“Very Nice Hostel”

El Faro Beach Hostel
OKC
“Very Nice Hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

National Park Backpackers was a very pleasant surprise! I had a private room, so I'm not sure about the dorms, but the A/C worked perfectly and the bathrooms were immaculate! The staff at the Funky Monkey were very polite and friendly. It's not far from the beach or the restaurants and shops. If traveling by bus, you can call them and they will come get you! The semi-dorm had a kitchen that was stocked in case we wanted to cook a group meal, but with the Funky Monkey so close we didn't feel the need to! There was a mini-fridge and TV in the lobby where we stayed. Definitely will return there on my next trip!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Diego E, Manager at El Faro Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
We are so happy that we exceeded your expectations!

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience with other readers on TripAdvisor!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Hebrew first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

I stumbled into NPBP by accident and have somehow never left , the people are phenomenal, and their desire to make this area more spectacular than meets the eye is ongoing. From Candy your server at the Funky Monkey , Diego the manager and their host of expert tour specialist's, along with reserving any trip imaginable you can sometimes get a better deal by just checking in with the tour desk. The construction is ongoing for the new hotel pizzine complex along with additional parking onsite which will have some of the finest views of the Pacific sunsets imaginable, so start booking your jet ski tours along with accommodations or fishing or anything else your hearts desire may have . If you require anything while here just hit the team up and they surely can help the low budget traveler looking for VIP treatment.

Room Tip: You have a variety of prices and amenities , I chose an A/C'd room for a few more dollars
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Curtis W
Diego E, Gerente at El Faro Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 22 June 2013
Dear Curtis:

Wow... We are over the top pleased that you had such a wonderful time at National Park Backpackers (NPBP). Your very kind words mean a lot to our staff.

Thank you once again for recommending us on Trip Advisor and we look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

Kind regards,
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

I was sleeping at National Park Backpackers for 3 nights in March 2013, really liked the swimming pool and the vibe in the evenings when are outdoor movie screenings above the pool. The best located backpackers hostel in Manual Antonio, really close to the beach and to the National Park.
I liked the big lockers beside each beds in the dorms, I could lock up all my backpacks and felt secure.
It's a great place for a great value with awesome atmosphere, I would definitely recommend staying here for a few nights!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Wonderful.....!! We are very pleased that our recent guests from Toronto, Canada were over the top about our service, location, staff and pool.

Please come back soon!!!

Thank you for sharing your experience on this TripAdvisor forum.

Cheers,
Mount Pleasant
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

I´ve stayed at many hostels and this is a pretty good one. Only things that would make it perfect are air conditioning, included breakfast, and provided water. Other than that they have it all. They have a kitchen you can use, a refridgerator, power outlets everywhere, fans near the front and back of the dorms, a pool, they provide sheets. Also they show movies at night. It is the closest hostel to the national park, only like 5 buildings away from the entrance, and a 2 minute walk to the beach. It is a little hard to find if you don´t know the area but just ask someone when you get there and they can direct you. Its $12 US a night. Also Manuel Antonio is very hot. It reached 102 degrees when I was there. I would recommend 2 days here. Most beautiful beach I´ve seen in Costa Rica and I´ve traveled quite a bit here. They also have storage cabinets for your bags but bring your own lock

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Robert:

Thank you so much. We really appreciate your glowing comments on our Hostel.

Indeed, our beach in Manuel Antonio is just gorgeous!!! And the nature in the National Park is abundant, good that we are just 100 mts away from it... :)

We look forward to your return visit in the not too distant future. We get so many return guests year after year... and we would love to count you among our distinguished return guests.

Warms regards,
Everett, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

This place is super cool! We had a little misunderstanding at the beginning with our reservation, but they made it right with us and gave us a good deal to make up for it, so we feel lucky about that. The facility, pool, kitchen, lounging area is really nice, clean and we had a lovely time here. My husband and I had a private A/C room and it was great. The beds however are as hard as a rock, and we ended up using our blow up mattresses on top of the best to be able to sleep. Everything was super clean, safe and well attended. It's a great location only a few blocks walk from the ocean and main waterfront shopping with restaurants, stores, bars etc. Also, it's a few blocks walk to the huge amazing National Park that I would recommend going to! :) Overall, we had a lovely stay here!

Room Tip: Private a/c rooms were really nice to relax and cool off in, after a day of sweating in the heat and...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you ... Thank you ... Janelle from Washington!
We are thrilled and excited that you loved our Hostel. It appears we did the right thing by our recent guests.
Thank you for pointing out all of the wonderful things you experienced here between our pool, room, cleanliness, proximity to our wonderful National Park and our helpful staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Cheers from Paradise,
Oklahoma City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

I recently traveled to Manuel Antonio in mid November and was looking for an affordable place to stay. I was looking around and found National Backpackers. The description said it was was minutes from the beach and steps from the National Park. This was no lie. The entrance tot he park is just to the left of the hostel and the beach is down the road to the right, about a 5 minute walk.

I booked a private room with my own bathroom, TV, fridge, and AC unit. I found it to be perfect. Out the door from my room and a few steps away is the hostel restaurant "Funky Monkey". It is an outdoor but covered restaurant that is very affordable. They serve a nice variety of food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I would come here every morning to have the "Costa Rican" breakfast and check emails. Also a nice place to relax and have a few drinks after a long day.

To the back of the hostel is where you find the dorms, the pool, and the kitchen. I loved this pool in the evenings after being out in the sun all day. Just floating around with a beer. I definitely made use of the kitchen a few times and it was interesting to talk to the other people from around the world as we ate together. Also, every night a movie would be played via a projector on a big wall that overlooks the pool. Nice place to hang out on some pool chairs and share some drinks!

I stayed here for about a week and had a blast. Affordable, convenient, and very fun. My only complaint, and I have read some of the other reviews, were the mattresses. They were a little thin and sometimes I would wake up with a bit of a sore back. I was told that they were aware of the problem and were in the process of taking action.

If you are planning on visiting Manuel Antonio, I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking out your valuable time to post your review on this TripAdvisor forum and for choosing National Park Backpackers (NPBP) for your recent stay in Manuel Antonio.

Guest satisfaction is our main goal and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion. NPBP Team is proud to keep up with your expectations.

Thank you again for the time taken to provide us with your valuable feedback, we certainly look forward to seeing you soon in the near future.

With Kindest Regards,
General Manager.
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013 via mobile

Being from NYC, the first thing I always do when I get to a hotel is check for bedbugs. I got my flashlight out, and they were in every bed of our room in the hostel. When we told the person at the front desk, he gave us our money back, as there was no way we were going to stay there. He did, however, seem to know full well of the big problem. Which just means that this hostel knows about the problem, but chooses not to do anything about it. Otherwise, location is next to the national park. But again, beware, it's hidden up a bumpy dirt road and not easy to find. Definitely will not be coming here again.

• Stayed December 2012
I must say we are very surprised and disappointed with this review... After trying to dispute it with Trip Advisor (because it seems a suspicious review) with no results.. I have to reply in our defense:
1) First, we DO NOT have bedbugs problem in our hostel.
2) We DO NOT have in our records any money refunded for this reason during the dates he travelled to Manuel Antonio.
3) "Location is hidden up a bumpy dirt road and not easy to find" The way to get to our Hostel is really easy, we are just 100 mts away from the National Park entrance (paved road) and this review says that we are in a bumpy road (???) ...
Anyway, thank you for giving us the opportunity to reply and hope they find some happiness elsewhere in their journey.
Thank you for taking the time to post your subjective review on this TripAdvisor forum.

Travellers are raving about these Manuel Antonio National Park hotels