friendly and Professional staff. Our villa had an amazing view, a wonderfully comfy bed, huge shower, cooling plunge pool and was spotless. As so many other people have said the food is wonderful..huge delicious breakfasts and some of the tastiest inventive dinners we have ever had. We were so pleased we had chosen the half board option. If you are looking for luxury, amazing food and truly warm and welcoming staff Casa Chameleon is for you!

2  Thank Jess M
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Just back from a perfect week at Casa Chameleon. The arrangements through Vicky were perfect. We did the overland/ferry ride approach going there and the puddle jumper approach on the way back. Last minute change, and Alonso pulled it off without a hitch! Each was great, and every detail had been perfectly organized.

Where to start? We are pretty widely traveled, but had never done the villa approach, and we fell in love with it from the moment we arrived. Total privacy, our own pool, a breathtaking view of the environment and the ocean, wildlife everywhere. You could literally go for hours and not hear another human voice.

The biggest surprise? The food! We had the catch of the day every evening, and the quality and array of dishes was beyond anything we might have imagined. We did go into town for dinner one evening, to the allegedly best seafood place in town. Big mistake. We could have walked from our villa to the restaurant at Casa Chameleon and enjoyed a much better meal. We just showed up and said to Chef Pabro, "Feed us!" Sea bass, snook (both as a ceviche appetizer and as an entree), lamb (marinated and perfectly cooked), giant prawns, and even barracuda our last evening. The presentations were a work of art. The wait staff remembered every detail. The wine we liked. The avacado I loved, but my wife didn't. Even the breakfasts were spectacular! Be prepared to be blown away by the food. Are you getting the picture?

The villa was perfectly cared for, and service was quickly matched to our daily schedule. It's a very intimate place. Make friends with a couple or two, or not, as you please. We met some great folks.

And the staff? The best. We had some great conversations with the gardener about who might win the Super Bowl, and so on. These are just lovely people. We will be back next year, for sure.

4  Thank wbickle
Reviewed 16 January 2014

My husband and I recently spent three nights at Casa Chameleon and must say it would be our place of choice if we are ever able to visit Malpais again! We thoroughly enjoyed the privacy, peacefulness atmosphere and amenities. From the very private wading pool to the beautifully appointed cabanas, to the stunning views and the serenity one could not go wrong. Meals were excellent. For a couple on a honeymoon, or simply for a unique, peaceful oasis I this is it....would highly recommend, staff is amazing and very helpful, this is truly a Casa to remember!

Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank YaleGal
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Wonderful spot with 6 villas each with a private pool, I believe. (Ours had a small one, some were lap sized) we rented a side-by-side, which is basically a 4 wheeler with seat belts, and used it to explore the little spots and towns nearby. The roads are dirt and often washed out, making it a necessity. It was a great 5 days. Took a surf lesson, saw wonderful Pacific sunsets, everyone was very nice in the area, mostly surfers.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DCraigII
CasaChameleon, Owner's Rep at Casa Chameleon Hotel Mal Pais, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at Casa Chameleon! All of our villas have private pools for our guests enjoyment, some are dipping pools while others are infinity edge or wrap around (the villa) pools. Side-by-sides are a great way to explore Mal Pais and enjoy a little off-roading in the process! Hope to see you back at Casa Chameleon in the future! Pura Vida!

Reviewed 4 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at Casa Chameleon for 8 days in the Villa Pochote. Although the steps to get to our villa were tiresome (106 to be exact), it was worth the view from your villa and plus, you burned calories. What makes this hotel a 5 star hotel is the food and employees working there. Unfortunately, we didn't have the pleasure of having Chef Rob as our chef, but honestly, I don't think it can get any better than Chef Will, which is who we had during our stay there.... He is an AMAZING chef and overall genuine person. We loved our stay because of the kindness of the chefs/waiters there. Lilly, Marlene, Rocio, and Will have such a good heart and treat you like family. I was craving snapper fish and Will went personally down to the fishermans market to get it for us and cooked it exactly how we wanted it. I highly recommend getting the breakfast every morning because it is wonderful and filling. I recommend the dinner as well, but if you are adventurous, like us, I would highly recommend renting a car and checking out the local spots as well (Umi Sushi, The Bakery, and other sodas in the area were some of our favorites). I would highly recommend this hotel if you are a honeymooner or just a couple looking for a adventurous/romantic vacation. We are already planning our trip for next year!

Room Tip: My husband and I stayed in the Villa Pochote. Although the steps to get to our villa were tiresome...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christina P
CasaChameleon, Owner's Rep at Casa Chameleon Hotel Mal Pais, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Hola! Congratulations on your wedding, we are glad you enjoyed your honeymoon with us! -Romance and quality are our specialty. All of the chefs and staff at Casa Chameleon work very hard to ensure that you experience is one-of-a-kind, we are glad we were successful and we appreciate your feedback, it means a lot to us! We hope to see you back at Casa Chameleon. Pura Vida!

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I cannot say enough about Casa Chameleon. From reservation booking to final goodbye it was a wonderful experience. I must add this - when booking through email do not fret over the time it takes to receive responses. It will all be done. I would recommend this way if you are reserving well in advance. Otherwise phone would be best for shorter notice arrangements.

The property is well off the beaten path, but has great accessibility via arranged transport. Be sure to do this. Regularly scheduled flights service to San Jose International airport, and we booked the puddle-jumper flight to the small airport in Tambor with Sansa Air. Then we made ground transport arrangements from Tambor airstrip to the resort through Casa Chameleon reservations. If you choose one of Casa Chameleon's inclusive packages these can and usually are included.

Beautiful surroundings, small and intimate resort (only six villas on property) and great service. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. The GM Alonso is a great pleasure to correspond with and he makes every effort to assure you have a seamless vacations no matter what your plans are.

The food is delicious at the on-property dining room and the view is incomparable. They serve breakfast and dinner, and the afternoon period is serviced by the bar area near the commons pool offering drinks and a light lunch menu. Virtually all the meals are prepared with fresh locally sourced ingredients, and at dinner, the catch of the day selection is just that - the local fisherman's catch of the day. Could be tuna, could be snapper, could be mahi.

The villas are wonderfully appointed with great space. The folding doors face the ocean and can be fully retracted to give you the open air layout. Plunge pool in every villa comes in handy for cooling off whenever, but the rooms do have A/C which takes a bit to cool the room but once there it is quite comfortable. Clean and well serviced daily with a nice folded towel/flower arrangement each day.

Mal Pais is an area known for its consistent surf, so the in-town feel is definitely very local and very surfer. I'm not one who partakes of this, but nevertheless the beach area (Playa Carmen) is rugged and beautiful and the water is warm.

This is a safe area but petty thievery will take those who present the opportunity so be aware of your surroundings and just use some common sense and you will be fine.

I highly recommend Casa Chameleon to all, especially couples and those who seek a truly off the beaten path resort.

Room Tip: The bigger villas are Pochote, Ultra and Estrella. The smaller villas are fine, but have a bit less...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas
Indigo Yoga Surf Resort
Indigo Yoga Surf Resort
#7 of 8 in Mal Pais

Been to Casa Chameleon Hotel Mal Pais? Share your experiences!