“Contagious passion!”

Johan Chaves - Guided Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: I am Johan Chaves, a local naturalist guide who has lived in the region since my childhood. With the passion, enthusiasm and the experience gained at the field during this 8 years in my profession, I am always willing to give each customer a lifetime experience through my office; the rain forest. I offer individualized tour services that can be customized ranging from a fun family vacation to a serious nature trek thru the stunning scenery of the Manuel Antonio park.
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Contagious passion!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

It's impossible (for me, at least!) to be around someone who so clearly loves what he does and not be affected by it. We had met a couple the day before while horseback riding, and they invited us to join them on the guided walk through Manuel Antonio National Park (which we were already planning to do) with Johan. It was easy to find Johan through our hotel reception, and we were booked. Johan came to pick us up the next morning from the hotel (though you could also opt to meet him at the entrance of the park) and off we went. What a warm, kind, intelligent person! We got to the park and realized there were only four of us! What a treat to practically have a private tour. Johan is knowledgeable, witty and just cares so so much about the biodiversity and the wildlife. He really took his time with us, was very present the entire time and is clearly well-respected by his peers. It was a terrific way to spend the morning, and we finished off at the beach in the park, and a dip in the ocean, which was so needed after a sweaty morning. Thank you, Johan, for another terrific memory of the whole trip!

1 Thank DreamerGirl1103
looking4nature, Owner at Johan Chaves - Guided Day Tours, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Pura vida from Costa Rica! I want first of all to thank you for taking your precious time to write a review about my services. But above all, I want to thank you for letting me be part of your experience during your trip to my country, a country rich with diversity of nature, but with wonderful people as well. I am glad to heard that my services filled your expectations, and If our paths are meant to cross again here in CR, It will be my pleasure to serve you as a guide.

• Hebrew first
Santa Barbara, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Incredibly knowledgeable and great with kids”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We recently had a tour set up with Johan for Manuel Antonio. He met us at a restaurant beforehand to coordinate and because of his knowledge he knew there would be some squirrel monkeys around. They're very rare to see and he found some for us. That started off the tour perfectly. He was extremely patient with us as we had a group of 11 with 5 of them being kids under 11. He was always finding something interesting and his knowledge about the flora and fauna is unsurpassed. I'd definitely use him again.

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best tour of our trip”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

The tour was amazing. Johan is a very passionate and wonderful guide. He spent a great deal of time with our group and even took us on an extra hike (a little more intense) after the regular tour concluded. His knowledge of the area and love of nature is very moving. If you're at the park, this is a tour not to be missed.

1 Thank Mary M
Falls Church, Virginia
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Superlative Experience”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

You can believe all of the compliments in the other reviews. Johan was the best nature guide I have ever used, and for an incredibly modest price. We used Johan for two tours -- a serious birding tour for my wife and I, and a family tour of Manuel Antonio Park. He was just great at both. For the bird tour, he took us to great places, and patiently helped us find a lot of birds, also telling us a lot about the birds of Costa Rica. He happily spend hours more than the arrangement called for, with no extra charge. Johan is very knowledgeable, very adept at getting hard to see birds in his scope, and most of all infectiously passionate.

Johan was equally special at the family tour, where you could see the deference paid to him by other guides. He kept our non-nature-loving daughters fascinated, both with nature and with questions and answers. He located a great array of wildlife.

Johan's best quality, however, is how nice he is to be with. He happily adapts tours to your interests and abilities, and is just a real pleasure to spend time with. After we left Manuel Antonio, Johan continued to help me by email with birds in other parts of Costa Rica, and discussion of the Costa Rica and U.S. football (soccer) teams at the World Cup. I consider him to be very much a friend as well as a guide.

We are looking forward to returning to Costa Rica, and re-uniting with Johan.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Ejeffrey
Oakland, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Johan is a superb guide!”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Johan took us and two other families on a wonderful tour of Manuel Antonio park. Thanks to his expertise, we saw numerous mammals, reptiles, insects, birds and plants that we would never have seen on our own. He is extremely knowledgable about the animals' behaviors and environments as well as the history of Costa Rica. He was great with the kids as well, assigning them each an animal to find. He was well organized, responsive to email, and the transportation was great. We would do another tour with him in a heartbeat.