“Perfect week”

Hotel Vista de Olas
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Mal Pais
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 November 2012

My girlfriend and I spent a week here in mid November. It was perfect. Roger picked us up from the airport got us set up in our villa. The whole experience was stress-free. Roger is a really interesting guy with great stories. He makes you feel like you're staying with your cool, rich uncle.

The location is amazing. There was only one day I did not make it back to the swim-up bar in the infinity pool for the 4 pm happy hour/sunset viewing. All the views are stunning. The bartenders are great and the guests are all pretty cool and fun. We did a ton of surfing and atv-ing. Great trip!

Room Tip: All are similar - private villas
1  Thank Chris_Caballero
DodgerMalPais, Owner at Hotel Vista de Olas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2012

Thank you for everything and hope to see you soon. Regards Roger

Reviewed 13 November 2012

Vista de Olas was wonderful. My husband and I stayed for 6 days at the very beginning of the season (in early November). We basically had the place to ourselves. Our villa was clean and private and had an indoor shower as well as the outdoor shower. There was even a little kitchenette. The resort is high up on the hill so you get great views of the ocean and a nice breeze. Roger and his family were very sweet. His son took us on the quad tour around the jungle and was very knowledgable.

The whole town was so pleasant, too. Lots of little shops and restaurants to go to. Even a tattoo shop where I got some ink! Definitely rent a quad to get around because it allows you to fit in more fun stuff, like ziplining, kayaking, swimming, fishing, horseback riding, etc. Pretty much all of those activities can be arranged through the resort, too.

I can't wait to come back and bring the kids. Oh, one last thing. Shake out your clothes before you put them on because I put my pants on with a scorpion inside and it stung me!! Yikes! It wasn't poisonous so it was more of a good vacation story than a life threatening event. :)

Room Tip: Villa #1 is shortest walk to the driveway/front of the resort, but it's still very private.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for writing a review for us. It was a pleasure meeting you guys and hope to meet your kids soon. Take care. Regards Roger

Reviewed 9 November 2012

My wife and I had a fantastic time in Costa Rica, and a lot of that has to do with Roger and the entire Vista de Olas staff. They made us feel like an extension to their family and went out of their way to ensure we had a great time. It truly felt like we were staying at my cool uncle Roger's house the entire time we were there. The Villa was awesome and the pool and view were absolutely stunning. We found the place via a LivingSocial deal and the value we got was great. I read one review that said the owner's didn't like the customers who came via LivingSocial. I can tell you this is definitely NOT the case.

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa # 2, which was a good size and has an awesome, unobstructed view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
DodgerMalPais, Owner at Hotel Vista de Olas, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Thanks guys for everything it was really nice to of meet you guys. My house is your house any time.
Hope to see you guys down here with our kids. Also thanks for the help with the wifi. Regards the Vista team.

Reviewed 6 November 2012

We stayed from 11/1 until 11/5/12 at vista de olas. The villas are awesome, the view is breathtaking, the pool was fantastic and the cuisine, as well as the staff, couldn't have been better! Roger and Heidi have created an fabulous atmosphere and are such nice people. We will definitely be back! Highly recommend vista de olas!

• Stayed: October 2012

All of us from the Vista team just want to say Thank you for everything. Stay the way you are and we wish you lots of luck and Love on the new path your on. best regards the Vista Team

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Absolutely fantastic place to stay. There are only 5 villas so the place is very private and peaceful. The bar/pool is open to the public after 4pm. This didn't bother us but is something to consider (I think most hotels around the area have this). Kristen was running the place (owners were on vacation) and she was absolutely wonderful. Would help us with the numerous questions we had (probably asked her 10 questions everytime we saw her). The view is breathtaking. The dinner involves you picking your meat and grilling it yourself on the grill. My boyfriend and I loved this but if you want to be served they don't do that for dinner. The breakfast is included and was generally eggs/rice/beans and fruit but we also had french toast. The cook in the morning is great.

The rooms are fantastic. They clean them every day, The open air bathroom was a new experience and we both loved it.

There IS a surcharge if you use a Visa card. We went into town and pulled out cash to pay. This saved us about $200. You can pay in either colones or American dollars.

The hotel is set apart from the "town" which was really nice. You could take a taxi (about 3000 colones or $6) or easily walk this to town. Beach access was easy but this place is NOT on the beach.

We both would highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Vista de Olas is truly spectacular! Roger, his family, and staff treated us wonderfully during our stay. We were there for our honeymoon and our experience was amazing. We loved our villa, the food, and the unbelievable view from the pool! Mal Pais is beautiful and captivating; the people are incredibly friendly; and our visit was extraordinary. Thank you!! Dawn and Jim

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This was my first time to Costa Rica and had no idea how remote we would be. It was super cool finding your way around, but first time visitors should keep this in mind.
Hotel Vista deOlas is a small family run resort that is breathtakingly beautiful. Up on a hill with an infinity pool... you never get tired of sitting outside looking at the ocean. Because you are up on the hill, you can't really go for a walk. We rented ATV's and had the time of our life. You can also rent a car or have the staff call a taxi. But you will need some kind of transportation so you can go exploring.
The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. It would have been easier if the gal making breakfast spoke some English, but we managed.
Our group stayed in Villa 1, 2, and 3.
1 & 3 had outdoor bathrooms. Completely private and I loved it but maybe not for everyone.
Villa 2 had an indoor bathroom with an additional outdoor shower.
Villa 3 had the best view (of the three) but lacked a counter to spread out your stuff. The fact that they are all slightly different is super cool.
Overall, the was the most relaxing vacation I can remember. I will definatley go back. Until then, I have a photo of the view from the pool as my computer desktop... : )

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
#5 of 8 in Mal Pais
Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort
Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort
#13 of 27 in Santa Teresa

Been to Hotel Vista de Olas? Share your experiences!