“Ok, better places to stay in Manuel Antonio.”

and 1 more site!
Backpackers Manuel Antonio
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Ok, better places to stay in Manuel Antonio.”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We had a clean room with a shared bathroom and the hostel provides pancakes in the morning but to be honest, there are a lot of nicer places to stay in Manuel Antonio for the same or a little bit extra. We had a room right next to reception so it was pretty noisy and felt like everyone could see into our room. Quite un-friendly reception staff aswell, which was unusual for Costa Rica as everyone seemed so happy. Its right next to the bus stop to get to the beach which is good though and also had a swimming pool so if you're on a budget then its ok.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Berlin
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Problems and annoyances are so numerous at this place I will just mention a few points.

1) Hostelbookers reservation somehow got lost, we had to take a more expensive room with aircon.
2) Don't take aircon. It's loud as an airplane starting.
3) The rooms are only superficially clean, bugs and ants galore!
4) The public shower literally fell apart when I barely touched it.
5) Rooms look like prison cells. Many have no window.
6) Far away from the beach. Far away from the naional park.
7) "Breakfast" means pancakes and coffee. Teabags are also provided. No water-heater, though. No maple syrup. What did you expect? Served from 7 to 9.
8) 7:20, no breakfast. We ask how it works. Staff is annoyed. "Pura Vida", they won't be hurried. 10 minutes later, pancakes enough for 3 people. There are five guests, we ask for more. "We will be very, very fast." Oh, irony, wonderful! 8 o'clock, no new pancakes have surfaced.
9) Don't ask for them at 8:50, because then it will be too late.

This place is a dump. Overpriced, unfriendly, inconvenientyl located. Many better options in town.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ThorstenM341

Travellers are raving about these Manuel Antonio hotels

San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 4 March 2013

beware of theft. stayed here with some friends last week, march 2013. had a room to just ourselves so we left out or wallets and most of our stuff in unlocked lockers. i walked in and caught the maid in my wallet, when i reported it to the staff, they did not seem to care at all. and also took the side of the maid who claimed she was just cleaning the room... during our stay the room was never swept and the garbage was never taken out.. 20$ was stolen from me, and 10$ stolen from my friend. i asked to speak to the manager and for three days i got excuses... his car broke down, or he would be back in an hour, then in two and evenutally not at all, etc... never ended up getting to talk to anyone and still had to overpay for a frustrating stay. wouldnt recommend it to anyone... on top of that, the free pancake breakfast is meh, its a short walk to the pool and a long walk to the closest beach or a short bus to the main beach and center of town. not worth anyones time or money.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank kelsphil
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Of the four hostels I visited in Costa Rica, Backpackers Manuel Antonio was my least favorite. Not great, but not terrible. Just sort of meh. It was clean enough and the staff was nice enough but it definitely could have been better.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

My partner and I arrived to the hostel and checked into a dorm room with no other guests. So we placed our wallets, passports, ids, money, and some clothes in the safe. We locked them up, locked our room and headed to the park for a few hours. We came back and the locker had been dismantled and our things gone! So I ran to the front desk to tell them and I was just look at and told to wait. None of the staff was too interested in what happened. Eventually the owner and some of the staff came to our room. I told them that with a locked door, no broken windows, and no one else in the room it was an inside job. They told me they were going to call the cops on me! Then they started talking about me in Spanish (which I fully understood) and then the told me that there was another guy in the room. Lloyd from Canada. However, they didn't have his passport copied like they do for everyone else's. And surprisingly the security footage didn't work. I have never been treated so poorly in my entire life or so violated. Literally left in a country without money, passports, and clothes.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank KendalMarie
Toronto
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I liked the vibe of this place as soon as I got there. My fiancee and I shared a private room. We paid $35 per night, total. The room itself was nothing fancy, but even with just a fan and no AC I slept just great! The shared bathroom I wasn't a fan of, but you deal. If staying in the dorm area, the bathroom situation is 100% better, with separate showers, toilets, and a really nice outdoor sink area. Breakfast is tasty banana pancakes and coffee. The back area is great - nice big deck with an awesome view, and the BEST part is there was a sloth living in a tree within a few feet of the deck! We got tons of great close-ups. There's a good restaurant which is part of the hostel. Also a good sushi place across the street. Pizza place and coffee place also right there, but we didn't go there. Super easy to catch the bus going in either direction (to Quepos, or to Manuel Antonio.) Also a grocery store within easy walking distance, and lots of other restaurants, depending on how far you wanted to walk/bus. There's a kitchen you can use to cook your meals. Staff were just ok. Really, it's a great place overall.

Room Tip: If you have a group of friends, dorms for sure.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SamanaFan
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 14 August 2012

The location is terrible, there are buses but still it's like 15 min away from Manuel Antonio. I got the private room which was not so bad but the bathroom was shared and not so clean, in fact terrible, the shared bathroom with the other private rooms is really not a good idea. The staff was ok but I didn't like the fact that they were trying to be your friend at night too...I just don't think it was very professional, the pictures are definitely better that what it actually is. The dorms are way too big and kinda chaotic.

Room Tip: Watch out for sloths in the trees, that was cool.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends