“Great spot, nice staff, we loved the jungle beach”

Jungle Beach Hotel at Manuel Antonio
Ranked #1 of 20 Manuel Antonio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 July 2013

It seems after reading other reviews, that they have made some improvements. The rooms nice and spacy and are cleaned daily, breakfast had some more options, although still no full continental or anything. The spot is great, because of the monkeys that pass by daily and it is so close to the beach. The staff is very friendly and helpfull. Great spot to stay if you don't want to spent to much money on a hotel (we didn't care for pool, computers and other stuff we already have at home)

Room Tip: room on the top floor facing north
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sjoenie

Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

My experience at the Jungle Beach Hotel was a mixed bag. It's the second hotel I've tried to Manuel Antonio. I'll start with the positives:
-minutes away from the beach by foot
-close to souvenir shops and walkable distance to restaurants
-great viewing place for monkeys and iguanas
-fairly spacious room and bathroom
-cleaned regularly
-breakfast included
-friendly staff

Negatives:
-expensive for what's offered. It cost about $30 more than the previous hotel I tried in MA but didn't offer a full breakfast or pool.
-no computers for guests to use
-no cell phone reception in this area. Obviously this has more to do with the location. Something to consider if you need to make calls.
-rooms a bit musty

Overall, I felt a bit disappointed. I didn't come to MA to stay in a hotel but for the price, I'd like to see a pool, full breakfast and maybe coffee offered throughout the day to guests. I'll probably check out a different place next time I'm in MA.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank MaryClark R
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stayed 4 nights at Jungle Beach Hotel from February 20-24. We loved the character of Jungle Beach, the murals and the large room. We saw 3 species of monkeys while sitting on the verandah - squirrel monkeys, howler monkeys and white-faced monkeys. The squirrel monkeys came through quickly one afternoon, a whole troop of them with mothers and babies on their backs. There is a rope over the road to help the monkeys get across and we think that is what they were aiming for. We also heard and saw howler monkeys - one day at least 15 stayed up in the tall trees overhead for the entire day, mostly sleeping but the young ones were more active. I just laid on my back on the ground and watched them for part of the day. So entertaining!

Another morning the white-faced monkeys came by while eating breakfast and created quite a stir. I only saw 2 monkeys in the park and both of these were by the bathroom. Take a walk down to the public beach and head away from Manuel Antonio, there are some large rock formations and a very peaceful area to walk and/or swim in. I was a bit disappointed in the park, I hiked all through it but the beaches near the exit were definitely beautiful and private. However, it's a long walk to get to them.

Great location - would highly recommend Jungle Beach Hotel!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank laura015
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I stayed here recently, the stay was good overall.

The staff were friendly and helpful throughout. The location of the hotel is excellent and is about 5 minutes walk from the public beach, 10 minutes to restaurants and 15 minutes to the national park. The hotel is one of the last properties on the road away from the beach before the road gets extremely steep and very difficult to walk further.

The rooms are good and clean overall, however there is a strong smell of mould in the rooms as other reviewers have commented on.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank chrismsh
Reviewed 29 April 2013

close to the national park, beach
clean and pretty environment
kind workers

my bathroom drain was not working well.
a little bit smell from damp air and drain (I am very sensitive with smell, too)
breakfast is not impressive

I've checked a famous hostel on the way to this hotel. They charged 60 dollars a night with private room and shared bathroom. Also, there are so many expensive hotels there. I would choose this place for sure one more time instead of the expensive hostel.
Overall, it is a nice hotel with reasonable price.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 최도원
Reviewed 21 April 2013

After reading reviews on TripAdvisor I was happy to make a reservation at Jungle Beach Hotel three months in advance. When I got there,I paid $254 for three nights (85 for a night), and they gave us the room number 4. At first it didn't seem bad, but when I got to the room, I got the impression that I was in the motel with some decorations. It was dark and smelly. I didn't care much at that point. The mattress was uncomfortable. In the morning before going to the park I went to the shower, and there was no water. I cleaned my face with the bottled water. Then I and my partner went to have breakfast and we found out that there was nothing to eat except very old parts of muffins and some fruits. We were in rush to the tour to Manuel Antonio which was amazing, and on the way back I checked several hotels which were closet to the entrance of the Manuel Antonio Park.( from Jungle Beach Hotel 15 mins) To my big surprise, very nice hotels with gardens, swimming pools, and full breakfast cost $75. I went back to Jungle Beach and explained that I was very disappointed by the amenities, and I wanted to cancel the two remaining nights. The woman at the reception told me that the owner would be in the morning, and I could speak with him. I took my things, left the key, and moved to a very nice hotel just 1 minute from the Manuel Antonio Park for $75. In the morning I went back to the hotel. After long conversation the owner said that he could give me the money only for the 3rd night. I didn't fight, I just took money and left. I lost $85 but I spent the rest of my time in a very nice and clean place. Also, there are several hostels very close to the Park, and if this option works for you, you can stay there for just $10 per night. Overall, it is cheaper going directly to the hotel and negotiate the price, and if you pay cash, all hotels that I went to,gave 20-30% discount.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ArmyBoy_87
Reviewed 20 April 2013

This was a true find for us. It was inexpensive compared to everything else in Manuel ANtonio and was absolutely perfect. The breakfast was simple fruit and bread but the troop of monkeys and huge iguana that came every morning made it perfect. The A/C was nice and cold which was a nice break from the heat we had been staying in. Beach is right across the street and was beautiful!

Room Tip: All the rooms seem great!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family