“BEWARE: Use this company if you want to contribute to employee abuse violations”
Review of Finca Valmy Tours

Finca Valmy Tours
Ranked #42 of 66 Tours in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The guides used on our tour, an older gentleman and 2 younger men are not paid for their work. One of them shared with me that they were asked to work for free with the hope that they can get tips. The man said they agree because even with tips, it helps them financially survive. He told me this while we were watching my kids wade under the small waterfall. After he told me this, my heart sank. I could not enjoy the rest of the ride. I told him we paid $70 per person for the excursion, and asked if I misunderstood, that he was not paid anything out of the $70 per person we paid. He said again he is not paid. I told my fellow companion, and she too was distraught. After our 1 hour ride, they brought us to the home of the owner where they provide a "dinner". My friend point-blank asked him if it is true that the guides are not paid any salary. After a couple of seconds of dead silence and going pale, he confirmed that it is true that they are not paid. We ended up giving them a much larger than normal tip because we felt so bad for them. This was an unexpected cost to the tour so in fact, we paid much more than $70 per person. The tour was advertised as 4 hours but it was only about 1 hour including 30 minutes we spent at the water fall. About 30 minutes each way drive to the place as it is not that near the hotel area of Manuel Antonio. Another hour spent on having the included "dinner". I would have preferred they not offer a "dinner" and instead let us ride as that is what we paid for after all. The "dinner" was more of a snack or child-menu dinner. It consisted of 3 string beans about 2 inches long each, 3 wafer-thin strips of carrot, 3 pieces of squash 1 inch long each, about 1/2 cup rice, and 1/2 cup of some chicken mushroom mush. Our kids were not privy to our conversation with the guides, so they had a great time. I'm not saying the ride wasn't fun, because it was. It was just not worth the amount of money spent, and definitely not worth contributing the the abuse of their employees. Find a reputable company that pays their employees.

1  Thank Claire C

Reviewed 16 April 2014

My wife, daughter and I went on the horseback tour on April 14; none of us have ever been on a horse before. They could not have been more accommodating; they fitted us with horses and gave us explicit instructions. My daughter who is 9 was very fearful, the nephew of the manager (aged 11) guided her throughout the whole tour. He made sure that she was safe the entire way; the way he looked out for her well being was truly touching. Che was the guide, this guy really knew his stuff; animals, plants and trees, you name he knew it. This a real professional outfit, they pick you up at the hotel and then give you one of the most unique experiences of lifetime.

1  Thank JFK49
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We took our nine-year-old son and our seven-year-old daughter horseback riding for the first time in Costa Rica with Finca Valmy Tours, and they loved it. We specifically requested a pony for our daughter, and that made her feel much more comfortable given that it was her first time on a horse.

My husband and I have been on many horseback riding tours, and these were some of the best behaved horses we’ve ever had. Our guides were entertaining as well, and perhaps the most memorable part of the experience was the adorable young daughter of the owner, who stole our hearts the moment we arrived when she brought out her baby goats to meet us.

The scenery was beautiful (including the swarms of exquisite migrating butterflies we rode through), and the waterfall we swam in at the halfway point was very refreshing. The meal at the end was delicious as well. We would highly recommend this tour.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

My daughter and I had a great ride with the owner, gee was careful to match is up with just the right horses and we had a wonderful time. He was very knowledgeable about the rain forrest, we learned a lot and we got to canter on the way back if we wanted! Great food too!

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My family and friends just had the best vacation of our lives in Costa Rica. We were all there for mine and my new husband's wedding. Two days prior to the wedding, the girls did this fantastic tour with Che and Valentin. Our group had a wide arrange of experience levels and they paired us up with horses accordingly. My mother hadn't been on a horse since she was a child and was quite nervous upon arrival. They gave her the most gentle horse and by the end of the tour, she was smiling from ear to ear. Two of the riders in our group had more experience and was given the chance to let the horses canter on the way back. It was wonderful for everyone to go at the pace they were comfortable with and made for the most enjoyable time imagineable. Che is quite humorous and knowledgeable. His dogs also made wonderful additional guides. Valentin, his horses and family could not have been more hospitable. They welcome you into their home and share their land, knowledge and cuisine with you as if you have all been friends for years. His horses are all very sweet. They respond to Valentin's gentle voice commands without any dispute. The horses are never over worked and treated with the utmost respect and it shows. Thank you Valentin, staff and family for treating your guests like family and your animals with love. If you haven't been riding in a while remember to wear tennis shoes, long pants, sun screen and bug spray. You will be riding in the jungle in and around streams. Also recommended is a bathing suit. They will take you to a surprise where you will most likely want it.
Your 5 Steeler fan friends from Pittsburgh
P.S. The wedding turned out amazing!!

1  Thank Melissa M