“Great place to stay, just know what you're...”
other travellers have booked this property
Pool's eye view
View when you walk in the door Living area
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Pool's eye view
View when you walk in the door
Living area
Lounging and pool area
Lounging area
Best seat in the house...
Sunrise from the house
Pool area
Frequent visitor - Great Kiskadee
Pool
Lifeguard - Capuchin Monkey
Capuchin Monkeys lounging by the pool
Kitchen and dining area
Squirrel Monkeys on the blue rope - seen from the kitchen
Master bedroom
Second bedroom
View from second bedroom
Third, lower level bedroom with balcony
Third bedroom
Loft (fourth) bedroom and bathroom
Howler Monkey - picture taken from the house
Squirrel Monkey - picture taken from the house
Squirrel Monkey feeding on tree near balcony of third bedroom
Chestnut Mandible Toucan - picture taken from the house
Side view of the house looking at the dining room and second bedroom
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
JimmyBree...
Brooklyn, New York
“Great place to stay, just know what you're renting!”
Reviewed 24 August 2017 for a stay in August 2017
person found this review helpful

Echoing the other reviews, we'll say that the place is fabulous, perfectly located, and kept up very well. Some of the other reviews mentioned that the house was showing some wear and tear and that there were no railings on the stairs, but this has been corrected at some point, everything was spotless and the stairs were aok.

The housekeeper, who comes daily, is incredible. Everything is spotless by early afternoon, and even any laundry you've left in the hampers in the bedrooms is done and folded on your chair by dinnertime. We were amazed by how much she got done.

The layout is perfect for couples- the bedrooms are huge, the bathrooms are fantastic with great showers for two, and there's plenty of seating for 8-10 people. The kitchen is fully equipped to cook full meals in, and there's a nice gas grill outside (also kept spotless by the housekeeper) that is ready to go.

Quepos is a cool little town, and there's tons to do. Alex was available nearly 24/7 via text to help with ANYTHING, whether it be with a good restaurant recommendation, a maintenance question, finding party favors, or to set up a mangrove kayaking tour or a manicure/pedicure. It's a place that caters to tourists, so it's not problem to get a masseuse sent over or a private chef to cook you a meal.

Our only real issue was what appears to be ongoing construction across the road on a neighbor's house, and it got a little loud during the day- but it didn't start until 8am and ended at 6pm sharp.

There are a few quirks to this place, but none of them are exactly a secret:

As you can tell from the photos, the entire common area on the first floor is open directly to the rainforest. We went in August, and were concerned it'd be too steamy to be comfortable, but we found that the fans kept it all nice and cool (and I run hot)... but this does mean that, in the end, there isn't a common area that has air conditioning. If that's critical for you, you should look elsewhere.

That also means, in addition to the occasional visit from the monkeys, you'll have moths, lizards, and definitely more than a few mosquitos coming in as well (surprisingly, though, we only saw a single dead spider the whole week we were there, likely thanks to the lizards). These visitors seem to add up overnight, and you'll see more than a few of them dead on the floor when you get up- I suspect they mop with a mild insecticide. If you have an irrational fears of bugs, this isn't a good place for you.

You'll need bug spray when you hang out in the living room, and a citronella candle or two won't hurt (bring all this from home, they're both overpriced in CR). But the AC in the bedrooms keeps things icy cold, and if you keep the door shut it's bug-free as well.

There are four bedrooms here, though only three of them are directly accessible from the main house. For the fourth, you have to walk two flights down from the common area and across a small deck to get to it. Not a big deal, but might be a little slippery or wet in the rain (the deck is partially covered from above). The fourth bedroom is a "loft" setup, with a bed up some spiral stairs. A teenager would love it, but note it's definitely set apart from the other three bedrooms.

The pool is refreshing but it is a pretty small plunge pool, only about 4 feet deep. It can be a little hard to tell its size in the pictures, but while six people can easily hang out with plenty of room, nobody's going to be doing any laps.

Parking is easy as long as you have two vehicles or less, and you don't need a 4x4 to get to here. The neighborhood is completely safe, with a guard at the gate at night. If you're willing to walk uphill for a few minutes, you can walk to a number of restaurants and bars and leave your car at home.

For kids: the surfaces are tile and do get slippery with water, and while there are railings, if your children are particularly clumsy or have a death wish of some sort it wouldn't be hard for them to duck through them and fall, in some places for more than a few stories. I wouldn't recommend this place for babies or toddlers, or particularly suicidal 8-and-unders. But everyone else who's comfortable with the quirks of the design will love it, and we'd definitely come back.

Your age range 35-49
Michael N
“Amazing property in Manuel Antonio!”
Reviewed 10 June 2017 for a stay in May 2017

We, (group of seven, ages 15-45), spent a week at Casa Capuchin in late May, early June '17. This property is fantastic! I'll start with the views - they're AMAZING... from every room! You won't find a better location in all of MA! You could easily come to MA and spend all of your time in this home and you would not be disappointed! The home itself is modern, beautiful and very-well appointed. BTW...we had no issues with the "safety" of the home - if you come with a toddler, just keep an eye on them! The rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated. Each bedroom has its own AC, so they are quite comfortable. The living room & kitchen are very nice and with the "open-air" design, they make for some interesting "natural encounters!" Yes... we had lots of "monkey visits" during our stay. REMINDER... don't leave eggs out - the monkeys will come and take them! (or do...no, you probably shouldn't!) In addition to the Capuchins coming by every day, from the house we saw Howler Monkeys, Macaws, Toucans, Agoutis, and many other birds that I couldn't identify! RECOMMENDATION... bring binoculars!! A quick note regarding the

As nice as the property is... Alex and Jess really make the difference! From the initial booking, through the duration of our stay, Alex took care of every detail. Whatever we needed (excursions, taxis, recommendations, etc.), Alex delivered! Jess, the housekeeper, was equally impressive. She made the house look fantastic every day and went above and beyond in taking care of our group of seven. I did not personally deal with the maintenance/pool guy, but everything was tip-top, so kudos to them as well. Really, we've done quite a few home rentals, but none came with the level of support and attention to detail that Alex and Jess deliver!

Bottom line: this home is one of the best we've stayed in and when we return to MA, we'll stay at no other place!

nanonther...
Jenison, Michigan
“Watch those steps!! ”
Reviewed 17 January 2017 for a stay in January 2017

All in all pretty decent. Definitely hazardous steps with limited handrails. The first day here a gal in our party tripped on the angular steps in the kitchen area and lacerated her ankle. I would strongly recommend that you book a different property if you have young children.

Alex, the property manager, is a really decent guy- very helpful and knowledgeable about everything.

The views from this villa are spectacular!! You won't be disappointed in this regard.

Housekeeping service is great and very efficient.

Living room area is partially open to the out of doors- I loved this!! Some in our group did not. This area is mostly shaded, but you'll want to keep the ceiling fans going to keep things comfortable.

Bedrooms are nice. Me and two friends slept in the downstairs bedroom. It was nice and cool and secluded. No ocean view but we were fine with that. The upper level bedrooms have spectacular views of the Pacific.

All in all a good experience. I'd stay here again if given the chance.

BigSkille...
“Good place but has some 'issues'”
Reviewed 19 January 2015 for a stay in January 2015
people found this review helpful

Overall, the property is in good condition but it had a few problems that made me discount the score:

1. I'd have to agree with other reviews that safety is a concern. We had a few teenagers & a 9 year old. We were very stern on no playing/running in the house given lack of railings on stairs & the flooring is slippery when wet

2. Refrigerator took a long time to cool things & ice machine labored. I expected better.

3. The two top rooms have an amazing view. The other bedrooms are more standard/basic. For us, not a a huge deal since we put the kids down there but I'd be annoyed if we split the price of the house & my family got one of the lower rooms.

4. Air conditioning in the upper bedrooms was great & mandatory. One of the master suites had a leak. The staff promptly fixed & that was nice.

5. It took us a bit of troubleshooting to figure out the stove & BBQ - not a huge deal but would have been nice if we had a manual or a brief overview of how to operate things (ok, that may be nit picking)

6. General signs of deffered maintenance on things - some stains on tile floors. Furniture is worn & not that comfortable. The pool is missing tiles, the master bath leaks over the pool if the slider is left open. Kitchen had 2-3 bowls for cereal. We had 10 people. I don't like to eat in shifts. Wine openers were both broken. Should have some plastic cups for drinks near pool. That said, the blender was great & the drinks were liquid smooth.

7. We went @ high season. Had I paid off season rate, that may have influenced my expectations but if they're going to charge the rate, then the expectations are higher.

8. The staff was very, VERY accessible. That was great as they were helpful. I wish we would have gotten a driver (vs. cabs) & had a couple of grocery runs to use the kitchen & BBQ more but if that's your thing, plan for it!

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Management Response
30 Jan 2016
Thank you for your review and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay despite the "few problems." We are the new owners of Casa Capuchin and we wanted to give you an update on changes made since we purchased the property. Like you, we were surprised at the lack of railings in certain areas. We added a second railing to all staircases including the outer one leading to the fourth bedroom. We also added one going into the pool. We have had work done on the refrigerator, we have added directions for the outdoor BBQ, replaced stained floor and missing pool tiles, bought new living room furniture, new dishes, utensils and plastic cups. These are just a few of the improvements we have made since your stay. We hope you will consider Casa Capuchin in the future if your plans take you back to Costa Rica.
5Hbfamily
Huntington Beach, California
“Unreal Family Vacation!”
Reviewed 5 September 2014 for a stay in June 2014
person found this review helpful

This house has the most spectacular views I've ever seen! Plush jungle right in front of the house with the ocean right behind it. My husband and I enjoyed a much needed down time just watching the radiant sunset. Our teenagers loved rushing back home after our outing just so they can see and feed all the monkeys that come right to the pool/patio area. The monkeys usually show up around 2 in the afternoon. The house is very clean, modern, well equipped, and you actually feel like you're living in luxury. There is a guard at the gate and he was very professional and polite. He made us feel safe.
We loved Manuel Antonio as well. Plenty of restaurants, and markets. The beach is amazing and we took advantage of SUP on the calm ocean waters. We hope to return yearly.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Sitting on the patio and taking in the view of wildlife, ocean and people parasailing in the distant.
Liked least: It might might be too big of a house. Our teen boys slept all the way on the bottom floor of this tri level house. No curtains on windows so it took some getting use to. We would freak out at night seeing our own reflections on windows!
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Snoweman
Atlanta, Georgia
“Wish I could rate it higher”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014
people found this review helpful

I would truly love to give Casa Capuchin a higher rating, but there are three drawbacks to the house that will let it only merit three stars.

First, the good:

Cleanliness. The housekeeper does a great job of keeping up with the whole house. The common area is very much an open air concept, so lots of bugs and birds will get in here and die (in the case of the bugs) or poop (in the case of the birds, and I'm sure some of the bugs). It is cleaned up every morning, along with dishes, towels, etc.

Convenience. To us, this place was great. It was a short walk to the store or to many restaurants. Cab rides are pretty cheap, if you need to go into Quepos. We didn't try the buses, but I am sure they are very convenient, too.

Safety. This will be a major negative below, but here I am talking about stuff not being stolen even though there is no wall along half of the back of the house. The alarm system was easy to use, although it would give me a “jump” each time the alarm horn chirped during activation or deactivation. The house is in a gated area (at night), so this helps to reduce petty theft. Another nice precaution is that some of the bedroom doors have a deadbolt, in case your drunken buddies think it would be funny to get you up at 4:00 AM. Seriously.

Alex. I was a bit put off by Alex. He wanted to help out with all of our activities, cab rides, etc. I am more of a “Rick Steves” type of traveler – please don't offer unless I ask. He was a little too pushy for me (at first), but I really do think he wanted to make sure we had a good time in CR. My buddies, by the way, thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. But, this is my review, and you get to hear my side, too. In the end, I think Alex adapted to my style of travel, and I appreciate it.

The pool. It's not huge, but it is refreshing after a long day of zip lining, hiking, canyoning, diving or just about anything else. How a dark pool can stay so cool is beyond me, but I'm not complaining. It wasn't cold, just refreshing.

Now, the bad:

Safety. To all of us (and we all voted to give it three stars), the safety of the house itself was a HUGE concern. This is not a place for small children or drunken adults. My pictures will show it, but the lack of two railings on both stair cases and near the pool entrance looked like a death trap to us. The main stair case in the center of the house has a railing around the exterior. There is no railing on the other side, and someone could easily fall two stories if they are not careful. The same is true to the exterior bedroom. One railing only. The other side is open. The deck railing stops right at the entrance to the plunge pool. The pool itself is suspended one story. This is great for views, but it is very possible to fall over the edge of the pool while you are getting into it. As for the remainder of the railings, they are metal with three coated wires strung every eight inches to prevent sliding under the railing. Even these wires are not properly connected. If you Google “saddle a dead horse”, you will see what I mean. I will have picture posted for this, as well.

The “other” bedrooms. All the websites for this property show the two really nice bedrooms, but neglect the other two bedrooms. The third bedroom is on the lower floor, and doesn't have a view of anything. It's still nice, but not like the two in the web site photos. The fourth bedroom is known as “The Screamer”. That's because it is not in the main house. You have exit the bottom floor and go down the stairs (remember the stairs?), and to what can be best described as a pool cabana with the pool being two stories up. To make it a little worse, it has a loft layout. The bed is on a metal grill type platform, accessed by an interior, spiral staircase. OK..., this staircase doesn't have the same issues as the other ones, but spiral staircases are still a pain. I really wasn't expecting four fabulous bedrooms, but this one really was odd. I would make sure about room assignments prior to arrival.

General wear and tear. The house really has a “wow” factor when you walk in. But, sitting and looking around, will let you see the water stains, the loose or falling soffits, and other disrepair. My buddy felt like his shower head was poor at best. Mine was OK, but I wasn't expecting spectacular water pressure. The furniture is like it's from Ikea – Nice looking, but not really comfortable. One of the rooms A/C went out over night. It was uncomfortable for the person that had that bedroom, but it was fixed the very next day. It's still a nice house, but the jungle and its humidity are taking its toll on it.

Another note about safety, be careful with wet feet from the pool. The tiles are slick and it seems like all of the furniture, railings and stairs have sharp corners/edges.

General Points:

The monkeys may come by the house to visit. They can easily gain access to the common living area (since half the back wall isn't there). If you leave food out for them, they will take it. If you leave small objects out for them, they may take it. If you're wondering where your phone went, don't be surprised if a monkey answers when you call it. I almost lost a dive watch to one of these little urchins.

We hired a private chef to cook for four of us when we knew we were going to have a very full day. We were quoted $100, plus the cost of food. Here's where I think we were Tico priced, if not Tico taken. Don't get me wrong. The food was excellent. Here's how it went: Alex sent over the chef. He has a restaurant in town. He brought over a menu for us to go over. My buddy and I sat down with him. We ordered ceviche and guacamole with chips for an appetizer. For the main course, we had red snapper in two different styles and steak with bacon and peppers. We ordered tres leches for dessert. Everything was wonderful. Since there was only a little bit of guac and ceviche left over, we asked that they make sure to save it, instead of throw it away. There was lots of fish and steak left over. I guess we needed to ask that to be saved for us, too. It was not in the refrigerator when the chef and his daughter left. The best part was the food bill. While the chef cost us $100 (US Dollars – NOT CR Dollars), the food cost another $170! $270 for four, that did not include wine or leftovers!!! One of my buddies paid and tipped another $30 on top of the that. I would recommend getting the chef if you don't mind the actual price. Make sure to check on the total price after selecting your dishes.

My buddy wanted me to mention the water out of the faucet tasted great. I have been to CR before and knew it wasn't like Peru. Feel free to drink the water from the tap.

The verdict. Would we stay in this house again? Maybe. Not with kids. We were four adults and still had concerns for our own safety. Alex has other properties he manages. I would look into those, first. I'm not disappointed with our stay. And we were suspiciously prepared for the bedroom choices. Focus on the positives in the beginning in the review, but be mindful of the drawbacks.

BTW – I am looking at the TA reviews and photos. I wonder if I will be able to publish my photos.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location
Liked least: The safety of the layout
Travelling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
JBATL
Atlanta, GA
“Great House and Owner!”
Reviewed 6 March 2014 for a stay in March 2014

Overall this is a fantastic house with great views of the ocean and tropical landscape. The main living area and bedrooms are large, and each has their own bathroom. The house is as pictured and you get visits from the monkeys each morning and afternoon. There are also plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance. In addition, Alex (the owner) scheduled everything we requested, from tours/activities to helping us get fresh fish to grill.
Some cons include the distance from the beach (trade-off for the great views), the main floor is completely open and can get a little hot during the morning hours (there are fans and a pool though), the 4th bedroom is separate from the main house and has a loft bed that may not be convenient for all guests, and you will wake with the sun b/c of the vast amount of windows.
I’m only pointing out the cons because I appreciate accurate feedback on tripadvisor, but I would still choose this house if visiting the Manuel Antonio area again. We had a great time, and all six of us enjoyed the house and amenities.

Travelling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing