“Awesome accommodations” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Lancaster
“Awesome accommodations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2009

I have to say, that this was one of the funnest vacations I've ever taken. It's like being in a zoo with the animals. The hotel is nestled on the hillside overlooking the Pacific. Beautiful sunsets by the pool. Great service. Minutes from Manuel Antonio National Park. Food great. What a beautiful country filled with warm, friendly, mostly bilingual people. I'd go back in a millisecond. A bit pricey, but worth it if you spring for it. Go ziplining if you can stomach it. The hotel arranges it for you $65pp.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
eu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2009

The good: very nice view to the ocean also the garden is great, you are surrounded by nature all the time, rooms are spacious and nice and a guide with information is provided regarding hotels facilities, map and possible activities, butterfly garden tour was included, staff always friendly and helpful

The (not so) bad: jacuzzi might be a little small, no direct access to the beach but you can take a bus and you'll be there in 5 minutes, price is a little on the high side

If you love nature for sure you will also love this hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2009

Stay here!! The grounds are very scenic and it feels as if you are in the middle of the rain forest. The view of the ocean is spectacular from on top of the mountain, but because of this there is no access to the beach from the hotel. However, Manuel Antonio Park is a five minute ride down the road which has beautiful beaches and exceptional wildlife sitings. Definitely do a GUIDED tour of the rain forest at Manuel Antonio Park, and if you have a chance swim at the beach in the park....very secluded. The staff at Si Como No is friendly and helpful with providing information. The room was very nice, especially for being in a remote area. During our stay the hotel was empty and one pool and Claro Que Si restaurant was closed. The pool that was open was refreshing and the food at Si Como No was EXCELLENT. The best coffee and guacamole in Costa Rica!! Great place to sit at the bar or just relax by the pool. I will return to Si Como No.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

This was definitely not the price that I planned to pay for my trip to Costa Rica as the price was not consistent with my idea of "eco travel". With that said, I LOVED THIS HOTEL and my experience there, but would likely stay some place with fewer frills on my next visit...now that I know what to expect from this BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY. Compared to another hotel, that some people I met stayed at (Le Mansion, which is more European contemporary in its style) this hotel is more naturalistic - definitely gives you the rainforest feel...which I liked (even though I don't like bugs...which were not an issue..see below)
My highs for the hotel:
1. Loved the pools - and the associated hot tubs! 1 was for family, the other was for adults only. There were not massively huge, but since we were there in the down season, barely any other guests were there.
2. Loved our room! Though the place had a rainforest feel, our bathroom definitely felt more contemporary...to me. The view!!! Ahhh....
3. Breakfast was pretty good! I did not eat any of the meat, but my eggs or omelet was always made to order, yogurt/granola was great, waffles were tasty, fruit was yummy (had to dig to avoid flies)
4. Staff was so helpful...especially the front desk when we had to use the phone several times to arrange changes w/our tours that were facilitated with an outdoor company
Lows of the lodging.
5. Expected more bugs...nada! Yes, there as natural life, but no bugs in the room. Yes - there were lizards and iguanas but...what do you expect w/a rainforest outside?
1. FLIES on the fruit - they can really address this by covering the fruit so I don't know why they don't.
2. I guess the price...I don't have anything to compare it to though.
3. Would have liked to be in walking distance to the beach.
BTW: did not use the spa. Loved experience with Exclusive X-cursions travel (Patrick was awesome!). Finally - went during "Rainy" season and would do that again - rained about a max of 25% of the time we were in CR (some at night). Did not affect any activities in Manuel Antonio.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2009

After reading previews reviews, is so sad to find out people more interest in critique a balcony for a chair instead of enjoy the view or to complaint about insects or non sting bees (not flies) in the middle of the rain forest. The service is absolutely magnificent, from the front desk staf, to the maids, waiters, guides, etc. We enjoy eating in both of their restaurants, food was amazing and the waiters made us feel home every time we stepped in. There were several families while we were at the hotel, and the kids were having lots of fun in the slide of the family pool, we rather spend more time at the adult pool for a little quiet time. This hotel made our vacation worth and whenever we´ll think of Costa Rica, we´ll think of Si Como No as the highlight of the best experience we ever had.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Savannah, Georgia USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2009

Generally, I am not drawn to a hotel because of "Green" marketing. Also, the reviews on Si Como No were hit or miss. However, I was convinced to go based upon a few, very professional emails I had with the hotel staff while investigating the place. I did use a travel agent to encourage my decision and to help with renting me a car, which was great to have. We arrived at the hotel late in the evening after driving from San Jose. It was late and we were tired. The staff was very nice upon our arrival, and the rooms were fantastic. The hotel is perched on a hill overlooking the Pacific, so plan on walking up and down. However, my mother (in her 70s) did just fine. In fact, the landscape added to the privacy factor. The room was clean, but a little musty (only when we arrived) because in keeping true with the green pledge, the AC was not on. After a good night's rest, I awoke to a truly beautiful view. Birds were everywhere, monkeys played in the tree outside, and we saw a whale breach. After a few days at Si Como No, we were completely into the green thing. The pool was very nice, had a swim up bar (fun for the kids and adults) and had a slide through the bushes for the kids. I admit, I used the slide as well. The spa was adequate and peaceful. Animals were everywhere, but that is Costa Rica! The staff knoweldge and recommendations about the surrounding area and attractions were very good. They fit our family with activities that were perfect. Finally, we found no food in the area that was as good as that at the restuarant. Breakfast was peaceful and delicious, but dinner was a major home run. We ate out one night. Although it was nice, dinner at the hotel was far superior in taste, presentation and service. The waiter even made a bed out of two chairs for my daughter to fall asleep in so we would not be rushed. That was a nice touch, and they did it in a way that disturbed no other guests. Overall, Si Como No was a hit with my family and my mother. You could relax or get as active as you wanted. Although it was a bit more expensive than surrounding hotels, it was well worth the price.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
Regina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2009

This is a copy of a letter I sent to the owner of Si Como No

Dear Mr. Damalas,
I am writing to you today because I have just returned from you hotel “Si Como No”. I was taken there by my new husband for our surprise Honeymoon!! He planned everything out for me/us and I found out where we were going on the way to the airport!!
We really had no idea what to expect since this was our first trip to Costa Rica and were ready for any adventure that came our way! However we were ecstatic to find that our adventures would all be planned out as our stay at your hotel was nothing except for complete and total bliss!!!
There are so many reasons as to why our stay was so magnificent and if you can handle praise and the ramblings of a new bride.. Please read on!!
When we arrived at your hotel, we were able to get your pamphlets that explained how and why “Si Como No” came to be and I was thrilled to hear the story! I am as well have a back ground in film (as a casting director) and had had it with the world and ventured into my own business. I stayed I Canada but am very happy you did not!!!
We love the fact on how eco friendly you are. Recycling, washing bedding, lights off are all aspects in our own lives at home that we love to see the world also embracing. You get 5 stars from us in this department! It would make us come back in a second for that reason alone!!!
Since we were there with so few guests, we were able to meet your staff and have many conversations with them. Getting to know them as people, instead of just people who work there! It was so nice to be able to speak with them in English. We are Canadian and Spanish is not a locally spoken language here and what I took in University was very little!! They spoke to us in English and helped us try to learn their language as well!
I wish I was able to tell you each individual person who made our stay there so perfect but there were so many of them this would be impossible!!
However, there were a few that did stand out and we had many dealings with!
I do not know what her name is but there is a young woman at the front desk that has been there for 11 years (and actually spoke very highly of the boss’s there, not an easy task to accomplish, well done!) who was so helpful in all aspects of tours and helping in Quepos! She always wanted to help us out, always a huge smile and always so friendly!! Tell her thank you from us!!!
Byron in Serenity Spa made another huge impression on us. I was able to make it there 3 times over our stay and actually went back a couple of more times just to purchase items. Byron and those two ladies were so much fun! He always called us by name and was always very helpful!!
Lastly the most memorable staff member you have is Joel. We spent quite a few nights with him at the bar and the restaurant and he was just over the moon amazing!!! Never had to tell him what we drank, he knew! Never had to wait for a drink, always there with a refill. Always said hi to us by name when we walked in. We were actually lucky enough to see him at the beach on his day off and we got to meet his family. Hands down meeting them was a brighter highlight of our trip! We were quite sad to learn that we were not able to say goodbye to him since we left before he returned to work!
So all in all Mr. Damalas your resort is the best vacation we have EVER had and that is largely due to your staff! We read and heard how little the staff turnaround is for the resort and that is a clear indication of the owners/managers and how they treat their staff!
It was an honor to stay at a place that holds their employees in such high regards and we will recommend your hotel to ANYONE that will listen to us!
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!
Rae Neilson