“PURA VIDA”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“PURA VIDA”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I went there with my parents and we had a lovely experience. We enjoyed the great location, next to the National Park and close to the public beach and restaurants. Very nice staff. I particularly love the slide that goes to the main swimming pool, which is big and pretty. I definitely recommend it

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent visit to our Resort!

We are excited that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel. Thank you for pointing out our incredible location, right next to Manuel Antonio National Park, and close 2 minutes walking distance to the public beach. It´s also wonderful to hear that your vacations were Pura Vida! and that our Hotel was part of it.

We are happy to know that you also enjoyed our waterslide located at the family pool, a great place for families, and of course our terrace pool at the 6th floor for adults.

Tnaks again for your excellent review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our property in the future.

Your friends at Hotel San Bada

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We loved our stay at Hotel San Bada! The only downside was less than optimal bed comfort, but don't let that deter you from staying at this fabulous place!

Pros:
- They had a VERY affordable walk-in rate during low season for the quality of the hotel. We showed up in Manuel Antonio and price-checked at all the local hotels. San Bada ended up being only $20 more expensive than some of its neighbors and it was much better value!
- Breakfast was the best spread we had of any place in Costa Rica. It kept us full all day.
- The staff were helpful, cheerful, personable, and were not at all pushy.
- The pools were great, so much fun!
- The hotel was bug free, but at the same time there were a lot of fun critters roaming the common areas. We saw frogs, iguanas, and monkeys all from the hotel!
- The private tunnel path to the beach was great.
- Happy hour on the roof watching the sunset over the rainforest canopy with a view of the ocean - also the best mojitos we had in CR
- Close to the park! We recommend going very early. We were able to get there before the tours and crowds since we were located so close.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better - your balcony will be high enough to see the ocean over the rainforest can...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicole A
Dear Guest!

Thank you for your recent stay at our Hotel and for your detailed review of what San Bada is all about!

We are glad that you decided to stay at our Hotel based on our services and of course our low season specials suchs as stay 3 nights and pay only 2 for superior, deluxe and suites, or stay 4 nights and pay only 3 for standard romos.

It's great to know that breakfast in our Hotel was the best you had of any place in Costa Rica, this is the most important meal of the day and at San Bada we try to be generous and present several options when serving.

There is no greater satisfaction, as a customer minded Hotel than receiving such great adjectives for the staff, There is no doubt that they will be very glad when I spread your kind words to them.

Our Hotel consists of 3 pools, one for children, for families with waterfalls, wetbar, and our adults pool located at the 6th floor of the Hotel, with ocean and sunset view, and bar service. We are happy that during your stay you enjoyed our pools.

Our priviledge location next to the National Park and close to the public beach has given us many compliments from all our guests, agencies and world travel publications. We feel priviledge that you stayed at our Hotel and found this aspect very convenient. Moreover, at being so close to the National Park lets all our guest a first contact with all the nature and its wildlife. Because of that we have screens in each of the balconies doors and seals or strips at the bottom of the doors when entering the room.

We are still delighted reading your review and that you found very possitive our shortcut to the beach, 2 minutes walking and you are at the beach. Thank you for pointing out our 6th floor happy hour, and of course we are happy that our mojitos made your day.

We are please with this guest review and we thank you again for sharing it with others at T.A., and we all look foward to your return.

Pennington, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I stayed at this hotel in February and again in May. It has everything you could ever want or need. The pool is beautiful and there are plenty of chairs to relax in. The food at the restaurant is delicious. The wraps are to die for. The staff is not only accommodating, but extremely friendly. You can buy your park tickets at the hotel and the entrance to the park is literally right outside the hotel entrance. We had drinks at the pool after a day of hiking/swimming at the park. Elias made the best mojito I have ever tasted using passion fruit. He made our stay at San Bada extra special with his possitive attitude and friendly vibe. I can't wait to return this summer.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the room on the second floor better than the first but only because I liked looking for bi...
RIVERVIEW, FL
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My mom and I spent a week at the San Bada (5/23-5/30/13). The hotel is only about 2 years old and is beautiful! It is located right next to the Manuel Antonio park so I was the first one in the park when I went (though I later learned that most of the animals tend to move around more in the mid-afternoon) and it was nice to have it quiet so I could enjoy the natural environment. The public beach was about a 1 mile walk (though I feel that the beaches at Manuel were much nicer but the entrance fee per day was $10 to get into the part itself). There were many small restaurants along the way and by the beach were souvenir shops and 2 small convenience stores. We stayed on the 3rd floor in a standard room that was equipped for my mother who uses a wheelchair and walker. The shower was a roll-in and they had a grab bar near the toilet and in the shower and provided us with a shower chair. The toilet also was high enough so mom was able to utilize it without difficulty. The window was huge and gave us a great view of the trees where we saw a troupe of squirrel monkeys and a toucan. It also had a balcony where you could sit outside and enjoy some fresh mangoes (there were trees everywhere laden with fruit) and the sites/sounds of the jungle (just wear bug spray--the mosquitos are nasty!). The front had an area where you could sit out and look over the pool and adjacent to our room was a huge, mostly glass enclosed/open air sitting area. I liked sitting here at night so I could listen to all the frogs. They also had 2 computers on this level for guest use and this was great because it gave me an opportunity to research area attractions, restaurants, etc. and I was also able to find more info on the various animals I encountered. The grounds were well-kept and the view from the 6th floor (with the adult only pool area) was beautiful and peaceful. We had arrived during the start of the "green" or slower season so there weren't a lot of people which was fine with us! The staff were truly amazing and very caring! Now remember those of you who are going to visit during the high season that you probably are not going to get service as if you were the only ones there. It will be a lot busier and the staff will have to divide their time between a lot more visitors so please be patient. The staff works extremely hard to please and went above and beyond with assisting my mother and helping us find things that would make her visit more pleasant. The Congo Restaurant had great food and a breakfast buffet in the morning. I know we encountered many but a few I would like to mention: Christian (operations manager) and Christian (front desk associate) who helped us arrange tours; Elias who worked the dinner hour in the restaurant and made us some awesome drinks from some fruit I bought and would greet us with a pleasant hug; Maykel during the breakfast hour would come by and chat with us and get mom her morning coffee; Diego who was up on the 6th floor bar area who again made us some delicious fresh fruit drinks and with whom we shared pleasant conversation; the ladies from housekeeping who would make sure we were well-provided with supplies; Shaggy (Mauricio) who took us on a side trip so my mom could view some animals. You cannot go wrong staying here and I feel you would thoroughly enjoy it!

Dear Guest!

Thank you and your mom for your recent stay at our Hotel we feel very honored and priviledged to met you both. We are humbled to have received your notable comments, for us there is no greater satisfaction, as a customer service professionals, than receiving kind words from a valued guest.

Wow! we all have big smiles on our faces after reading your detailed experience during your stay at our Resort.

We are satisfied that our accomodations met your mom special needs and that futhermore enjoyed the views at the 6th floor of the ocean and the forest. The Hotel was built in a flat surface, which is a plus in Manuel Antonio, this means we do not have steps or hills that may cause any inconveniences to the guests. The Hotel facilities are in a regular surface, we have an elevator, ramps to access many areas, and thus we are a handicap accesible Hotel.

Also it´s great to hear that every morning you enjoyed the National Park and that our location permitted to be the first one visiting the Park.

We already miss you and your mom, and you are both welcome to visit us again, all the staff from the Hotel will await for your return.

Your friends from Hotel San Bada
Albany, Georgia
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I cannot say enough about our wonderful stay at Hotel San Bada. The location is very convenient - right next to Manuel Antonio National Park entrance with its amazing trails, beaches, wildlife (white faced monkeys, sloths, iguanas, and so much more), and breathtaking views. The terrace on the top floor of the hotel was a great place to relax and have a few drinks, all while being surrounded by the beautiful sites and sounds of the rainforest and the ocean - what a combination! I will have to say the thing that sets San Bada apart is the staff and their customer service. Marianne, at the front desk, helped us with transportation, tickets to the park, and restaurant suggestions - Elias enthusiastically told us about the different birds, monkeys, and other wildlife in the area, and Diego was part of the extremely attentive wait staff. But, our most thrilling experience was the visit to the waterfalls. Shaggy started as our guide, but by the end of the day we had made a new friend. If you are planning a trip to Manuel Antonio; do not, DO NOT miss this trip. It was truly amazing!!!
We surely experienced Pura Vida! Muchas gracias, Hotel San Bada!

1 Thank mwright44
Dear M Wright

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at our Hotel!

We could not be more pleased to know we made your nights comfortable.

We are so flattered and thrilled to know that you had such a fantastic vacation accompanied by iguanas, sloths, monkeys, lots of nature, Manuel Antonio National Park right next to you and beautiful beach!

Thank you for mentioning our very friendly staff, which are always attentive to your needs, and trying to make memorable your stay.

Mulguri Tour is fascinating thanks for mentioning too. It is the perfect tour to be fully immersed in nature, surrounded by water and fresh air, relax and release the thoughts for a while.
We try every day to improve, to provide unparalleled customer service and a stay which never forget Manuel Antonio CR.

Thank you for taking the time out to let everyone know what a great vacation you had at our resort!

LA
Reviewed 22 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed at San Bada in early May with my girlfriend, the service of the Hotel staff was amazing they did an extra job keeping us busy with many tours suggestions and places to visit.

I definitely recommend this Hotel to anyone that wants to have a romantic scape into the national park nature and relax at the beach.

Thank you Elias, Michael and Marina!! wish to see you guys more often. from Mathew and Lynn

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank MAthewLa
Dear Matthew

Thank you for kind review, and for recommending our hotel!

We are so pleased that you received such fantastic service from our staff, and that you have enjoyed everything our hotel has to offer. We will sure to give your message to each of our staff!!

Hope you can come back, so you can enjoy our little piece of paradise!

New York
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I was supposed to write this when we returned from Costa Rica in February but have been really busy since. My husband and I stayed in Hotel San Bada for 1 week. Their hospitality is the best we have ever experienced.

Shagy picked us from the airport and on the way I told my husband that I was hungry, without telling us Shaggy stopped on the way and got us some nice costarican casados which I thought was very nice of him.

The rooms are lovely( we had the one facing the ocean)and at some point we had the whole place to ourselves which was amazing and some nights the whole place was full of guests.

Dinners at the restaurant are great and highly recommended (my favourite was the mahi mahi oyster sauce), local red wine is quite nice and we had it several times. Breakfast is lovely but some days I got bored of having the same thing every day for 7 days, so the waiter told to the kitchen to make different options for us, we were surprised and thank the waiter for this excellent touch. It's lovely though to have someone friendly that understands your needs, and that made our breakfast special.

I just want to say a HUGE thank you to San Bada family especially the restaurant staff who made us feel so welcome and I felt really sad leaving them (felt like leaving my friends) and their beautiful place.You made our holiday one of the best (in fact my husband's best holiday) and we've been to so many beautiful places in the world.

If you are a person who likes peace and quiet, that loves nature and scenery this place is for you. There is an absoloutely beautiful beach nearby which you can walk about 2 minutes to get there and leave your car safely at the Hotel parking. One of the highs of the Hotel is the location, and the Hotel is next to the edge of Manuel Antonio National Park, which is fabolous if you like to wake up listening to the jungle.

Don't forget to visit the park as it is one of the world's best natural parks to relax at the beach. You will LOVE it!

We will definitely be back to San Bada any time! Thank You so much for making our holiday so memorable :)

Room Tip: ask for shagy if you hire the transfers with the Hotel. A++++ recommended
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JenbronxD
Dear Jen

We can´t be more thankful about your opinion! And also for taking the time to write it, despite you were busy, we truly appreciate it.

It looks like you had the whole experience!! From the very start to the end of it. We will make sure Shaggy knows the opinion that you had of him and thank him for giving you such good care. We very much appreciate your comments and for bringing out every detail of our service and property, our beautiful rooms and views, our proximity to the national park, our surroundings full of nature and animals, delicious food at our Congo Restaurant, closeness to the beach. From the other hand our whole staff is great; all of them are always willing to help our customers in everything needed during their stay at Hotel San Bada.

It looks like we succeeded, and filled all of your expectations!
It is very motivating to have opinions like this!

Many thanks again for you beautiful review, hope you can come back so we can make your 2nd best holiday!