“The hotel was nice despite the fact the "falls" on the property were bone dry.”

Falls Resort at Manuel Antonio
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Let me start off by saying I was extremely concerned when we first pulled up to the hotel. From the street it leaves a lot to be desired. But the inside was wonderful. The grounds are beautiful. Our room was spacious and clean, although there were some ants in the bathroom. But bugs are to be expected in CR. Beds were a bit firm for my taste but I think this is common in CR, at least based on our first 2 hotels.

Breakfast was pretty good, although our breakfast the second day was cold by the time it arrived at our table. I have read some complaints about having to pay extra for some items, but there are plenty of other options without having to pay extra. Our first morning there, a monkey "joined" us for breakfast. It was so awesome to look up and see a wild monkey scampering up the stairs next to the dining area.

The location is great. Plenty of places nearby for food. In all, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011

Reviewed 17 April 2011

We had a lovely stay at The Falls where we spent 3 nights in late March. The room was AMAZING!!! We stayed in standard room #6 – arguably the best room at the hotel. It was very private as it is situated in a bungalow all by itself and not sharing a wall with another room. The room itself had high ceiling (at least 4-5 meters), huge comfy bed, really nice lining, amazing pillows (I would have taking one of them home with me if I could) and a duvet!! As a Scandinavian I appreciate the duvet more than anything :) The bathroom was huge, beautiful and had a minimalistic luxury feel to it and the shower was an experience in itself.

The A/C (maybe a dehumidifier? – I wouldn’t know the difference :)) and the ceiling fan worked perfectly and was surprisingly quiet. The very private patio was a lovely place to hang out and it boasted a wonderful view of the garden down to the pool area. The hammock wasn’t all that comfortable, as it felt very narrow (and yes, I’m at a normal height and weigh t:)).

I’ve read that other people complain about the lack of phone and hairdryer in the rooms. To us it made no difference at all. I did wish for a hairdryer, as it seems like my hair took forever to dry - properly due to the humidity - but I just went down to the reception and were handed one with a smile. No problem :)

The breakfast – and I very surprised that some people complain about it – was great. The juice was too sweet for my personal taste, but everything else was very fresh and tasty. I really liked that the eggs, gallo pinto or that ever you chose, are freshly made and not just sitting there for hours on end. We had lunch there twice and it was very tasty as well and cocktails at the bar is an absolute must :)

The staff was very accommodating and was very helpful in arranging tours, booking restaurants and giving overall helpful advice.

The grounds are beautiful kept and the pool was very lovely and clean. The ground seems to be cultivated in a very nature-respectful way and we had the good fortune to be greeted but a White Faced monkey upon arrival.

The hotel is within comfortable walking distance to restaurants, the Manuel Antonio National Park and the beach. It’s a steep walk, but the view while you’re walking is breathtaking. We took the bus back and forth to the beach, and it was easy, cheap and surprisingly chill.

If I ever come back to Manuel Antonio, I will be sure to book room #6 at the Falls again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank cmwh-dk
Reviewed 16 April 2011

This is a very special place; we stayed here for four nights on our honeymoon and had a wonderful time. We had a deluxe room and were greeted with a bottle of wine and a lovely message congratulating us on our wedding. The room was gorgeous, we had a massive bed that had a mosquito net, a sofa, flat screen TV, walk in wardrobe, amazing shower and a lovely veranda, the room was cleaned daily. All of the staff are very friendly and helpful. They do great cocktails at the bar, the barman (sorry can’t remember his name) was so friendly and made the most amazing drinks. The food was lovely we had breakfast every morning and dinner one night. We got talking to Scott, the owner of the hotel and he treated us to our second bottle of wine as it was our honeymoon (thanks again Scott).

The Falls is in a great location, there are plenty of restaurants around that are in walking distance, the beach is about a 10 minute walk away, you will more than likely have to get a taxi back (about $4) as there is a steep hill, it is a lovely walk to the beach though. We saw plenty of monkeys on our way down.

We went to the national park one day that is beside the beach, it is well worth a trip down. The Falls organized our trip and guide. Wifi is available which makes it really easy to plan your days.

I would recommend this hotel without any hesitation.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Spent 3 nights at The Falls following a 10 day tour. From the inviting infinity pool looking out over lush gardens to the relaxing porch with hammock, it was paradise. Gorgeous cabanas (we stayed in standard #2), very private with everything you would ever need during your stay - bathrobes, toiletries, stocked mini fridge (water, wine, beer, snacks for reasonable price), A/C, ceiling fan, alarm clock, candles, lantern, hammock. Excellent location within walking distance (2 km downhill) of Manuel Antonio Park and excellent restaurants . The staff (Adrianna, Jorge et al) were friendly and very helpful in assisting us with making the most of our stay.

Room Tip: Cabanas #2-9? to the right most private
  • Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 10 April 2011

The rooms are in small buildings scattered in a garden.

The main reason to go are the rooms. Well appointed, confortable, modern. Awsome shower . My favorite place was the veranda. Large, confortable either in the hammock or the chairs

The garden is green and lush. But nothing exceptionnal for Costa Rica.

The staff is nice, accomodating and take good care of you.

As most hotels in CR, there is free WiFi available and the quality of the signal was great.

The only minor negative, it that the breakfast menu although excellent is repetitive. Not much change from dayto day

Would return anytime.

Note: If you drive there with a GPS, note that some Costa Rica GPS maps do not know this hotel by its new name ' The Falls' but by it's previous name 'La plantacion'. Anyway, it is almost facing the restaurant with the airplane, can't miss it !

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 April 2011

We just left our 4 nights at the Falls. My husband and I were with our 14 year old daughter
so we had the double room 22 which had 2 double beds and one single bed. Nice room but no hair dryer. The people who work here are so nice. The pool area is nice and best thing was that we saw monkeys almost every day. Each day the monkeys would swing through the trees around the pool. We saw white faced monkeys and squirrel monkeys! That was my favorite thing. The food was very good. Breakfast every day was great and we had lunch once which was good too! The margaritas were very good. From the hotel we could walk to the beach or take a bus to Manuel Antonio park. We took a guided walk through the park o e day where we saw lots of animals such as monkeys, iguana, birds, sloth lizards. Very cool. It was very hot and humid. We hung out at the beach inside the park one day. We tried numerous restaurants in the area. For dinner went to el avion. (was ok not great but good sunset view)' la Luna which was a little pricey but worth it,, cantina (close to hotel and good, for lunch we went to agua azul and sanchos both were good. One afternoon we did the mangrove boat tour which was good. You go on a boat rough the jungle and we saw monkeys again. The actually came on the roof of the boat! On our departure day the hotel let us have late check out which was great. We had private transportation to san Jose for our flight home. All in all the falls was great!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Perched on the hillside in Manuel Antonio, the Falls Resort is as beautiful as the website photos. When traveling, it can often be a gamble to rely on websites. As we know, photoshop can work wonders! My family and I were completely amazed at the beauty of this place. We stayed 10 days and wished it could have been longer. The staff treated us like personal friends. They anticipated any need or desire we could have had. The Falls is family friendly and my 2 year old daughter was absolutely spoiled! Already planning our next trip!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family