“Chill out in an amazing place!”
Review of Hotel Moana

Hotel Moana
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Mal Pais
Leeds
“Chill out in an amazing place!”
Reviewed 30 November 2009

Moana Lodge came highly recommended on Trip Advisor and we are really glad we chose to stay there during our 2 weeks in Costa Rica. Aidan and Vicki were wonderful hosts and made us feel so welcome. They were always helpful and quick to arrange any transport or trips that we needed. The rooms were decorated in an African theme and very clean. The view from the brand new restaurant/ bar was spectacular - perfect for watching the sun set over Mal Pais beach. The freshly cooked breakfasts were delicious and there was a different choice everyday. We would love to make a return visit as 5 nights just werent enough!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Tullamore
Reviewed 15 November 2009

We stayed at Moana Lodge for the last 4 nights of our honeymoon. It was the perfect ending to the perfect holiday. We stayed at the honeymoon suite, a new room built into the side of a hill. It has one of the best views we have seen just about at any hotel we have stayed at. The room is wonderfully appointed with a huge comfy bed and a window that makes you feel you are outside with the monkeys and birds. The sunsets over the pacific are incredible and we enjoyed these from the jacuzzi in the bathroom and the balcony. Aidan is a fantastic and welcoming host. Unfortunately we did not get to meet his wife Vicky and the girls. We did however spend some time with Sandra the dog who was great company. She even came with us to a beach club one night. Aidan armed us with all the local knowledge that we needed to really enjoy our stay in Malpais. Playa Carmen is only a few minutes away where the commercial centre is located. There are some amazing beaches in Malpais and around. Playa Hermosa is beautiful. On our last evening we were lucky enough to have been the 1st guests at the restaurant in Moana Lodge which is being run by French Chef Sebastien and his wife. It was a perfect evening with fine dining at its best and the monst wonderful sunset to enjoy. We would also like to mention all the other staff who work at Moana Lodge. They were great especially the 2 ladies who prepare a wonderful breakfast every morning and then restore order to the fantastic bedrooms. Well Done!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed 15 August 2009

Our trip to Moana Lodge was one of those times when everything you imagine and anticipate is even better when you get there. So rare and wonderful. The new renovations are lovely and exact to the detail, with stunning views that will make you forget everything else and just want to stare at the ocean from the moment you wake up. If you want to relax in a beautiful place, this is it.

We stayed in one of the new Jr. Suites. I'm a corporate event planner for events around the world, so I did my research. I knew I wanted Mal Pais, but I went with my gut when I booked Moana Lodge as there were no pictures of the new rooms available yet. When we arrived - it was so cool! I was so happy. We got there late at night, so Aiden met us and walked us up and up the stairs to the suite, which is gorgeous even at night. All done in teak wood with ceiling to floor windows facing the ocean in both the living room and bedroom. The bathroom is long and spacious with an open shower and stone tile everywhere. The entire suite makes you glad to be barefoot - it has a sensous, tactile feel to it.

Before we went to sleep that first night, I opened all of the drapes so we could see the view when we woke up. I can't even explain here how enchanted I was the next morning. Because the room is so high up and the front of the suite is all glass, from the bed you can see the top of the jungle trees and then the blue blue ocean and sky. It's truly stunning. My first thought was, I think I am just going to stay in this bed all week. My habit became to make coffee (and great costa rica coffee at that) in the coffee pot provided as soon as I woke up, then we'd lounge in bed drinking our coffee and enjoying the peacefulness of the view and the room as we discussed our plans for the day and then went to breakfast. Each morning I woke up there felt like a gift to be enjoyed and I still remember those mornings with pleasure now as I'm back to my hectic life at home.

So the room. Mostly described already, but it's situated high above the grounds and is private even with the glass walls since it is so high up. It's like your own little world with a view. You can hole up in it as much as you like (which is lovely) or simply go down the stairs to the rest of the property or the beaches and Mal Pais. You have the amazing views from both the living room and the bedroom. I spent a couple afternoons reading on the couch, but I think I spent more time staring out the window than actually reading - which has blended forever into my thoughts of the book I was reading. It's also a romantic room as you feel like you are secluded and alone so high up and everything around you is beautiful and physical to the senses. You can definitely feel the costa rica night heavy on your skin - just, so lovely.

The rest of the hotel. You turn off a dirt road to your own private haven created by someone else for you. And they've created it well. What else to say except that it's Costa Rica jungle like, nicely landscaped with a beautiful pool area and a quietness to it that feels private. Beautiful. Oh, and then the restaurant/bar. From every place I saw in Mal Pais, and I went to every place supposed to be high-end, this is the place. Bar none.
The restaurant and bar were not open yet when I was there, sadly. But I ate breakfast each morning there and wandered around the place a couple late afternoons. It has the best view on the property, which is across a large section of the beach front in Mal Pais. We often went up there to check out the surf before heading out. The area was just beginning to be set-up and it is the perfect location for a restaurant / bar. Considering that our breakfasts were romantic up there with that view, I can only imagine how dinner will be there in the evening. And with a bar, no better place to end the day.

Owners. Much has already been written about Aiden and Vic. It's all true - they are just nice. Nice in a way that you don't generally get at hotels. You can't help but really like them, and feel like they have an interest in you enjoying your time in their beautiful part of the world. They will give you information (in English) on anything you need. An influence on my orignal gut feeling for staying here was that Aiden is Irish and I've always had a happy time in Ireland - and I was right. Everyone I met here was friendly and helpful and never over intrusive. Specifically, we took the guided ATV tour through the area, and Diogones was a superb and friendly guide. He tailored the trip to us, had lots of stories since he knows the area so well and was a plesure to spend the day with.

I could write so much more, my week at Moana Lodge was exactly the place and the vacation I planned it to be. My goal was to relax, enjoy and that it was perfect. About Mal Pais, there is everything to do if you want, and also nothing to do if you want - especially, in this room high up above with the beautiful view.

I should state that I live in San Diego very close to the beach and am used to beautiful places both at home and as I travel around the world. I chose Moana Lodge for my own vacation to relax and it was perfect. I so look forward to being able to go back.

I am attaching some pics - I just looked at the website to see if they had some and I remembered my room all over again. The pics are nothing compared to how it looks in person!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elkayy
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 30 July 2009

My wife and I spent our honeymoon at the Moana Lodge in April of 2008. We loved it so much we booked another trip in May of 2009 for my 40th birthday. There are some major upgrades that Aidan and Vicky have done in the past year. There are two new Jr suites, a honeymoon suite and killer restaurant/bar with the best views I have seen in the area. All of the new rooms were built higher up on the property and that gives them spectacular views to the ocean. We stayed in one of the new Jr suites and I was able to see if the surf at Mar Azul was breaking from my balcony every morning.
Once again, Aidan and Vicky were very accommodating and made sure we had a wonderful stay.
During our trip we realized that my birthday and Vicky's birthday fell on the same day. Aidan hired a private chef named Jim (he used to be the chef at Millarepa) to come to the new Moana restaurant and cook for all of us...it was a spectacular four course meal. The food, view and company were unforgettable. It was a great way to end our trip and ring in my 40th B-day. I highly recommended the Moana after our first stay and recommend it even more now.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Mal Pais, Costa Rica was the PERFECT vacation spot and Moana Lodge was the perfect place to stay! The areas has a great mix of activities for those who like to be adventurous but wonderful, secluded beaches for those who just want to relax.

The Moana Lodge would be perfect for a family reunion or a group of friends. The eight rooms/suites ensured a quaint atmosphere and was private enough to enjoy. We were there right before they planned to add the additional suites and restaurant the following year.

We stayed in the Deluxe Leopard room which was just perfect! At times, we could open our windows and see the monkeys above. Breakfast provided an opportunity to chat with other guests. The pool was a great spot to spend the mornings/evenings after returning from your day of activities. You can rent a quad directly from Moana, which we did for the week. Although dusty at times, it was much easier than renting a car and navigating the horrendous roads.

Aidan and Vicki have great recommendations on beaches, restaurants, and anything else that might interest you. They will arrange anything you’d like (fishing, surfing lessons, tours, taxis to the airport (airport is a stretch; landing strip is more like it).

It is definitely worth taking Aidan’s quad tour. He has great knowledge of the peninsula and provides “insider’s” insight throughout the afternoon. The waterfalls are beautiful and worth the trek. Be sure to wear more than flip flops because the rocks can be hard to navigate once your flops are wet.

Fishing was fun and afterwards the guide fillets the fish and wraps them up for you to take home. Surfing lessons from Elery were helpful but a beginner can get tired before the lesson is even over.

We took the quad over to the nature reserve for a hike. We spotted numerous butterflies and birds and a few monkeys. Ironically, when we arrived back at Moana that afternoon there were more monkeys outside our room window than what we saw at the reserve.

Horseback riding was a treat. They actually let you run the horses but be sure you are honest about your riding abilities or you’ll end up on a racer who will scare the wits out of you.

Be sure to take enough cash if possible. The bank can be a nightmare – long lines and tons of paperwork. Moana will pay for all your activities and allow you to pay them directly which is great but you can’t charge it to a credit card as you do your room.

There was a variety of food in the area – from pizza to fresh caught seafood. The soda across the street is delicious but come knowing basic Spanish or you might be out of luck. Most restaurants have an English/Spanish menu so even the novice can navigate.

We have fond memories of this vacation and it has become one of our favorites. Unfortunately, future vacations have been compared to Costa Rica and many have not met the mark. The hospitality and care provided to us at Moana Lodge will always be remembered and we hope others have the opportunity to enjoy its riches.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
moanamanager, Owner at Hotel Moana, responded to this review, 6 August 2009
After almost a year of being closed I just wanted to say how pleased we were to read your recent review and reading that you had a great holiday spent here with us. We always aim to provide our guests with the holiday they wanted so it’s very rewarding when people leave with happy memories.
It was a tough decision to close for a year but we felt it was the only choice. Were finally back open, with new ocean view rooms and a new restaurant. So we hope to see you back soon so you can check out the new upgrades.
Again Id like to thank everyone for taking the time to write reviews, this means a lot to us, as it keeps us on our toes and shows that the hard work we put in is appreciated.
Gracias, Moana Lodge
los angeles
Reviewed 25 May 2009

we had a wonderful time at moana - totally recommend it. aiden and vicky (the owners) are very sweet and helpful. me and my girlfriend got a stomach bug that was going around - and vicky made us some chicken soup when we felt that we could keep something down. they also arranged some very fun activities - our favorite being the ziplining through the rain forest - and atvs to get around. they also recommended places to eat - Mary's is not to be missed.

our rooms were very comfortable and nice. well done with an african theme. the first two nights we were there - we had a standard room. very comfortable with a queen bed and a single bed. the last two nights we stayed in one of their larger rooms - with a king sized and twin bed - and a porch with a hammock. very nice!!

the only down side to moana is that it is a little far from the beach - about a 20 min walk to playa carmen. you can get to the coast in about 5 min - but not a great place to lay out or swim - more of a rocky coastline/pretty view. also, playa carmen/santa teresa is where a lot of the restaurants and shops are.

we loved mal pais and thought it was so amazing/relaxing that we went back 7 months later - unfortunately moana was closed for some renovations/additions - but aiden was helpful in suggesting other places for us to stay!

we would love to go back and stay at moana again. we had an amazing time there!!!

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank losangelesjeremy
Killaloe
Reviewed 17 April 2009

In fairness to a fellow irish man ( pity he's a Leinster man and not a Munster man) , AIdan and Vicki have found a special hide-away resort that will blow you away once you arrive. You always want to have that get away from it all holiday and find that special place , then luck no further . This place has it all if you want , the rooms are perfect in the forest setting . There's a real African feel and the howling Monkeys add to this every morning. The staff are excellent , friendly and always there if you need something or help with anything. The communal breakfast idea is perfect to get to know the other guests and of course there's the pool. The sorrunding area is perfect with really nice resturants and of course the perfect beaches which are only five minutes walk. There's also lots of activities in the area especailly great to get that canopy tour.It was our first time in CR and we had a 3 week plan to travel and get to see as much as possilbe. We booked here for 3 nights with connections onwards but had to re-arrange everything once I got here. So we ended up spending 7 nights here and then we had to leave. Now being back at home in the doom and gloomy weather and recession.I think of Mal Pais and where I stayed which made this a holiday not to forget , and yes I will be going back there for at least a two week stay soon as I can. Can't wait to hang around the new hill-top bar every evening having a few with the sun set going down.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
#7 of 8 in Mal Pais
Hotel The Place
Hotel The Place
#5 of 8 in Mal Pais

Been to Hotel Moana? Share your experiences!