We did a living social package. I'm very much a planner because we like to do A LOT of activities, and excursions on our vacations. I emailed the staff 1 month in advance with all of the excursions that they offered with the hotel and the dates and times we would like to do them. They seemed to have no problem booking them. The day before we left I emailed to confirm that everything was booked and still good to go and the owner Roger told me I might want to double check and confirm everything once we got to the hotel. We checked in around 5pm right in the middle of what we called hostel hippie hookup happy hour. The views were amazing but during our stay the staff was of little help and not very accommodating. Heidi, Roger and Swen are the only 3 people who know what is going on and can do anything that has to do with scheduling or billing (checking out) however they are not around very often.
- we booked and paid for an ATV ride to a waterfall for 2 people--DO NOT BE FOOLED this means 1 ATV per 2 people---only to find out that when we arrived at the waterfall we still had to pay for entry into the park.
-no one told us we wouldn't be able to do our 10am surf lesson until 10:15am on the day of our surf lesson.
- we tried to take the bus back to San Jose-the staff told us it would be in Sta.Theresa at 6am when we got there some other locals told us the bus wasn't running that day because it was good friday---how a hotel staff of a hotel that has been there for 10+ years doesn't know this i have no idea...when we got back to the hotel at 7:30am there response was "oh yeah, i guess your right."
-The night before we were suppose to leave we tried to check out because by this point we had realized that there was NO staff at the hotel from 10pm till 7am. Heidi came had to come to our room at 10:30pm (because her nor Roger were there from 6pm until 10:30pm) only to surprise us with a large bill and a 7%charge on top of that because we paid with a credit card--the 7% will never be mentioned to you and when it is it will be too late to find cash.
-The prices for excursions advertised on their website are not the current prices for excursions, hence our larger than expected bill.
GO for dinner and happy hour one night but DO NOT stay there if you are looking to do anything other than sit in your hotel room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vista de Olas is a refined hotel in Mal Pais perched on top of a peaceful hill. From this vantage point our guests are treated to sweeping views of Mal Pais and watch the most memorable sunsets. The hotel offers 6 sumptuous, secluded deluxe villas with ocean view, AC, open-sky bathroom, and private porch. Hotel amenities include fast WLAN, a luxurious infinity pool and jacuzzi, pool lounge, and the best BBQ restaurant in Mal Pais. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Hotel Vista de Olas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vista De Olas Mal Pais
- Hotel Vista De Olas Costa Rica/Mal Pais