“Meh”

Backpackers Manuel Antonio
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“Meh”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Of the four hostels I visited in Costa Rica, Backpackers Manuel Antonio was my least favorite. Not great, but not terrible. Just sort of meh. It was clean enough and the staff was nice enough but it definitely could have been better.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

My partner and I arrived to the hostel and checked into a dorm room with no other guests. So we placed our wallets, passports, ids, money, and some clothes in the safe. We locked them up, locked our room and headed to the park for a few hours. We came back and the locker had been dismantled and our things gone! So I ran to the front desk to tell them and I was just look at and told to wait. None of the staff was too interested in what happened. Eventually the owner and some of the staff came to our room. I told them that with a locked door, no broken windows, and no one else in the room it was an inside job. They told me they were going to call the cops on me! Then they started talking about me in Spanish (which I fully understood) and then the told me that there was another guy in the room. Lloyd from Canada. However, they didn't have his passport copied like they do for everyone else's. And surprisingly the security footage didn't work. I have never been treated so poorly in my entire life or so violated. Literally left in a country without money, passports, and clothes.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank KendalMarie

Travellers are raving about these Manuel Antonio National Park hotels

Toronto
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I liked the vibe of this place as soon as I got there. My fiancee and I shared a private room. We paid $35 per night, total. The room itself was nothing fancy, but even with just a fan and no AC I slept just great! The shared bathroom I wasn't a fan of, but you deal. If staying in the dorm area, the bathroom situation is 100% better, with separate showers, toilets, and a really nice outdoor sink area. Breakfast is tasty banana pancakes and coffee. The back area is great - nice big deck with an awesome view, and the BEST part is there was a sloth living in a tree within a few feet of the deck! We got tons of great close-ups. There's a good restaurant which is part of the hostel. Also a good sushi place across the street. Pizza place and coffee place also right there, but we didn't go there. Super easy to catch the bus going in either direction (to Quepos, or to Manuel Antonio.) Also a grocery store within easy walking distance, and lots of other restaurants, depending on how far you wanted to walk/bus. There's a kitchen you can use to cook your meals. Staff were just ok. Really, it's a great place overall.

Room Tip: If you have a group of friends, dorms for sure.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SamanaFan
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 14 August 2012

The location is terrible, there are buses but still it's like 15 min away from Manuel Antonio. I got the private room which was not so bad but the bathroom was shared and not so clean, in fact terrible, the shared bathroom with the other private rooms is really not a good idea. The staff was ok but I didn't like the fact that they were trying to be your friend at night too...I just don't think it was very professional, the pictures are definitely better that what it actually is. The dorms are way too big and kinda chaotic.

Room Tip: Watch out for sloths in the trees, that was cool.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a little over a month while I attended cosi(costa rica Spanish institute) and had an amazing time. The school is located next door and made it a breeze to attend early morning classes. The rooms were nice enough for the price and I always felt safe. The staff is awesome and very personal, they assisted me with my Spanish greatly. Over all an awesome hostel!

• Stayed September 2011
Park City, Utah
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We had bed bug bites for the 2 nights we stayed in the room closest to the check in. Nice place besides that.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Justin J
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Backpackers has lovely grounds at the top of the hill in Manuel Antonio and is behind and under Comida Tipica where you can enjoy well-priced Costa Rican food.

The staff is friendly and responsive.

They have a very big, open shared kitchen and common areas with couches and hammocks, WiFi as well as a couple computers with internet to share, a swimming pool, and a beautiful view overlooking the jungle canopy and wildlife.

They have shared dorms and some private rooms all at hostel prices. Don't think you have to stay down in Quepos if you are on a budget -- you can still enjoy the amenities of Manuel Antonio. This is about midway between Quepos and the beach/national park and has bus stops going in both directions within a half block. Super Joseth, the local grocery and liquor store, is one block toward the beach. Very convenient location.

If you are arriving on the bus from San Jose, do not get off in Quepos. Tell the driver to stop across from the soccer field (por favor parada al frente del campo de fútbol) and you will be there. To take the bus back to San Jose, buy your ticket in advance at the Quepos bus station then be ready holding your ticket out when the bus approaches and the driver will stop and pick you up.

It's a popular place and you can make lots of new friends from around the world.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo