“Experienced, knowledgeable, locally owned.”
Review of Aguila Tours

Aguila Tours
Ranked #43 of 63 Tours in Manuel Antonio
More attraction details
Owner description: Manuel Antonio National Park, Mangrove boat or kayak tours, country birdwatching tours. Here at Aguila Tours we enjoy to share our country nature wonders and teach others about conservation. Juan Luis Brenes
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“Experienced, knowledgeable, locally owned.”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Monkeys, iguanas, sloths, insects, snakes, birds, frogs-- we saw so much that we would never have spotted without our guides.

But even better, Aguila Tours is a small, locally owned business. So by choosing AT, you are supporting the community rather than lining the pockets of foreign investors or large, corporate interests. Entrepreneurs like Juan and Pablo are a absolutely essential to linking the massive tourism economy to the prosperity and well-being of actual Costa Ricans.

If that's not of interest to you, then focus instead on the experience, knowledge, and professionalism of AT, and let that be your guide.

We went on a walking tour of Manuel Antonio, and we enjoyed it so much that we booked an Isla Damas mangrove tour. Juan was our guide both times, and he was great. In addition to being very personable and informative, he took amazing photos with our camera through his spotting scope. He was so good at it that we wished we could hire him for photography lessons! On top of that, he was very open and honest in discussing Costa Rica's history, culture, and landscape.

We ended with a delicious, home-cooked lunch of mahi-mahi, which was the perfect finish to a top-notch experience.

Visited May 2013

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great guide, very informative”
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We took the tour of Manuel Antonio National Park and we learned so much about all of the wildlife and plants. We got to see monkeys, sloths, various insects and birds. Most of them I would have never seen if it had not been for our guide. Our guide was Edgar and he was great! I would recommend this tour if you want to see all the wildlife and learn about Manuel Antonio.

Visited April 2013
Brooklyn, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Mangrove Tour with Juan”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

My boyfriend and I went outside our hotel to book this tour because it had the best reviews -- and we're so glad we did! The experience surpassed our expectations.

I really can't recommend Juan highly enough. We were lucky to be the only ones on our tour, but I can imagine that even with a full boat, Juan would give everyone the same level of personal attention. He was interested in hearing about us, knowing what we wanted to see, and making sure our tour was the best it could be. We saw sloths*, monkeys, armadillos, snakes, and incredible birdlife. Juan cracked jokes and made friendly conversation the whole ride -- we really had the best time!

After the tour, Juan invited us into his beautiful home and cooked us the most delicious meal. He was so hospitable and charming; we feel really lucky to have met him!

Juan also gives tours of the National Park. We didn't have enough time to do one, but I would recommend it wholeheartedly anyway. Juan knows his stuff, loves his job, and will give you a fantastic experience, regardless of which excursion you choose.

Don't miss out on learning about Costa Rican wildlife with Juan!

*The sloths can't live in the mangroves because the trees are toxic, but when we told Juan we were hoping to see some, he kept his eyes peeled, and we pulled over on our way to the mangroves to spot some in the trees next to the road!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank lua520
Boston, Massachusetts
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Amazing mangrove boat tour and homemade dinner”
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I went on a Damas mangrove boat tour. Our guide was Pablo and it was just us and one family of four. Pablo was very friendly and welcoming, as well as very knowledgable about all of the different kinds of birds, snakes, monkeys, trees, bats, and anteaters that we saw. He and the boat driver (a quiet local) had a great eye for spotting rare animals in the mangrove. When stopping to look closer, Pablo made sure that everyone got to see the animal in question before moving on. We saw a bunch of monkeys and thankfully I had two bananas in my bag so we could feed them out of our hands (which you're by supposed to do but oh well). Pablo got the monkeys to come over to us...some of them stood on our heads and shoulders and they all ate right out of our hands!! Feeding a monkey as it sat on my back was the highlight of my Costa Rica trip.
After our 2 hour boat tour, Pablo drove us all back to his house where his wife served us a homemade dinner of fresh, local mahi mahi, beans, rice, seared plaintains and avocado salad. I hate seafood but I ended up eating everything on my plate because it was so good!
On another note, Juan, the company owner, is very prompt and quick to respond to emails about booking tours and will also give you good recommendations for other local tours/ tour guides for cheaper prices. For example, I asked him about night hikes in the area and he immediately responded with an offer for the same night hike done by everyone in the area (across from the Si Como No hotel), but for $40 per person instead of the $65 pp that the hotels and other tour companies charge.
This company is friendly, helpful, reliable, and definitely worth your time and money!

1 Thank Tina M
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Favorite guide on trip”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We did a kayaking tour through the mangroves with Juan and really enjoyed ourselves. Juan is very casual, which made me nervous at first considering we were about to kayak in an area where there may have been crocodiles... After a short time it became clear Juan really knows what he is doing. He was very informative, and treated us more like friends than tourists. He has a wealth of knowledge but doesn't lecture, he keeps it all very interesting. That casual nature ended up being my favorite thing about him and our tour! Our lunch after the tour was wonderful as well. Highly recommend Aguila Tours.

Visited December 2012