“Relaxing, enjoyable and memorable place to get away from your routine.......”
Review of Hotel Moana

Hotel Moana
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Mal Pais
Miami, Florida
“Relaxing, enjoyable and memorable place to get away from your routine.......”
Reviewed 8 August 2010

The hotel had a unique beautiful design, check out pictures for yourself....!
It was surrounded by nature's enchanments.....exotic birds, flowers, butterflies etc....
The staff was courteous, friendly and very catering to their guest.....!!!
We were pleased with the cleanliness of the room and common areas. We were definetely pleased with the service. Furthermore, the food at the restaurant was exquisite.....not to forget the drinks at the bar....!
Lastly, we enjoyed that the staff was bilingual!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2010

My husband and I just returned from 2 nights in Malpais; I had booked this place to celebrate my husband's birthday and I highly recommend it!! We've travelled extensively around the world and this place is simply breathtaking (we stayed in a Junior Suite, which has an outdoor shower!). We had an amazing dinner at the Papaya Restaurant on one of the night's and the breakfasts were hearty with both a savoury and sweet option.
We will definitely be coming back soon!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I travel more than most people for business. I've stayed at amazing hotels around the world and I've always done a more than good job at researching well where I'm going to go.

I was invited here for my birthday and it was by far one of the best memories of my life. We stayed at one of the suites which in my opinion, if you're going to go, get one of these, it had a studio, and a king size bed overlooking the ocean with an outdoor shower. The room was out of Wallpaper magazine and the details they put in really make the place special.

The pool was spectacular, the food was really amazing. We had a gourmet dinner for 60 dollars including several drinks that in the real world of say NY would have cost you $200. The owner is very very nice and accommodating and you really feel you are in a family-run boutique hotel.

Malpais is a jewel in CR. I'm from Costa Rica so I know the area well and this is definitely a place I will stay in again, and Moanda Lodge has become one of my favorite hotels in the world.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We were looking to get away for a week- just lie low, explore a bit, and eat well! We got exactly that at Moana. We loved our room, and the restaurant was fantastic for both breakfast and dinner. Aidan and Vicki were very helpful in arranging tours and providing recommendations. Would love to go back!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
charleston, South Carolina, USA
Reviewed 22 July 2010

We chose to spend part of our honeymoon at Moana Lodge.

During the long and (very) bumpy taxi ride, I began to question our choices until we pulled up to Moana Lodge. The lush landscaping was a welcome change to the dusty, arid view we had in the taxi. The room we had was gorgeous, modern and clean, with huge windowed doors that slid open to create a completely open living area with a killer view of the beach down the hill. We stayed in a suite, and I highly recommend those. Very private. The pool was nice and partially shaded if you were sick of the sun, and we lolled around on their swinging beds quite a bit.

The restaurant, also open air and boasting killer views, offered us the best food in the area. Breakfast was complimentary and delicious, and dinner was something I looked forward to every night.

The road to town was a long and dusty one; we chose to walk to town every day, but saw many others that rented a car or a four wheeler, so that option may entice you more than a long walk, but we didn't mind it. The food there in town was hit or miss, as was expected, but the ceviche was delicious everywhere we had it. There was a small bakery there in town that was really delicious, so hit that up if you're craving a sandwich.

The beach was gorgeous. Sunsets were fabulous. Water was perfect, and the waves were huge. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 July 2010

I traveled to Mal Pais last week with my boyfriend and another couple, and we stayed at Moana Lodge. All of these good reviews are true- it's amazing! The grounds are beautiful and well kept, the rooms are clean (we stayed in a deluxe room, friends had the Junior Suite. Ours was awesome, theirs was extra super awesome). The pool area is really nice, and we almost always had it to ourselves. They have a little pool bar where you just take whatever and write it down on a list, they charge you when you check out.

The Papaya Lounge and Restaurant is way at the top of the hill. So many steps (feel the burn!), but so worth it. The panoramic view is incredible. Breakfast is included every morning, and it's not some crap stale croissant and lukewarm coffee. It's real, delicious, hearty breakfast. They had two options every morning, savory or sweet, plus fresh juice plus coffee plus the views and oh man, I wish I could eat breakfast there every day of my life. We actually ate dinner there quite a few times, too. Such great ambiance- open and airy, good music, and they served some of the best food we ate while in Costa Rica. And the drinks...I've never had a more delicious mojito. Most of the time the owner Aidan was up there bartending, and we had a good time just hanging out talking with him, listening to stories. He's warm and friendly, and so is the rest of the staff (Felix is the best!), and that really made our stay extra special. I felt like they all went out of the way to get to know us a bit and make sure we were having a good time. They weren't stuffy or super formal, they were all just cool, down-to-earth people who gave great advice about what to do around town.

We went ziplining, horseback riding, and fishing while we were there, friends took surf lessons and rented an ATV, all coordinated through Moana. I'm usually a 'go-it-alone' type, I like to do my research and pick my own places for stuff like that, but I'd suggest just letting Moana help you out with all that. It makes it so much easier, and it felt good knowing that they trusted these places. Plus, if you book through Moana, you don't need to pay up front, you can just pay cash when you check out.

All in all, Moana Lodge totally surpassed my expectations, which were already pretty high from all these good reviews. I'm so glad we stayed here, and we'd definitely come back!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 June 2010

First off the "just ok" couple that wrote the review below were just ok themselves.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon at the Moana Lodge and cannot even tell you what a wonderful experience we had! We were in one of the junior suites, which was just gorgeous, super clean, smelled nice and the outdoor shower was heaven on earth! The view was splendid: ocean, trees, monkeys, butterflies, flowers, hummingbirds.....stunning!

The restaurant even had a better view than from our room if that is possible! Great food, especially the huevos rancheros and pinto gallo, and I loved getting avocadoes with my breakfast. YUM. Dinner also was amazing, and the drinks were really good, and the wonderful chef even cooked us a dinner of a very delish fish stew and salad with grilled calamari one night while all the power was out on the whole peninsula! Thank you!!

At the end of our stay, we were reluctant to leave this paradise. Aidan & Vicky were super helpful and clearly very mindful of making sure the property was perfect at all times even though at times during our 2 weeks we were the only ones there. Despite it being "green" season, we thought it was the perfect time to go... some rain, some sun, not too hot, not too many bugs, and best of all, not too many darn tourists! We were able to take in many parts of the peninsula, and typically had the place (i.e. town, beach ,restaurant) to ourselves.

We took time to check out many other properties in the area, and relished in the fact that we clearly chose the best spot in Mal Pais!! Thanks Aidan, Vicky, Ruth, Felix, Natalia, the pup Molly and all the rest of the staff at Moana Lodge. Hope to see you again soon!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
#6 of 8 in Mal Pais
Atrapasuenos Dreamcatcher Hotel
Atrapasuenos Dreamcatcher Hotel
#17 of 26 in Santa Teresa

Been to Hotel Moana? Share your experiences!