“The perfect destination!”

Hotel Vista de Olas
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Mal Pais
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I found Vista de Olas on Groupon and, when I saw the excellent reviews on trip advisor, decided to book a 6-day trip. The property and rooms are unbelievably gorgeous! My friend and I stayed in the Mal Pais area the entire time and went on the canopy, ATV, snorkeling and surfing excursions with Vista de Olas. We had the time of our lives! I feel so lucky to have found this hidden gem in Costa Rica. As someone who likes to relax but also get plenty of adventure time in on a vacation, I found Mal Pais to be ideal. I think it would be the perfect romantic getaway as well as an awesome place for friends to travel together. The Tico people are so welcoming that we really felt at home there even after one week. There is a laid back, small town vibe- not extremely touristy but enough so that you have a good selection of restaurants and excursions. Vista de Olas has a stunning view and it is well known in the area as the spot to be for sunsets- with its infinity pool looking over the Pacific. Roger and the Vista team know the area extremely well and were more than happy to give us advice on how to make the most of our trip. Do yourself a huge favor and go visit- you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: All the Villas are excellent. We stayed in Villa 5 and loved it. There was an outdoor shower and A...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 June 2014

To say this was a dream honeymoon is an understatement. My husband and I were beyond amazed at the hospitality of the Zaugg family. They not only welcome you to their home but go above and beyond to make each experience truly unique for each and every person. They are so easy to engage with and actually spend time getting to know you.

We (like most others) got the LivingSocial and it did not disappoint even a little! Along with all of the amazing excursions we had included, we rented an ATV since it's quite a trek up the hill and most of the roads are a bit rocky. Roger will hand draw you the most beautiful map you've ever seen. Kidding, of course but it does highlight everything you need to know and is right on the money. He recommended Al Chile Viola which is an authentic Italian restaurant (yes, in Costa Rica) in Santa Theresa that will definitely not disappoint.

Speaking of food, breakfast is free at the resort every morning and the staff is so courteous and personable. We LOVED them and looked forward to talking to them during our pool time. At night they offer a nice choice of BBQ foods. We opted for that one night and on another day we did a fishing excursion and my husband caught a 35lb wahoo. The fishing guides fileted it and we brought it back and had a nice family style meal that their staff cooked up for us using our fresh catch of the day!

We are already talking about a return. Cannot wait! From the waterfall tour, canopy tour, "the Secret Beach"...this is unlike any other place you will find. Thanks again, Zaugg family for superseding our honeymoon expectations :)

Room Tip: We stayed in villa #3. Very private and EXCELLENT view of the ocean and surround town.
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My brother and I stayed at Vista de Olas this past May. We found it, like many via Living Social. I’m always a little skeptical when I get a deal like this but in this case I was very impressed with the whole operation. There were nice private Villas, great views especially from the infinity pool, great daily breakfast and very pleasant staff. Roger, the owner was a great guy, wonderful host and wealth of information about the area. He personally took us and a few others on a full day guided 4X4 tour one day during our stay. He pointed out a few surf spots that my brother and I returned to the following day and scored. He genuinely seemed to enjoy touring us around. There are only 5 or 6 villas so it is a nice size for a relaxing stay at the top of the hill. The town is nice and has lots of decent places to eat. I would definitely go back, especially if I could score that deal again!

Room Tip: We only saw our villa but it was sweet
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2014

To say we had a blast at Vista de Olas would be an understatement. Roger and his family went out of their way to make our stay fit our wants and needs. I was hesitant when we booked our stay to book all of our excursions through our hotel, but their advice was spot-on.

Our room (Cabana #1) had a beautiful view of the ocean and easy access to the pool, and was clean and comfortable. We especially enjoyed the outdoor bathroom.

We highly recommend taking surf lessons from either Mikey or Swen. They are the best! And Roger connected us with Carlos for zip-lining and we got an experience that I am certain we wouldn't have gotten anywhere else. Our only regret was not doing it again!

Because we like the autonomy of having our own transportation, we passed on the guided ATV tour, but Roger's map (written on a plain piece of receipt paper) led us on our favorite adventure of the entire trip to Montezuma. We love getting lost and exploring, but for those that like more structure and are nervous about adventuring out alone, I would recommend the guided ATV tour given by either Roger or one of his boys, Swen and Mikey. I highly recommend renting an ATV from Visa de Olas for the entirety of your trip, and taking your time to explore Mal Pais and the surrounding area of Santa Teresa and Montezuma.

The view from Vista de Olas pool is not like one that you have ever seen. And after a long day of hiking and surfing, the sunset there was the perfect relaxing oasis to come home to and rest your weary feet and body.

Overall, I would recommend Vista de Olas for not just the room and hotel accommodations (which were excellent) , but also for the value that Roger and his family added to the entire vacation. We can't wait to come back!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Roger and his family are great, they made us feel completely at home. Not at all like the normal hotels/resorts where they have ridiculous rules, they are very relaxed and laid back and can accommodate anything you need. They use the line "no worries" a lot and they mean it. Just getting to the hotel was a fun adventure, taking the tiny jumper plane from San Jose to Tambor, then the drive to the hotel they arranged, great way to see the area and a neat experience. Highly recommend taking the small flight there instead of trying to drive yourself, roads aren't very well distinguished with signs and I imagine pretty easy to get lost.
Every morning we had a breakfast made for us, there were a couple days where we were the only guests, since it was our honeymoon we absolutely loved the privacy and one-on-one attention. The staff was great and very friendly, even when I'm sure we bore them to death going on and on about our fun adventures from the day and forcing them to look at our photos! Their sons are adorable, semi-pro surfers, should also be models and just super sweet and down to earth. The Montezuma waterfall tour that they offer is fantastic, a full day of 4-wheeling to the other side of the peninsula with their son Mikey showing the way, hiking to the waterfall and jumping in the falls, just amazing and such a neat day trip.
There really is nothing to complain about at all, the hotel is known for having the best view of the sunset, so the pool is open to the public from 3pm-9pm (I think those are the hours), and you can invite people to come enjoy the sunset from your amazing view that you meet while on adventures so they can see what a great place you're at! We did, and they loved it! It was like our fun secret spot that we just had to tell some people about... no longer a secret I guess! Somehow each day we'd go for breakfast and our room would magically get re-done, since only 5 villas there, the experience is very personal and you'll get to know each employee. So I'm sure they just saw us going to eat and went off to clean our room.
Roger and his wife Heidi were great with recommendations. Anything we wanted to do they knew who to go thru and how to make it happen. He gave us a hand drawn map of all the fantastic places to eat at and we used that map like it was a treasure map, it basically led to all the best places and was super handy. Take Roger's advice and check out the "Secret Beach" on the other side of the Fisherman's Village at the end of the main street that the hotel is located off of. It's beautiful!
There were monkeys and creatures all over the place, if you're afraid of bugs then this isn't the place for you. They're around, nothing you can do about it other than keep coated in bug spray. Don't overpack, I'm a hair and dress fantastic, love to get fancy and the only thing I wore were bathing suits under shorts each day and didn't once use a curling iron. The outside bathrooms were pretty neat, although I got into a habit of opening the door and quickly looking before stepping outside to make sure no creatures were joining me! Only had a big green frog surprise me once and I loved him, after I realized what it was! We also had breakfast with a beautiful turtle that joined us one morning, he was crawling around on the property and made our day.
Also, I highly recommend just renting an ATV the day after you arrive (since you arrive in the evening usually, I would just start the next day) and using those to get around. You can walk places, but it's quite a walk and why waste the time. The longer you rent them, the less they cost, having an atv was half the fun and allowed way more exploring!
Seriously, just go for it. Things are different in Costa Rica, very relaxed, places will decide not to open one day because they feel like it, roads aren't all paved and small streams will be going over them. But it's amazing and part of the adventure. This hotel is the nicest I saw, your experiences will be so memorable as ours was, we couldn't have hoped for a better honeymoon! We can't wait to go back and not even bother trying another place, we will happily go to Hotel Vista de Olas again and again! Just book it, quit researching! ;)

Room Tip: There's a small fee of $2.25 getting off the plane in Tambor and getting on it when leaving Tamb...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2014

While researching trip ideas for my wedding anniversary, I found this hotel through a fantastic LivingSocial deal. I'm pretty sure that thing paid for itself by day 2 of the 4 day stay we had reserved. Upon checking in, you're greated by the most beautiful panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean. Not to mention the gorgeous infinity pool. (My first experience with an infinity pool by the way...I'm pretty sure all other infinity pools will never be as good.) The private bungalows were perfect. Comfortable, spacious, and everything you could want for a tropical stay away from home. Also, I loved the provided shampoo and conditioner. I've made it my mission to find it in bulk to purchase it! My only warning would be for those who wish to drive their own rental car. The roads are unpaved and the hotel is at the top of a very steep, unpaved drive, which makes for a slow, bumpy ride. However, if you rent an ATV this problem virtually disappears. All-in-all, this was a wonderful stay, made even better by the friendly, personable staff. Costa Rica was an amazing country to visit, made even better by this beautiful, relaxing hotel. I would recommend this hotel to everyone I know who visits Costa Rica.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

My wife found this place on Living Social. After months of trying to find a place for our honeymoon we settled on Mal Pais at Vista De Olas! This place is absolutely beautiful!! From the panoramic ocean and jungle views to the awesome secluded bungalows. I loved having my own little area to escape to that was not attached to another unit. The sunsets are unreal, I have no words to describe truly how amazing they really are. Roger and all of his staff make you feel very welcome and right at home. His son Mikey took us on a tour to Montezuma stopping a few times on the way to give us information about the surrounding area. Renting an ATV for the duration of our stay made getting around town very easy, and cheap. We will definitely be returning here in the future. Roger and Heidi have a very memorable and remarkable place.

Room Tip: Take the short flight from San Jose to Tambor, it is well worth the time and money
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
#5 of 8 in Mal Pais
Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort
Latitude 10 Beachfront Resort
#10 of 27 in Santa Teresa

Been to Hotel Vista de Olas? Share your experiences!