“Great time at Vista de Olas”

Hotel Vista de Olas
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Mal Pais
GreenLeadersBronze level
colorado springs
“Great time at Vista de Olas”
Reviewed 17 December 2012

My husband and I had a great time here at Vista de Olas in Mal Pais. The hotel is far enough off the beach and away from the "town" so you have privacy. The views from the hotel are amazing as well. Be prepared to walk often and up the hills if you don't have an ATV. The staff was great as well, very friendly and personable- everyone knew our names by day 2. :) Not too much to do if you aren't big on surfing, but a great place to get away from the hussle and bussle and just relax.

Roger and Heidi and the rest of the staff were great. And breakfast was always nice, although I would have liked a bit more variety. Overall, we had an amazing time and would highly recommend a trip here to stay at Vista de Olas.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
DodgerMalPais, Owner at Hotel Vista de Olas, responded to this review, 24 December 2012
Thank you for your nice review regards Roger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Brooklyn, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 11 December 2012

This place is top notch! The views are incredible and so are the amenities and staff. We had a group that stayed a week here for a wedding, and we all had a fantastic time. The location is perfect for relaxing or being adventurous. We chose to find balance with both, and were not disappointed at all. We would love to return in the near future!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
I'am glad you guys had a good time. Thanks for everything nice meeting you.
Regards Roger
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed 10 December 2012

My bf and I (31 and 39) went to Vista De Olas through a living social deal. I would've never known about this amazing place had it not been for the great deal that popped up in my inbox and looked rather interesting. After some research, I realized it was nowhere near the San Jose airport, so we took a Sansa (small jet) flight from San Jose to Tambor. I highly recommend this since driving will take 5-6 hrs and gas is about $6/gal, and you would spend alot renting a 4x4. The short flight from the international airport to Tambor was only 25 min, and cost about $200 roundtrip for 2. Roger (the owner), picked us up from there and we stopped to have one of the best lunches I've had in my life (and I LOVE food!). Included in our deal was an ATV ride through the jungle, with a visit to the butterfly garden and hiking through the mountains to amazing waterfalls. We also did horseback riding on the beach and walked all over the nearby towns and the beaches for hours on end. There is so much natural beauty to see there; and even though I am not at all an active person, trying new experiences was really fun. This was the first vacation where I actually LOST weight! lol. Being so active in Mal Pais brought me out of my shell a little bit, and while I was huffing and puffing the first day, by day 4 it was a breeze. We tried about 6 different restaurants and the food was amazing and incredibly fresh! We wanted to try surfing and fishing, so we will definitely be back for that.
The resort is gorgeous, the owner, his family and his staff are AMAZING! We felt like we left there making life-long friends. Overall, I feel that the whole trip was worth much more than we paid for it. Showering outside was so liberating that we purchased one for our backyard as soon as we got home. =)
One of the most important things for me was that this place feels and IS very safe! We were walking around in the middle of the night by the town and no one even seems to notice you. I didn't feel like I had to worry about being mugged or anything like that. The people are so sweet and genuine. I would recommend this place to anybody (especially new travelers).
For the best possible experience, heed these WARNINGS:
- DO NOT go to Mal Pais without sneakers/hiking boots/water shoes and long pants. Flip flops on the incredibly steep hills are not going to work. Dress very comfy. Forget about being cute with this rugged terrain.
- Bring enough cash! The food and drinks were pricier than I expected.
- Make sure you have $2.25 per person each way for taxes for the small jet to Tambor, AND leave enough money for taxes and cab fare at the resort (approx $200 total), AND $28 per person for taxes to exit Costa Rica. I didn't bring my bank card, because I was trying to carry as little as possible in case we got robbed. We almost got screwed, because I wasn't aware of all the taxes.
- Make sure you have sunscreen and bug spray (or purchase it when you get there). You WILL need it!
- If you are flying with Spirit airlines, they will charge you $50 per person for carry on, and MORE for baggage. Pack a few key things in a small (one personal item is allowed for free) bookbag (t-shirts, shorts, bathing suits), wear your jeans and sneakers on the plane and you will be set.
- One last thing... Don't forget your CAMERA!!! (and passports, of course).
All in all, I LOVE Costa Rica, I LOVE Vista De Olas, and we will definitely be back! Thank you Roger, Heidi, the boys, the staff - Randall and Rodrigo for making this the best vacation we've ever had.
P.S. I don't know what the people who wrote negative reviews are talking about. Roger is very personable and laid back. We never felt like we were being treated differently because we were there through Living Social, and we never felt pressured to eat at his restaurant (which, by the way, has AMAZING steak). Definitely visit this place!

Pura Vida!!!

1 Thank Jeanetta T
Thanks so much for everything. It was really nice talking to you guys and getting to know both of you. Don't forget don't ever give up. Regards Roger
Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We had our wedding at Vista de Olas on the 27th of November and had an amazing time! Roger and Heidi definitely put special thought and care into making our day special. Everything was perfect from the flowers to the candles and the AMAZING dinner! We had the best filet mignon of our lives! We had a group of 28 people that came with us for the week and every one of them loved Vista! Not to mention they have the best sunset in Mal Pais! I would definitely recommend them to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for having such a Beautiful Wedding. All of us at Vista de Olas wish both of you lots of Love and a ton of fun on the new path you both have chosen. Stay the way you both are and enjoy life. Vista de Olas send lots of Love and Hugs Roger
Sequim, Washington
Reviewed 6 December 2012

The views, are of course stunning, breathtaking, hypnotizing almost. It was the unexpected wildlife that put this place over the top. We had binoculars and could easily see the family of howler monkeys jump from branch to branch. All kinds of birds would fly right by the pool and hang out on the palm tree beside it. We could spy surfers catching waves on the beach below. The room was huge (villa 1) and had a great view as well. We opted for the BBQ dinner with fish. It was delicious and a lot of food. I've been to out of the way places were luxury and ammenities had to be sacrificed for the location. Not here, they had it all, including tasty cocktails. Roger was not just friendly but amazingly helpful and gave us good "short cut" directions for the next part of our trip. The drive ended up being one of the highlights of our time in Costa Rica. I'll be back.

Room Tip: We were in Villa 1 and had a family of howler monkeys living in the trees close by. Amazing to watch...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Thanks for everything it was great meeting you guys. I,am sure we will see you guys up north in the next couple of years. Regards Roger
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 2 December 2012

Vista de Olas was by far our favorite place we stayed in Costa Rica—great view, excellent rooms (everyone has a view of the ocean) and it has a really cool and friendly family that runs it. This place is over all just really special...I love the location and feel. Because it was situated on a hill, it gets a cool ocean breeze and you get a much better view (hence the name). It is also very private and secluded, which is nice. The road is fairly steep and rough to get to it...but if you aren't up for a little adventure, than Costa Rica might not be your thing anyway.

I put "average" on the fitness center because I don't think there is one. Go walk up the hill or go surf if you want a work out :)

Room Tip: Honestly, any of the 5 private villas are amazing. We stayed in number 1.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
DodgerMalPais, Owner at Hotel Vista de Olas, responded to this review, 3 December 2012
Thank you for writing a nice review for us. The Vista team wishes you guys all the best.
Best regards Roger
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 November 2012

First trip to Costa Rica and Roger and the team made it a spanking good time (figuratively of course!). The only thing I'm bitter about is that another reviewer already coined the term "Fun Uncle Roger". Take the time to get to know him, he has great stories and is one cool kat. If you're looking for a place that has the best infinity pool with the best view, a family feel with a touch of luxury, this is for you. Can't say enough about the staff - grab a drink by the pool and chat with bartenders Josh and Luke (super fun guys).

A few things to keep in mind to make sure you have the best time: make sure to do your research beforehand and be informed about the way Visa and Mastercard work in Costa Rica (cash in hand is the smart way to go). Also, happy hour at the VDO pool is open to the public which is a great time to sit back, relax (with a frozen mojito in hand) and get to know tourists and locals alike - I've met some of the coolest expats drinking by the pool. Finally, for those of you who were lucky to have signed up for the Living Social deal, you'll find that the experience you get, food, villa, activities, service was definitely worth the price (it was for me!).

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
You hit it on the nail PURA VIDA. It was really nice taking to you at the wet bar almost everyday.
Thank you for writing a review for us. Hope to see you at the wet bar. Best regards Roger
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mal Pais
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas
Blue Jay Lodge
Blue Jay Lodge
#5 of 8 in Mal Pais

Been to Hotel Vista de Olas? Share your experiences!