“Awesome place - Missing the pool and pina colodas”

Hotel Vista de Olas
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Mal Pais
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We had a fun and relaxing time during our stay! The owner Roger, his fam and staff were all great- super friendly and helpful. That pool was our favorite! It has such an amazing view- we enjoyed the swim up bar & pina colodas every day watching the sunset. The food was amazing! We tried the rib eye, bacon wrapped filet and fish as well as the salad bar - all delicious! We also had breakfast there every morning- all soo good! We really enjoyed the feel of the small resort- in the mornings it was really quiet and peaceful - we would drink our coffee, relax and take in the gorgeous view. In the afternoon, the resort then opened up to the tourists for happy hour which was fun. We stayed in Villa 1- which was convenient, being the first villa off the path- and was still very quiet! Roger and his fam made it very easy when scheduling/arranging our excursions, etc- We did ziplining and the ATV tour/waterfalls and massages - all I highly recommend! It was alot of walking when exploring outside of the resort- and alot of uphill (especially walking back up to the resort). The beach was about a 10-15 minute walk from the resort which wasn't too bad. Overall, a great place to stay!

Reviewed 6 March 2014

My daughter lived in coaster Rica for two years so I got to make many visits. A friend of hers took us to Vista de olas in Mal pais for drinks and dinner one night. I have been back three times. It is a clean and safe place to stay. The staff waits on you hand and foot. Roger and Heidi who are the owners are delightful. It is the best place I have ever been, and it has the most beautiful sunset you have ever seen. The staff waits on you hand and foot. You never have to ask twice for a drink. They even walk you to your room if you have had too much to drink. It is a beautiful place. It is clean it is safe. We already have our reservations booked for next year. Go. You will not be disappointed !!!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Kathyaharvey
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Vista de Olas was an amazing experience. The hospitality and friendliness of Roger and Heidi, their awesome sons, and a caring staff only contributed to the beauty of the resort. They went out of their way to make sure we got to experience all Mal Pais had to offer (horseback riding, ATVs, waterfalls, ziplining, etc). And the view of the sunset from the resort pool was one of the most spectacular sights I've seen. Our villa was beautiful, clean, and spacious with good AC. Admittedly, I was not looking forward to the outside showers (although private), but showering under the beautiful night sky full of so many stars was something I will never forget. Absolutely amazing. The entire experience was wonderful, ...except....maybe the driveway. It can be a bit of a challenge to get up to the top if you're not in a 4WD vehicle. But to end on a high note, the morning chef, Diego, made the best breakfast potatoes I've ever eaten in my life.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Vista was above any expectations I could have ever had.
We booked with a coupon from " Living Social" so I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into.
The setting is so beautiful you can't put it into words.
The staff was so kind, friendly, caring and helpful with the surrounding area spots to visit.

I can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: There are only 5 villas and we stayed in Villa #2, Roger gave us the history of this location and I...
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Five star resorts have nothing on V de O. It is so beautiful. The pool is perfect, the villas are clean, and showering under the stars is an experience I will never forget. The staff seem genuinely interested in making sure we had everything we needed. I loved it with my entire being.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I read those negative reviews and was skeptical...it turns out that Roger and Heidi were the perfect hosts. They went out of their way to make sure we were having a good time. The property is outstanding...the staff is exceptional...the driveway is...well, unforgettable. We used the Living Social package and were never made to feel like second class guests. Upon check-out, there were no surprises...everything was as we were lead to expect. We could not have been happier with the entire experience...except maybe for the driveway!!!

Reviewed 26 February 2014

My husband and I bought this vacation and looked forward to it for almost a year and we were definitely not disappointed! We loved every second of our stay and wished we could have stayed longer. Roger, Heidi and all the employees were wonderful and helped with anything that was asked for. The view was so amazing that everyone still asks if the pictures are real. Wish we could have brought our dogs and stayed forever!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mal Pais
#5 of 8 in Mal Pais
Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort
Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort
#11 of 27 in Santa Teresa

Been to Hotel Vista de Olas? Share your experiences!