“Great Suite, beautiful hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Parador

Hotel Parador
Haymarket, Virginia
“Great Suite, beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

My wife and I stayed three nights at Hotel Parador. The only glitch was after check in. We arrived around 2pm. Check in is at 3pm and our room wasn't ready. We sat and relaxed in a lounge area near the pool and was told they would get us when the room was ready. Around 3:30 no one had come by. We already had the keys to the room, so I went up there and saw the room was ready. I returned to the front desk and told them I had been to the room and it looked ready. I got the impression that we would have waited a lot longer if I hadn't said anything. That being said, the rest of our stay was flawless. We had booked a "romance package" for our anniversary which included a Vista Suite, private dinner and couples massage. It did not disappoint. The suites are in the newer building of the hotel with it's own adult only pool for suite guests and its own restaurant. The suites were lovely and well appointed. They had a soaking tub and a jacuzzi on the balcony. Well worth the money. The hotel itself was beautiful and the grounds well kept. The complimentary breakfast buffet was a great way to start the morning and was delicious with quite a variety. We only had one dinner at the main restaurant and that was the dinner that came with our package. We had a private room and a 5 course dinner. Chef Alejandro prepared us a wonderful dinner and we had 5 star service from our server Marlen. All in all it was an unforgetable time and we loved our stay

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James R
Lydia G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Parador, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Congratulations again on your anniversary! Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review, and we apologize again for the room wait. We will let Chef Alejandro and Marlen know you particularly enjoyed their service—they love to know when our guests are happy! We wish you many more wonderful years together. Pura vida, amigos!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Hebrew first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

My daughter and I stayed here and even though it was a rocky start (the pre-arranged transportation arranged through them was an hour late to come get us), the room was great, we had our own balcony in the garden, again room was not 5 star quality but still charming. The grounds are beautiful and they have their own private 'monkey trail walk' which has great views of the ocean. The food choices were great each day and it is very easy to get to the beaches with their shuttles. All activities booked through them were great and went without a hitch. Great place to stay and safe. Recommend to all! Great WI-fi through entire grounds.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ocean954
We're so glad to hear you and your daughter enjoyed your stay at Parador! We hope you were able to take back with you plenty of happy memories and pictures of our local wildlife. Please come back and visit again soon—pura vida, amigas!
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

If you want spectacular views to gaze at while drinking your Margaritas by the pool and you want to see wildlife you would never see back home, then this hotel is the place to be. An exquisite, old world Spanish tile with gorgeous tiles, wrought iron and hand-carved fixtures illustrate a beauty of an era gone by. I think Casablanca when I step into this resort. The resort itself is truly a gem. The rooms are fine, not great. They are on the smaller side, but clean (standard room) and the balconies are on the small side as well with only two chairs and a small table--hardly any room for a family of 4. Upon arrival you are greeted by friendly people who take your luggage and the concierge ladies (all who were extremely pleasant throughout our stay) were welcoming as well. I wish I could say the same for the check in people who need to follow in the concierge's welcoming disposition. As you check in someone brings you a warm towel to wash up and a cool drink. There are two adult pools and a huge family pool with a swim up bar. There is a Jacuzzi but it never was even remotely heated during our stay which was a huge bummer! Not sure why it didn't work. The views from the pool are breathtaking--you overlook the Pacific ocean and all its glory. We saw whales one day. The wildlife is abundant....just from hanging out in the pool while gazing at the ocean near the tropical plants, on 2 different occasions we saw a fluorescent hummingbird--so beautiful. We also saw monkeys upon our arrival in our room--they were jumping trees. Another time they jumped on our balcony roof. One night, while I sat outside to watch the rain I saw a sloth (so amazing). We also saw a raccoon ambling through the property--she didn't bother anyone--she was on a mission. While walking the trails we didn't see anything, but I was just as happy seeing it from my balcony. Note about trails--you really need hiking shoes. I wore tennis shoes and it was terrible. Also, it is very humid in the jungle...I didn't realize how overheated I got quickly. Now let's talk about the beach, I must have misunderstood the beach part of this resort, I thought it was nearby. The hotel staff says it is 200 meters away down, yes it isn't horribly far but you have to walk down a steep incline from the resort and 200 meters away is only to the gate or start of the path down (entrance) another steep incline, slippery at times with rocks of various sizes and it was very hard to get down and back up this path. I wouldn't even call it a path, I would call this being out in the remote area that needs hiking shoes. No flip flops--tennis shoes maybe, but hiking shoes would be better. I absolute caution anyone from taking young children, older people and pregnant women down this path to the beach. Parador being close to a beach in walking distance is very optimistic...if you are the Crocodile Dundee type you will have no problem, but I am a city person and this was totally unexpected. I just wish the hotel would be more communicative about it and what guests should expect. They do have the Manuel Antonio beach nearby but it isn't in walking distance--the hotel provides a free shuttle. Okay let's talk about the restaurants--I am very disappointed in the restaurant. The breakfast buffet included in our European plan was pretty decent...the croissants were freshly baked and they had some interesting dishes. Kudos to the chef. And I have to say the lady who works the made-to-order eggs is an absolute sweetheart---they should give her a raise because her job is hard and she is always friendly. So the other meals!! OVERPRICED big time for what they give you. On our last night we got the 3 meat buffet for around $29.00 per person and they told us it had a salad bar and desserts. We literally got 3 small pieces of meat, and the salad bar was like the lettuce at Subway (clearly not for a true salad) with dressings sitting out near a grill not on ice so they were already lukewarm, and the dessert selection (albeit very good desserts) was on ice either and they were things that needed to be. At one of our lunches I had "Comida Tipica" and that I would recommend--it was very good. Aside from the good buffet breakfast, I would recommend trying other area restaurants. I like Larador (expensive) and The Wagon (pizza place--less expensive). Also, there is a nice grocery store right up the road that we bought coffee from instead of paying almost $10.00 more at the gift shop and you can buy sunblock and other things you might need. Anyway, my overall opinion is this resort is very nice--I would love to see the resort change the minor complaints I had during my stay, but they were nothing terrible that would make me avoid staying at this resort next time I was in Manuel Antonio, great for families or couples alike. Enjoy the pura vida!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Nikki W
Lydia G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Parador, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review! We appreciate reading both the kudos and the observations—we always striving to improve our service and these details count towards making our best, better. Pura vida, amigos, and we hope to see you again in beautiful Costa Rica!
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

My room was very pleasant and the hotel itself was beautiful. All meals were excellent with themed nights from the restaurants. facilities great except considering the size of the hotel one would have expected a larger pool.
Arrival/ check in was slow and they insisted on taking a photocopy of your passport and couldn't explain why they did it.
The beach is a bit of a trek down the main road and then through the woods. They do however offer transport to and from the hotel to the wooded area. What a climb back up though- not for the feint hearted.
Took my meals in the room at night as i felt uncomfortable on my own in the restaurant which i have never before felt in a restaurant. Not a lot to do in the evenings for a solo traveller.
Average shop on site and the gift shop was extremely expensive.
Nice walks arond the grounds of the hotel with wildlife and birds aplenty.

Room Tip: Great if not travelling alone.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank 888Joanne888
Lydia G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Parador, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you so much for your detailed review—we appreciate every comment as we are constantly striving to better our product. Our hotel does get rather quiet in the evenings, the excitement usually comes from our "Mysteries of the Night Tour," which we hope you had a chance to enjoy. We hope you had a pleasant trip back to England and were able to take home some nice memories of our country. Pura vida!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

This hotel was our last accommodation for our tour group. What a beautiful hotel! Our tour operator really saved the best for the final leg of our tour. It's very classy with a touch of old world charm. We booked two adjoining rooms. One would have been enough for our family of four because the room is spacious with two queen size beds- very comfortable with fresh, crisp sheets and beddings. Bathroom is big and very clean. There's a balcony overlooking the garden. They also have premium suites with ocean view. Food served at the buffet is very good with nice variety. Having breakfast in the open veranda overlooking the ocean and the lush scenery around is such a treat. They have wonderful staff, very friendly and helpful. The hotel has two beautiful swimming pool that look almost like an infinity pool with the ocean as the background. Location is good, short drive to the park. It's a good base to explore the area.

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely review! We are happy you felt your tour operator "saved the best for last" and you could take home some extra special memories of our lovely country. We hope to see you again soon! ¡Pura vida!
Ely, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We finished our honeymoon in this hotel so had a few nights to relax before heading home. Great hotel with lovely rooms, staff and facilities. We booked tours when we arrived and the staff were informative and friendly.
Overall we would definitely recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Sara C
Thank you for choosing us to end your stay in Costa Rica—it's always a pleasure to have honeymooners in our hotel. Congratulations on your recent nuptials and we wish you the very best on your new adventures together as a couple. ¡Pura vida!
Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Overall, we had a great stay at the Parador for the second part of our family vacation and I would recommend the property to others.

Arrival / check-in
Arrived after the long drive from Arenal. Was already excited to see monkeys on the road on the way up to the hotel! We were greeted by a cold drink and an ice cream sandwich for my little one – nice touch! Check-in was a breeze and they whisked us into a cart for the drive to our room. Along the way they showed us the various amenities of the property.

Room 3511
We were lucky enough to have a suite and it was beautiful. The room was very well appointed and very spacious. Our balcony provided an amazing view as well as a hot tub. One odd thing about the room was that the air conditioner (condenser part I guess) was right over where the sofa folded out. We used the sofa bed for my daughter so on the edge of the bed it was always a little wet. No big deal, but an odd design “feature.”

Grounds
The pools are lovely; however we did not try two of them since they were adults only. We spent a lot of time in the family pool – one side cool and one side warm. We also did the small mini golf course. On the last day we walked the trail around the hotel. It provided very nice views of the water. I didn’t see any animals on property, but my daughter did see a monkey run across the pool area one night.

We did not have a car so we basically just had our meals on property. The breakfast buffet was very good and included a number of great items. The other meals were just ok. The food was mediocre and the service was slow and a bit aloof at times. I didn’t come to Costa Rica for great food so this didn’t disappoint me too much. One night there was a wedding in progress so they had the more casual restaurant closed for the reception. We didn’t feel like anything fancy so they accommodated us by letting us order off the casual menu on the patio of the nicer restaurant.

Other
Manuel Antonio ( see separate review) – we took a tour with a guide and would highly recommend it. He spotted so many animals.
Internet was spotty so plan accordingly if that’s going to be a problem for you.
You are a bit isolated at this hotel so if you don’t have a car, plan on paying for taxis.

Room Tip: If you can afford a suite, go for it. you will be in a separate building that is quieter and provide...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Hendersongal
Lydia G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Parador, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
We very much appreciate detailed reviews like yours, because it not only helps future guests to visualize their stay with us, but it also helps us to pinpoint where we can improve our service. Thanks for including the tip about a guide: they are trained to spot even the best-camouflaged animals you might otherwise walk right past. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again on your next trip to Costa Rica. Pura vida, amigos!