“Great Hotel! Best View!!”

Hotel Vista de Olas
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Mal Pais
GreenLeadersBronze level
Pembroke Pines, Florida
“Great Hotel! Best View!!”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We had a such a great experience and look forward to going back! The owner, his family and staff were overwhelmingly friendly and kind and the hotel was very clean and comfortable. The view from the pool is to die-for! The ATV tour and the zipling are a must-do!!

I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I booked a 6-night trip through living social. When we arrived at the reception area, and I was thrilled to see that the view was just as beautiful as it was on the website. Roger made setting up the tours easy. We did the ATV ride and zip lining which were both amazing. We tried to schedule the adventure activities w/other couples which made things all the more entertaining. We've never stayed in a hotel without television, but we didn't miss it after a couple of days. Also there was a bar in town where we could watch football. Roger's sons were extremely hospitable as well. I hated to leave. Bring a light just in case the power goes out.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My buddy and I are 30 yr old surfers and we just spent 7 days at vista de las olas. As our time there passed I only became more confident that we had made the best choice for where to stay. Our goal for the trip was surf. We were nervous about Vista being not a good place for two surfers but realized soon that it suited us as perfectly as it suited our neighbors, a ~50yr old couple on a sight seeing / relaxation trip. We knew basically nothing about Mal Pais or Santa Teresa before coming but Roger, the owner and manager, answered our questions over email to help us prepare and when we got there and met Roger, his wife Heidi and their two surfer sons Michi, and Swen we found that we were staying with a family deeply rooted in Santa Teresa and Mal Pais that were very knowledgable about whatever we needed to know including surf spots, who the notable locals were, and what the notable activities or venues were. It was also cool that Roger used to live in in San Diego. The rooms and common areas were nicely decorated and clean. We ended up befriending the hotel staff. There are about 8 not including Roger and Heidi. I found them all to be cool, genuine and pleasant. I noted their sense for keeping everyone taken care of and felt welcome while also giving space. They are either all experienced in service or the Hotel gives good training. The environment around the hotel is relaxed without a bunch of rules or signs asking you to keep off the grass. It's definitely all about everyone having a good time. It is a peice of cake to rent an atv from the hotel for transportation or to have a cab called to take you into town. The surf there is great with surfable waves almost every day. It is biggest in the wet season, July-November, and moderate in the dry season, December-June. I thought the atv tour was awesome and the zip lining was electric. The nightlife in town is so-so compared to what I am used to in San Diego. I really enjoyed the breakfast each morning. There was not a big bug problem like I was afraid there would be. After the first night I stopped wearing bug spray and despite wearing board shorts and optional shirt the entire time I came away with only one bite on my ankle. Part of the reason for this is that there are less mosquitoes up the hill at vista de las olas compared to down in Santa Teresa.

Our trip to Santa Teresa and Mal Pais was an adventure. I was happy though to return each night to a place wear I felt safe and welcomed with people I could trust.

• Stayed December 2013
Aurora, ON
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Just stayed there with my sista, for 7 nights. We must say, the view is spectacular, the villa is
amazing, a huge king sized bed, canopy style, with a sitting area and sink/fridge and counter top in the same room. The bathroom is outside, amazing view of stars and nature, well done.
The staff is wonderful, but one thing that is lacking is the choice offered for breakfast. The same fruit everyday, one type of bread, one type of juice and the dishes and cups need to be replaced due to many chips on them. The barbecue dinner needs to be improved, the breast of chicken especially is very small and could have been marinated to add more flavor. As per the owners, smoking while your guests are eating breakfast, was not appropriate. Missing that warm greeting--tours were great, ATV and zip lining were great adventures in the jungle. As for the spa, not in operation yet, a massage can be requested from a local connection the owners have. The pool is beautiful, salt water would have been amazing, since we are near the ocean. A great relaxing spot, just be prepared to spend money on a vehicle as the hill is very steep and rocky.

Room Tip: There are 5 villas to choose from, some are smaller.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Wulles
Oceanside, California
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My wife and I bought a package deal for Vista de Olas through living social that included a 4 night stay, a ATV tour to montezuma falls, your choice of zip lining, surf lesson, or horseback riding, a bottle of wine, $30 bar/restaurant/spa credit, 2 welcome cocktails, and a killer BBQ dinner. It was well worth the price by far. Roger, his wife Heidi, and their 2 sons are running a truly special family business with THE BEST villas with the best views on the Nicoya peninsula. Our Vista de Olas experience was our favorite out of many great ones in Costa Rica. I know we'll go back soon. If you're going to malpaís, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Spent 2 weeks there for the second time and again it was unforgettable.
You must be open to this awesome family who run the place and is responsible for bringing all the charm and the key difference between vista de olas and any other place on earth. Each villa is spread apart from one another so you only feel you are in a hotel by sunset around the infinity pool, when others gather around to applaud the most beautiful sunset you have ever seen day after day.
Cant wait to return.

• Stayed January 2013
St. Croix
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Where do I start, well first off Hotel Vista de Olas is a beautiful hotel! It has the best view and the ambiance is so relaxing! My Husband and I went to Costa Rica for our honeymoon and we couldn't have picked as better place to stay. Roger and Heidi both went above and beyond to make both of us comfortable and feel like family! Not only is this place beautiful and peaceful , but the staff is incredible. They took very good care of us and even gave us a little extra with the surprise of flowers and champagne when we arrived, Renting us an ATV for the 6 days we were there, which I highly recommend to do if you stay here. Words can't describe how much being at Vista de olas with the amazing company of Roger and Heidi made our honeymoon all the more special!!! I HIGHLY recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel The Place
Hotel The Place
#6 of 8 in Mal Pais
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas

Been to Hotel Vista de Olas? Share your experiences!