“Amazing vacation!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Amazing vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Like most of the other reviewers, I had an incredible time at Vista de Olas. From Roger's hospitality and Jaime's attention to detail to make sure my best friend and I were well taken care of during our entire stay, to the sheer gorgeousness of the property and the unbelievably fun activities that we took part in (ATV'ing, waterfall jumping, fishing, and ziplining), I could not have had a better time in Mal Pais. This is a fantastic destination for couples or small groups of friends or family. The entire crew at the hotel is welcoming and accommodating. One of my favorite parts of the trip was getting an opportunity to meet and bond with the other couples staying in the other villas, and since the hotel is small, it's easy to do that. Fantastic experience!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

From the day we booked our stay at Vista de Olas Roger and the Vista team was extremely accommodating. They truly made making arrangements during our stay easy. Staying at Vista de Olas was unreal. The Villas were exactly as pictured on the website, the infinity pool was beautiful and the staff was great! Vista de Olas is the only place to stay. We were sad to leave but looking forward to making it back someday. Roger, Heidi and family were awesome and made us feel at home while we were there.

• Stayed June 2013
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

This was probably one of the best vacations we have ever taken. At first I was hesitant being as the only form of communication is email, but Roger was awesome on being responsive. I probably emailed him about 20 times but he never made me feel I was bothersome. It was my first time to Costa Rica and I didn't know about all the extra trips (connecting flight from Sansa, and then 1 hour drive in a taxi) it took to get there so I was kinda nervous. We did pretty much everything there was to do, ATV Tour and Canopy Tour (ziplining) by far our favorite!!!! We also did fishing and horseback riding. What was nice was that after everything we did, there was still enough time to relax. Roger was great at setting everything up and making you feel at home. The place is absolutely beautiful and Loca, Sky, Sasha, Kung Fu & Panda are some new furry friends you'll meet. We definitely will be back!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

My husband and I went to Costa Rica for our honeymoon... first time travelers there. Roger and Heidi made us feel so welcome at Vista de Olas, and it was our favorite stay of the entire trip! Their staff members are great and very friendly. Everyone is eager to give you suggestions of things to do, places to eat, etc. We stayed in Villa #2 which was so cute and had a Great view! Nothing like waking up to butterflies and hummingbirds outside your window, and I great view of the coast below. Breakfast was complimentary and varied each morning, which was nice. The ATV tour to the waterfall in Montezuma was great!

We had a wonderful time in Mal Pais, and Vista de Olas was certainly part of it. We would definitely stay there again and recommend the villas!

Room Tip: Villa #3 was recommended before we went, but we stayed in #2 since the other was booked. We had a gr...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Kingman, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

Wow! That may be the best decription for our experience at Hotel Vista de Olas. My wife and I traveled to Costa Rica to celebrate our 25th anniversary. Our first days were spent near the arenal volcano where we participated in a number of physical activites, so we were looking forward to a very relaxing and restful five days in Mal Pais. Arriving at Vista de Olas we were immediately greeted by Roger and Heidi, the owners and managers of the property. With only five villas available and ten resident guests total, we received the personal attention not found at normal accommodations. We were about a ten minute walk downhill to the beach. However, the benefits outweighed any inconvenience. Each morning we witnessed a family of howler monkeys make their way through the trees during our downhill walk. Once arriving at the beach we found it beautiful and secluded. Our only company there was a group of wild horses. Also the view from atop the hill was spectacular. Each evening my wife and I would find ourselves at the pool patio and bar visiting with the other guests waiting for the sunsets. I would challenge others to find a more perfect viewing site for sunsets. The villas were not extravagant, but they were clean, comfortable and unique. We really enjoyed the outside shower and facilities. The view was amazing from the porch, windows and shower. Their definition of a barbeque was a little different than in Kansas. We arrived to find a selection of quality steaks and chicken to be placed on the grill to be cooked to our own preference. In fact we grilled them ourselves. Although my wife and I were there for rest and relaxation, we spent hours walking the beach and the main street of St. Teresa. We met wonderful people, took great pictures, and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Thanks to Roger and Heidi for a memorable experience and anniversary.

Dwight and Donna
Kingman, KS

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Santa Ana, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

Fantastic spot, secluded and as others have mentioned a bit tough to get to BUT so worth it when you are sitting with a drink in your hand watching the sunset across that amazing infinity pool. My bungalow was clean and spaciaous with a great view of the beach below. Very quiet and peaceful there. The owner Roger was very accomodating and helpful. Great laid back atmostphere that I really enjoyed. The ATV tour was my favorite, got to see some great beaches, amazing views, waterfalls and a nice lunch in town. Would go again in a hearbeat! I live in Santa Ana, with the ferry it took me about 4.5 hours but the view from the ferry is fantastic and the ride again is worth it when you get there. Highly recommend

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

OMG! Words can't express the beauty of Hotel Vista de Olas and Mal Pais! We were celebrating a birthday (Memorial Weekend). Roger, Heidi and Swen were awesome! Beautiful souls. They really took care of us and made our magical trip stress free. Any activity that you want to do the Olas crew will make sure it happens and make it seamless. We met beautiful couples that shared in the festivities. The hotel is very private that makes you feel like you have the place to yourself. This is a perfect place for couples to bond and share the wonderful life of Costa Rica. The ATV ride and Canopy tour should be mandatory for anyone who comes to Vista de Olas. Very laid back atmosphere with no worries! It was rainy season and not a lot of tourist which made the trip even more special! All the plush forests, gorgeous beaches and sunsets were very romantic. The food was fresh and tasty. Poolside chats with the other guests and locals were warm and welcoming. The taste of Central America at its finest!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa #1. All the rooms are private and have very scenic views. We were able to see t...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
#6 of 9 in Mal Pais
Indigo Yoga Surf Resort
Indigo Yoga Surf Resort
#7 of 9 in Mal Pais

Been to Hotel Vista de Olas? Share your experiences!