“Great Hotel”

Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Edmonton
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed at the Parador for 1 week. It is a beautiful hotel in a extremely beautiful location. Rooms are fantastic. We had a few little problems with our room BUT were moved to another room. It was unbelievable what a extravagant room they moved us to in order to compensate for the inconvenience. Silvia the manager at the Parador was absolutely fantastic in understanding our little problem and went way beyond to ensure that our vacation was not going to be interrupted and we could continue to enjoy ourselves. She was simply AWESOME !!!. We travel a lot but have never been treated as well as Sylvia and her staff treated us.

Brent and Wendy

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Carlos C, Guest Relations Manager at Parador Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Brent,

We are so happy to hear about your experience in Parador! Thank you for your kind words about Silvia - we've shared with her and truly brought a huge smile in her face! We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Pura vida!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The second day of a four day stay here, I got pretty sick with a gastro-intestinal bug. We ate only at the hotel and I was careful to drink only bottled water, but still got ill. I called the front desk on a Sunday and asked about getting a doctor to see me. Within an hour I had a doctor and paramedic in my room giving me IV fluids and medication. The hotel sent a messenger to the pharmacy to get the prescriptions the doctor prescribed. Our trip could have been easily ruined, but within 12 hours I was much improved. Service like that is very unusual and I was (and still am) grateful for their kindness and help. We had a Vista Suite in the Suites Building and it had a fabulous view of the Pacific. We had lunch several times in La Fragata restaurant which is in the Suites Building which provided good food at a fair price, a lovely view, and cool breezes on really hot days. We ate in the main restaurant for breakfast and dinner and the food was good, but nothing memorable. We enjoyed spa services while on site and the masseuses were well-trained and we came away relaxed. The pools are lovely and we were glad to use the adults-only pools when the main pool was taken over by small children. My husband took a tour of Manuel Antonio park with Elias (one of the guides available through the hotel) and said it was great and he's got the pictures to prove it. We routinely saw a variety of monkeys, including some capuchin monkeys who delighted in tossing ripe mangoes out of the trees onto tourists below. I would definitely return to this property and would recommend it to others.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience about your stay in this forum. We were so happy to hear that you recovered quickly and were able to truly enjoy the Parador experience - from the amenities and views to the food and amazing wildlife. We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Pura vida!
North Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Parts of the hotel facilities were fabulous (the swimming pools; the proximity to the natural forest and the view) but equally there were disappointments too (we felt we were mislead over the time that our room would become available at check-in and in general and the staff that covered breakfast both days that we stayed there were not friendly or efficient , we had to ask for coffee at least 3 times before we could get it).

However is IMPORTANT TO MENTION the beautiful smile and friendly greetings from the lady that prepared the omelettes . She really made a difference !! ( wish we could remember her name)

The room was ‘solid’ not special and perhaps not quite as good as the reputation or price suggested. The breakfast again was solid if un-spectacular.

To eat, other than in the hotel restaurant, would require a short journey in the car. The flip side of this though, is that it was a lovely tranquil setting with no noise from the road(s).

All in all, and considering the price and reputation of the hotel, we were slightly disappointed.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lydia G, Guest Relations Manager at Parador Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
We're very sorry to hear about your less than stellar experience, especially with the staff—we will be sure to address this with them as service is one of our hallmarks. The woman in charge of the omelettes is Marjorie and yes, her smile is a definite favorite of all our guests! We do hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and make your stay unforgettable. Pura vida, amigos!
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The bad:
Room #1- supposed to be superior room (and should have been for the price) but was less than adequate. We upgraded to a suite and it was much nicer upon 1st appearance.
Ants in room....nothing in the fridge in terms of amenities. Had to call and ask for water, etc to be stocked. It was never restocked automatically. Poor service on that level.
This appears to be a resort that is trendy for the 20-30 something's - parties and loud groups. We wished we had known this prior to the trip.
Main Restaurant was close to awful. Flies and gnats everywhere. Unsanitary. The wait staff is ambivilant at best at breakfast. I assume it's due to low tipping for the free breakfast.
The tour group were great very occomodating -went above and beyond. I will include the concierge service in that same category. The rest of the staff I would rate as sub-par.
The good:
Fabulous view from the suites. Nice adult only pool. Beautiful restaurant La Fragata above the pool with wonderful views and cool breeze with decent food. Unfortunately only open for lunch and pool drinks. Only complaint there was music. Would love to hear the ocean and birds vs. Spanish rap music.
All in all- for the money I would not return to this resort.

Room Tip: We were in 4519- nice view
1 Thank Clintobean
Carlos C, Guest Relations Manager at Parador Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Parador Resort & Spa for your vacation in Manuel Antonio. We are happy hear that you enjoyed the suite, private pool, La Fragata restaurant and the panoramic views of the ocean and jungle. Thank you for your feedback as it helps us improve our product and service. We hope that you return to Costa Rica in the near future.
Brooklyn
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Well, where should I start, let me break it down into 2 sections the "Great" and the "Not So Great".

Not So Great:
1. I made reservations over 3 months in advance and called the hotel yet did not get the type of room I wanted. At first they told me I was upgraded to a tropical garden room and scenery was very important to me. When I entered the room (311) and looked out the window I had a semi mediocre scenery which had a big wall with a painting of the jungle and wildlife to one side. Not happy at all so we were moved to room 308 which was a little better.
2. I had one minor problem with a waiter that is not worth going into, it was resolved.
3. The "free full breakfast" was reviewed by many as wonderful. It was ok, some days better than others. The omelettes, fresh fruit, juices were very good but not a great variety of other selections. I find the seasoning was not to my liking on some things, but that is my personal opinion.

"Great"
Now I will just write a review.
The resort is beautiful and well manicured, the rooms could use a little upgrade, but a very clean and the beds were very comfortable, ac worked very well and the bathroom is spacious and the shower/water was great. Housekeeping was wonderful and everything was well kept and cleaned properly.
The grounds are beautiful and plenty of mangos, bananas, coconuts, almond trees etc.
Wildlife...OMG fabulous, my girlfriend and I saw TONS of Capuchin monkeys which were so very entertaining. They were frequent visitors at the hotel's mango trees. We would watch them pick mangos, eat them and sometimes throw them at us. We heard a lot of howler monkeys, but did not see them, quite frankly, they sounded scary. We also saw quite a variety of beautiful birds, including hummingbirds and plenty of butterflies, iguanas and lizards. On the grounds we also saw sloths, you might need someone who works there to point them out because they really look like part of a tree from afar if they are not moving.
The staff was wonderful, as I said earlier had a minor issue but not worth mentioning. Overall, everyone was very polite, professional and most times had a smile for us. Of course there were a few exceptional one, most of all Franklin, Felix, Beatrix, Rosemary, Carlos, and I cannot remember a young lady ( very petite) that worked in the dining area all were so very pleasant and went out of their way one way or another.
There is a free hotel shuttle bus that takes you from the hotel to Manuel Antonio Park and if you want to go to Quepos, a taxi is only $10. Quepos was nothing great a few shops, that's it.
Restaurants in the Manuel Antonio area were very nice. Our favorite was Cafe Malagro and NO it is not closed. We ate there a couple times and the food was good and they have the very best coconut cream pie, I became addicted. We also ate at Agua Azul, and the food was simple but delicious. La Cantina was ok, food was fresh, yet did not really care how food was seasoned.
The hotel's restaurant was good, yet a little on the expensive side. Happy hour (between 6 and 7 pm) was great, prices were good for the drinks and the appetizers were also priced reasonably during that hour.
Pools were small, yet well maintained. I enjoyed the location of the adult pool because the mango tree located there is one the monkeys frequented.
Spa was wonderful, I treated myself to a couple treatments and they were well worth the money. Margery and Jeannette were fabulous!!
Gift shop was ok, they just opened another shop on the property that had nice pieces of costume jewelry, a little pricey but nice.
Weather was wonderful (early May), early morning clouds burned off and sunny till at least 2pm then clouds rolled back in. Showers came in late afternoon and overnight. No Mosquitos to talk about.
Closest beach was a shuttle bus ride away. We went to the public beach (Mary's) and the shuttle stops there and the beach is clean and you can rent lounge chairs for $5 per person. Mary is there so you can even order drinks and food which she will bring to you on the beach.
Guests I must say were very interesting. I met some very nice and interesting people.
This is a very laid back and relaxing hotel, if you are looking for a place to party, this hotel is not for you.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Linda A
Carlos C, Guest Relations Manager at Parador Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Linda,

Than you for choosing Parador Resort & Spa for your vacation in Manuel Antonio. We are so happy to hear that overall, you had a relaxing time and enjoyed the amazing wildlife that surrounds the resort. And yes - monkeys love mangoes! Our resort is very fortunate for being surrounded by amazing fauna and flora. Thank you for your commending the exceptional service of Franklin, Felix, Beatrix, Rosemary, Carlos, and the restaurant crew! We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Pura vida!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Parador for 5 nights as part of a birthday trip for my wife. Kevin Madrigal and the entire staff do a great job of making you feel important. When we arrived they had balloons and a special snack waiting in our room for my wife and at dinner they shut all of the lights off in the restaurant and sang happy birthday to her with a candle lit cake! The property location and layout are phenomenal and the staff is always ready to meet your every need. The proximity to Manuel Antonio National Park is convenient and the wildlife you experience at the Parador itself is very special. I going to recommend the Parador to all of my clients looking to visit Costa Rica!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AgentBob
Dear Bob,

Thank you for choosing Parador Resort & Spa for your vacation in Manuel Antonio. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your vacation as well as the surprise birthday celebration for your wife. Thank you for your comments about Kevin; we will share with him. And many thanks for recommending Parador to your clients! We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Pura vida!
UK
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

This is a stunning hotel in a spectacular location but we were disappointed with some aspects of our stay.

Maintenance work (hammering) in a nearby room disturbed us on 2 afternoons; no hot water one evening due to a broken pipe resulted in cold showers; the restaurant was very overpriced; noise from neighbours could be easily be heard through the walls and ceilings; room was cramped.

We thoroughly enjoyed the setting, the pool and the swim up bar, but found other aspects if the hotel fell below expectations of a hotel of this calibre.

Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Parador Resort & Spa for your vacation in Manuel Antonio. We hope that you had a relaxing vacation in our resort and apologize for the minor disturbance due to maintenance work in a room nearby. We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Pura vida!