“what can you say? - WOW!”

Hotel Vista de Olas
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Mal Pais
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“what can you say? - WOW!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Incredible stay at a perfectly run hotel. Great staff, great food, great drinks, and that view is second to none! A must stay for those seeking opportunities to discover the area but able to come back to a great hotel after a long day of excursions. Rooms were very well kept and gorgeous. Happy hour watching the sunset from the infinity pool is worth the trip alone. Roger and his family make your stay feel like you are part of their family. A nice relaxing atmosphere in an absolutely perfect setting. PURA VIDA!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My boyfriend and I were so glad to have found a deal for this hotel on LivingSocial! We stayed for 7 nights and afterwards wished we could have stayed for another few days. The Zaugg family and the staff were so hospitable and ready to do anything to make our stay more enjoyable. We stayed in Villa #2, which has both an indoor and outdoor shower which did have hot water, huge mirrors, and a working fan above the bed. The rooms were kept clean by housekeeping. The only thing I did not like about the room was the bed, which we both found to be a little harder then we like. While there, we went on an ATV tour with Roger's son Mikey who taught us about the areas we were touring (Mal Pais & Montezuma) and took us to a waterfall! We also went zip lining, which was so much fun b/c the guys working there are hysterical and make it so much fun! My bf also went surfing with Mikey (a semi-pro surfer), who he said was a great teacher as he had never tried surfing before yet was able to catch a few waves successfully with his help. We rented an ATV for 4 of the days we were there as it was the fastest and most enjoyable way to travel ($65/day). The ticos in Mal Pais are so kind and many of them speak English. One aspect of our trip that made it especially enjoyable was meeting other young couples staying at the same hotel and getting to know them better during our stay. Since there are only 5 villas, this was easy to do as there are never too many guests staying at one time. We would even go out to eat often and hit the town with the other 3 couples we met.The puppies of the Zaugg's 2 dogs were also super cute and fun to play with! Overall, we highly recommend Hotel Vista de Olas and if we ever go back, that's where we'd like to stay =)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maryam2014
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

...that this rock we are riding through the universe and call Earth is so beautiful and diverse that it would be a crime to visit the same place twice. For Vista de Olas I would commit that crime.

It's not only the breathtaking view: Roger, Heidi and their staff are most probably the friendliest and most helpful people you will meet in Costa Rica. When we changed the hotel once (just to come back two days later ;), Roger even dropped us off there. He runs a great restaurant but will enthusiastically recommend other awesome food places around town to you. What more can I say about the hospitality of these people? We really felt that we have become friends with all of them.
I highly recommend to book one of the packages. They are great value for money. Especially the ATV tour is a must I would say.
We originally wanted to stay in Mal Pais for 3 nights and ended up staying a whole week - enough said. I hope we can come back one day...

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stefan S
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Vista de Olas is well set up: The rooms are big with huge king-sized beds and air conditioning, a mini fridge, a rack to hang clothes, a private attached outdoor shower/sink area (warning, shower does not get hot, but since its hot out usually its not an issue), patio area. All circling a great main dining area with swim-up bar and infinity pool with attached (same temp water) jacuzzi. Tables made to accommodate any size group, a couch area, and plenty of shaded areas. There are nearby flowering bushes that always have tons of butterflies on them too. Also, as far as food and drinks in the hotel, they were superb. I recommend the steak.

The sunsets are amazing: You know you've hit the right place when the locals will show up for it! (pool is open to the public after 4pm when they purchase $16 worth of booze) We had the place mostly to ourselves up until then, but it was a fun and entertaining environment, and it felt good to be the insiders. It was almost like the party came to you.

The Vista de Olas family are sweet and inviting. Makes you feel right at home. Roger helped us plan out our vacation with his knowledge of the area. We walked to a river where freshwater shrimp nibbled on our feet, hands, etc because of him, and it's a memory I won't soon forget. The rest of the team was also great, fun to talk to, and they were always right on top of what they needed to be doing.

Activities - they were all so much fun!: Ziplining Canopy Tour - I've been on several and never have I done the stunts performed on this one... (i'll keep it a surprise!). Surfing - I have tried unsuccessfully before, but with Mikeys instruction, I felt like I was improving tremendously. A great experience. ATV tour - absolutely beautiful landscape - like driving through a movie, you get to learn about different animals, plants, and we jumped in the montezuma waterfalls, before eating at a nice local restaurant. Snorkeling was fun too, although visibility was suffering that day, we still got to see large school of fish including Barracuda!

The Mal pais area and people were easy to get along with, and we made plenty of fast friends in town. It had a nice small town feel - not commercialized, but touristy enough where you could certainly get by fine. We followed Rogers recommendations on food and always had good meals. The taxi into town was 3000 colones ($6) or a 15-20 minute walk (which I frankly never did). There was beach access closer, more like 10 minutes.

I would highly recommend Vista de Olas for both a couple of friends or a romantic getaway. Great mix of fun/adventure and relaxation. Seriously, you will not regret it.

Oh, and bring bug spray or buy it at the grocery store. You may need it.

Room Tip: Vistas 4 and 5 share a patio area, so if you're planning on booking 2 rooms, these are the ones...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Athenax4
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I found Vista de Olas on Groupon and, when I saw the excellent reviews on trip advisor, decided to book a 6-day trip. The property and rooms are unbelievably gorgeous! My friend and I stayed in the Mal Pais area the entire time and went on the canopy, ATV, snorkeling and surfing excursions with Vista de Olas. We had the time of our lives! I feel so lucky to have found this hidden gem in Costa Rica. As someone who likes to relax but also get plenty of adventure time in on a vacation, I found Mal Pais to be ideal. I think it would be the perfect romantic getaway as well as an awesome place for friends to travel together. The Tico people are so welcoming that we really felt at home there even after one week. There is a laid back, small town vibe- not extremely touristy but enough so that you have a good selection of restaurants and excursions. Vista de Olas has a stunning view and it is well known in the area as the spot to be for sunsets- with its infinity pool looking over the Pacific. Roger and the Vista team know the area extremely well and were more than happy to give us advice on how to make the most of our trip. Do yourself a huge favor and go visit- you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: All the Villas are excellent. We stayed in Villa 5 and loved it. There was an outdoor shower and A...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2014

To say this was a dream honeymoon is an understatement. My husband and I were beyond amazed at the hospitality of the Zaugg family. They not only welcome you to their home but go above and beyond to make each experience truly unique for each and every person. They are so easy to engage with and actually spend time getting to know you.

We (like most others) got the LivingSocial and it did not disappoint even a little! Along with all of the amazing excursions we had included, we rented an ATV since it's quite a trek up the hill and most of the roads are a bit rocky. Roger will hand draw you the most beautiful map you've ever seen. Kidding, of course but it does highlight everything you need to know and is right on the money. He recommended Al Chile Viola which is an authentic Italian restaurant (yes, in Costa Rica) in Santa Theresa that will definitely not disappoint.

Speaking of food, breakfast is free at the resort every morning and the staff is so courteous and personable. We LOVED them and looked forward to talking to them during our pool time. At night they offer a nice choice of BBQ foods. We opted for that one night and on another day we did a fishing excursion and my husband caught a 35lb wahoo. The fishing guides fileted it and we brought it back and had a nice family style meal that their staff cooked up for us using our fresh catch of the day!

We are already talking about a return. Cannot wait! From the waterfall tour, canopy tour, "the Secret Beach"...this is unlike any other place you will find. Thanks again, Zaugg family for superseding our honeymoon expectations :)

Room Tip: We stayed in villa #3. Very private and EXCELLENT view of the ocean and surround town.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Oceanside, California
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My brother and I stayed at Vista de Olas this past May. We found it, like many via Living Social. I’m always a little skeptical when I get a deal like this but in this case I was very impressed with the whole operation. There were nice private Villas, great views especially from the infinity pool, great daily breakfast and very pleasant staff. Roger, the owner was a great guy, wonderful host and wealth of information about the area. He personally took us and a few others on a full day guided 4X4 tour one day during our stay. He pointed out a few surf spots that my brother and I returned to the following day and scored. He genuinely seemed to enjoy touring us around. There are only 5 or 6 villas so it is a nice size for a relaxing stay at the top of the hill. The town is nice and has lots of decent places to eat. I would definitely go back, especially if I could score that deal again!

Room Tip: We only saw our villa but it was sweet
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
#6 of 8 in Mal Pais
Indigo Yoga Surf Resort
Indigo Yoga Surf Resort
#7 of 8 in Mal Pais

Been to Hotel Vista de Olas? Share your experiences!