Hotel Moana
US$449
US$437
Hotel Oasis(Mal Pais)(Great Value!)
US$85
Hotel The Place(Mal Pais)(Great Value!)
US$165
US$113
Blue Jay Lodge(Mal Pais)(Great Value!)
US$58
US$49
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Ritmo Tropical(Mal Pais)(Great Value!)
US$81
Indigo Yoga Surf Resort(Mal Pais)(Great Value!)
US$72
US$290
US$283
  • Breakfast included
Alamar Aparthotel(Punta Arenas)
US$98
  • Pool
Hotel Las Brisas(Punta Arenas)
US$88
Hotel Alamar(Punta Arenas)
US$67
US$65
All reviewsjunior suitesanta teresastandard roomcosta ricahanging bedsocean viewspectacular viewsour honeymoonhotel groundsevery morningincluded breakfastin townoutdoor showerhighly recommend hotelwatch the sunsetshort drivespent nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 August 2011

While in Costa Rica I decided to stay at Moana Lodge for four nights and it was such an amazing hotel and place to stay!

On my day of arrival Aidan was there to greet me. I felt right at home since we where both from Ireland and as it's not every day you meet a fellow Irish man while traveling, it was greet to get the warm hospitality.

Aidan should me to my room which was a beautiful suite with a Queen and single bed, it's was hugh and I was delighted. My first impressions where 'WOW' it was so beautiful and exotic and the decor was just fab. It was spotlessly clean and I had AC in the room which was great, it also came with a safe, mini bar and all the amenities of a four star hotel. My balcony was great and I even had a little hammock all to myself and right in the jungle.

The minute I got to the hotel Adian suggested all the restaurants, bars and adventure activities happening on a daily basis. Zip lining, horseback riding, surf lessons you have to try it all while in Costa Rica!!

I also met his beautiful wife and child and he was so nice to invite me to the restaurant for drinks and dinner one night, it was a wonderful restaurant and the food was AMAZING not to mention the view, it was the best in Costa Rica. The restaurant really was the nicest place I've eaten and very romantic, it also had an amazing breakfast with a choice of local or western options which were all fab and fresh juices and Costarican coffee every day. I loved just sitting on the top of the mountain eating my breakfast, reading my book and just taking in the ocean and beautiful sights around me.

I stayed four nights at Moana Lodge and loved every minute of it. I would definitely recommend it to anybody going to Mai Pai or Santa Teresa and it's so close to all the bars, restaurants and surf spots.

It was one holiday to remember and mainly because I loved where I stayed at Moana Lodge.

Thanks Aidan and Monica for a great holiday, I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2011

After a long, rough drive to Malpais, we were thrilled to be shown to our private hut at Moana Lodge. The room was beautiful and quiet, with windows facing the jungle for privacy. The pool was delightful, and we spent many hours lounging in the zebra-covered swings.
The restaurant at the top of the hill has breathtaking views of the ocean, and the breakfast was great as well.
Aiden the host was extremely helpful and friendly and gave us lots of good suggestions.
It's also nice that the hotel is a short drive outside of the business of Santa Elena.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice - but obviously, pricier rooms are bigger with better views.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Mal Pais is a not a town or village, rather it's a cross-roads. But for die-hard surfers, its close to paradise. We stayed in Moana Lodge, which is about 5 minutes drive from the cross-roads. The Lodge is self sustaining, with a pool and restaurant. The restaurant was excellent. In fact, we had some of our best meals in Costa Rica here. Our room rate included breakfast, and we decided to eat dinner there twice.

Our room offered an amazing view of the beach, and it was a large suite which included two rooms and a bathroom. There's an air conditioner in the bed room, but not the sitting room or bathroom. But it was so hot in Mal Pais (in July), that it would have been much nicer to have air conditioners in the other rooms too. (The bedroom air conditioner is not strong enough to cool the entire suite.)

The staff were helpful and friendly.

What more can I say?

Oh yeah, if you have trouble walking, I wouldn't recommend this place either. It's built on a mountainside, so it's necessary to walk up and down a lot of steps to get to the suites and restaurant. This wasn't a problem for my wife and I, but I can imagine older couples having trouble.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Moana Lodge for the beginning of our honeymoon, we should have done it at the end because we didn't want to go anywhere else. This truly is paradise! The rooms are great, with amazing views, and the restaurant is good too. Aiden, the owner that was at the front desk the whole time, was very helpful and nice. He basically took care of everything for us-surfing, massage, canopy tours, etc. We will definitely return here for our anniversary. Thanks Aiden!
Scott & Vanessa

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Thanks Aiden and Vicky for graciously hosting myself (again) and my family. The four of us had a fantastic time and seeing all the new amenities since I was last there was incredible. Good on both of you for providing beautiful rooms, great service...incredible food & drink at the Papaya Lounge and for the the couple of nights in our 2 weeks stay we just wanted to rest - THANK YOU for the 'movie room'/telescope for star gazing.

Papaya Lounge Restaurant - go here even if you are staying in the neighboring town of Santa Teresa. The distance is not far and really...if you are eating as you should be in these neighboring towns (with great food) you could use the walk (or bike it...take a cab if your alcohol levels are peaking). Here's the trick: plan a dinner night there...then make sure you go back for their breakfasts. So good. So, so good.

I realize many of the reviews state the location of Mal Pais in relation to Santa Teresa. Personally I prefer staying in Mal pais...I can walk, or bike up to the surf spots in the heart of the town (cross roads where Mal pais and Santa Teresa meet), I can access the jungle road south of Mal Pais by foot if we didn't arrange a car rental and most of all with the nicest people running the hotel there were no issues if we wanted to get somewhere for a day.

Hotel staff - perfect. Food - so good I was asking for recipes. Drinks - too good: I don't dare try and recreate at home for fear of causing myself major disappointment. Rooms...still stellar. Thanks again for a lovely, zero stress vacation!

I really couldn't wait to get out of Samara and get my famjam down to Mal Pais.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends