“Excellence night after night - Why go anywhere else?”

El Mirador Bar & Restaurant
Price range: US$10 - US$60
Cuisines: Costa Rican, International
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: El Mirador Restaurant is located near Arenas del Mar's reception area and pool, overlooking Espadilla Beach, Manuel Antonio National Park, and the Pacific Ocean. El Mirador—which means “the viewpoint” in Spanish—has an open air, covered interior dining area and outdoor seating. Along with breathtaking views and gorgeous sunsets, our restaurant serves breakfast and dinner using fresh, local ingredients. Start your day with our complimentary breakfast: fresh fruits, homemade granola, warm muffins and breads, eggs, pancakes and of course, Costa Rican coffee. Our dinner menu includes highlights such as locally caught fish and other delicacies at this authentic full-service Costa Rican restaurant.
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We had a week-long stay at the Arenas Del Mar resort and dined most nights at El Mirador. It was an easy choice on the first night because of convenience, but became easier night after night because it was consistently a great dining experience.

The restaurant is situated at a 100' high clifftop view of the beautiful Cathedral Point just outside Manuel Antonio. Most of the photos you see online of Cathedral Point are taken from the view at this restaurant. The sound of the ocean breaking below is audible and provides a nice ambiance. The open-air layout of the structure allows the normal restaurant din of guest chatter and clanking of silverware and china to dissipate. Even when the restaurant was at capacity there we had a pleasant dining atmosphere.

The menu was diverse and intriguing. I was eager to try all the local seafood choices and Mirador has them all in an array of preparations. My absolute favorite was the grilled mahi mahi which was served over fried plantains. One evening we were treated with Chef Adrian's off-menu preparation of perfectly cooked sea bass in butter, garlic and herbs. Simple and stunning! Customary Costa Rican casado is available, of course, and the chicharones were excellent as a localized appetizer. Wines and cocktails were very nice as well.

The staff is the star of El Mirador and the entire Arenas Del Mar Resort. They are always eager to help in any way they can and do everything with a smile. We were greeted by name often and could tell the staff was genuinely concerned in the satisfaction of every guest. The meal is paced slowly so there is never a sense that you are being rushed, but when we did have a time constraint we simply informed our server of our timetable were accommodated.

El Mirador is worth the trip if you are in Manuel Antonio. They will chauffeur you across the large nature resort by oversize golf carts. All of the wildlife found in the Manuel Antonio park is present on the resort. We saw a mother sloth with twin babies (super rare!), monkeys, iguanas, and more birds than I can recall, (the official count was 182 unique species on site in Jan 2014). If you are staying at Arenas Del Mar, there is genuinely enough variety and delight in the dinner menu to eat on-site every night. After dinner, take a cocktail over to the observation point 50 feet from the restaurant and enjoy one of the best views in the world.

3  Thank Bob B

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Delicious food, nice wines, friendly service. Some local music would make it perfect. Ask for a poolside table for a sunset dinner; the view from these few tables is sensational.

2  Thank mmcgannon
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This is our 4th stay at Arenas Del Mar, so we are very familiar with El Mirador.

We were very pleasantly surprised by the improvement in their menu and quality of the food. The new chef that has been running the kitchen for the last 4 months has made a tremendous improvement. I had the snook the other night and it was very fresh and cooked perfectly. My wife had a stew of fish, shrimp and calamari in a red sauce that she thought was fantastic. Her appetizer of grille calamari looked and tasted good. I had the 18 hour roasted beet in balsamic vinegar that was also very good.

The service has always been very good and the views and location are spectacular.

This is worth giving another try if you have eaten here before.

Breakfast is also very good. Their egg white omelet stuffed with vegetables is the best I have had anywhere. Served with fresh fruit and an always interesting whipped fruit juice blend concoction.

3  Thank fnct
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Delicious .. On our previous stay 2 years ago, I felt the menu had a greater selection. Still, all in all, we were very satisfied with the quality and freshness of all the food. A must for sure!!!

3  Thank Leah1009
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My family really enjoyed dining at El Mirador. The food was delicious and the service was outstanding! My eleven year old son said he gives it 6 stars on a scale of 1 to 5. What made it most enjoyable for me was how much my boys looked forward to breakfast and dinners! Even though there were plenty of choices on the menu, the staff would alter dishes to accomodate my finicky 9 year old. At our last breakfast we took pictures of the waiters because they felt like family and my boys hated to say goodbye.

2  Thank my3sons2013