“Loved Si Como No”

GreenLeadersGold level
Cape Cod, MA
“Loved Si Como No”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2007

Excellent family hotel. Beautiful rooms. Nice pool with slide for kids. Excellent food. Lots of activities. We did the Canopy tour which was outstanding. Well trained friendly staff. We also did the Kayak tour. I would pass on that. Everyone we met was incredibly helpful and friendly. We traveled with my 9 year old Aspergers child. He had an amazing time and staff went out of their way to engage him and entertain him. Expensive but worth it. We also flew on Sansa Air from San Jose....Nature Air is a better choice. The flight was short and a bit hair raising . We flew on Nature Air after Quepos to Osa...much better plane and flight.

• Liked — Clean, Well maintained, Great staff, Great food, Amazing beach
  • Disliked — Movies at night were only for adults....
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Huntington Beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2007

Si Como No has wonderful grounds and the rooms were very nice and clean and some with kitchenette's. They also have Internet access from the Hotel Store. The wildlife including monkeys, birds, geckos and lizards just to name a few were abundant. The staff overall was very conscientious and helpful. We did have one incident with the maintenance guy and house keeper. My girlfriend had an IPod that was a gift from her parents and was engraved. We came back to the hotel to find the IPod missing. We spoke to the owner who is American, and all he could do was have us fill out a report. As we came home that day the maintenance crew was in front of our room because the rain washed part of the hillside onto the road that goes along all the rooms. Both the cleaning lady and maintenance guy denied taking the IPod. We were very disappointed and I offered them money to return the IPod. We were there two more days and did not want the cleaning lady in our room. On the last day before we left, the IPod showed up, they put it back into our room!! I was going to thank the cleaning lady and offer her a tip, however, upon checking out; the front desk said that we owed money for the two cokes we didn't drink from our mini bar...We believe the maintenance people took the cokes and IPod, however, the cleaning lady felt bad and put our IPod back. I wish we could have had a more pleasant experience. I believe this was an isolated incident and it all worked out in the end except for the $13.00 for two cokes that someone else drank from our room.

• Stayed September 2005, travelled with friends
2 Thank hbrunner
Shoreview, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2007

We stayed here as part of a spring break trip to Costa Rica last year. Hotel was very nice, nestled into a hillside, overlooking the Pacific Ocean. It was very eco-oriented and wildlife and birds abounded.

Staff were friendly and very helpful with tours and quickly dealt with any issues. Restaurant was nice and the food was good. The morning buffet was especially nice with great selection of fruits. Pools and water slide was fun.

Can't recommend highly enough!!

• Liked — Location set into the rainforest
  • Disliked — Everything was great!
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2007

We are just back from an incredible week in Manuel Antonio. I couldn't decide on just one hotel for the week, so I booked two. One, was Si Como No and the other was Tulemar. Our stay at Si Como No was outstanding. We were in a deluxe room in building 12 with an incredible view of the ocean and lush landscape. The grounds of the hotel are maintained to the highest standards and the staff is very professional, kind and helpful. The breakfast buffet was awesome, they even froth your milk for your coffee, loved it. The selection of foods quite wide and quite good. The kids pool proved a winner with my kids. The waterslide and swim up bar (where they ordered Fresca's) was way cool. The giant lizards walking around was an added bonus. My husband and I escaped to the adult pool, while my children were supposedly reading in the room (no TV's). We kept in touch via walkie talkie's. I wanted to mention Karla Rodriquez at the front desk for being a huge help in planning our excursions in M.A. and for arranging our drive to and from San Jose. (Anthony our driver was excellent, he made stops at the crocidile bridge, market and a quaint roadside restaraunt for drinks.) A few notes of interest while you're in M.A. Go to Bambu Jam for dinner, our definite favorite of the trip. Cafe Milegra for lunch and don't do the park without a guide, this was another highlight. Thanks again for everything Si Como No, we'll be back!

• Liked — Great service
  • Disliked — Rooms could have been a tad bigger
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank Scottsdaletravelmom
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2007

I wanted to write a quick review to let everyone know my thoughts about Si Como No. My boyfriend and I went there for a week near the end of March. We had a wonderful time and I can't say enough great things about the hotel. I really don't have a single complaint. The room was very clean and adequate, the adult pool was great (especially the swim up bar). Views were amazing!! Everyone was extremely friendly and the property was very clean. There is a spa, great movie theatre that plays a show every night and several restaurants on property. The Claro Que Si restaurant served what I claim to be the best meal I had on the whole entire trip and the views were absolutely amazing (again!!). Also, if you are planning a wedding at this property, the Claro Que Si restaurant would be an ABSOLUTELY PERFECT location for a wedding reception. I'm not certain if they rent it out for private parties, but if they do it would be a great option. Please ask if you want some further details about it.

I wouldn't recommend taking a trip down to Quepos.. it is basically just a town and isn't very pretty to look at. You will see as you drive through it on your way to the hotel. The walk down to the beach is about 25 minutes in the other direction of Quepos, but of course the hotel has a shuttle that runs about every hour. Manuel Antonio National Park is beautiful. It is $7 to enter and has another three beaches inside it. They aren't secluded though so don't assume you are getting away from the crowds by going in to the National Park. There is another huge beach outside of the park that is of course free. Beach chairs will cost you though (about 3,000 colones or $6). For nightlife I recommend Bambu Jam (live music and dancing around 9 or 10pm) and for late night The Lounge. Take a taxi to Bambu Jam though as it would be a lonnng hike if you were going to walk.

I highly recommend Si Como No though. The hotel was great and the staff exceptional. Also, their morning breakfast is wonderful---there are many many options as it a full buffet.

One last piece of information. My boyfriend and I stayed in an economy room which was their least expensive type of room. They typically reserve these rooms for walk ins as they smaller and they don't really market them. You can also reserve this type of room prior to your arrival, so if you are looking for a cheaper option this is it. The room was great.. we still had our own patio with chairs the room just was a bit smaller but definitely still adequate.

The hotel is great for both families and couples. Again, I highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank telegirl
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2007

My wife and I stayed at Si Como No for 6 nights from March 16-22nd and had a great stay. Most reviews of the hotel on this site are good, but we did read a couple questionable reviews before going. After staying at the hotel, and in Costa Rica in genreal, not sure how someone could have a bad time unless they a very hard to please and don't like the sun, beach, cool activities and surroundings, and nice people.

Just Costa Rica in general is such a great place, we will definitely be back to explore other parts and more of the Manuel Antonio area. If you are considering going, stop thinking and go, you will love it.

As for the hotel specifically, here is how we would rate/summarize a few key items:

Hotel Location and Appearance:
The hotel is built into the jungle and side of the hill/mountain that overlooks the Pacific Ocean. It is a little bit of a walk to the beach but the hotel supplies a shuttle to take you to and from the beach/main park area (maybe 5 min.). Most hotels around Manuel Antonio are in the same area and not right at the beach. You want to be on the cliff overlooking the ocean.

The hotel and rooms are very well maintained and everything looks clean and new. We had a smaller room as we were more interested in the activities and being outside, but even it was very nice and clean. We were able to look in some of the bigger rooms and they all looked very well maintained as well with all or most having a view of the ocean. Si Como No seemed to be one of the nicer places in the area and we are glad we picked it. You will not be disappointed.

Now I will remind you that you are surrounded by nature and there will be monkey, birds, geico the gecko's friends and family, etc. outside your room on a daily basis, so if you don't like nature maybe this isn't the right place for you (not just the hotel the area). We had a few ants and the occasional mosquito get into our room when we left the door open, but it was to be expected considering our surroundings. Again think about where you are located, you're not in the middle of the city. I think most hotels here will have this problem. And just so no one is surprised none of the rooms have a TV.

Hotel Amenities:
There are 2 pools, both very nice and can see the ocean, one even has a water slide if you have kids or the "kid in you." The adult pool is a little quieter and relaxing, but we prefered the family pool. Both have pool bars.

There are 2 restaurants on the hotel property as well. We tended to eat mostly at Rico Tico which serves B-fast, Lunch, and Dinner. Food is great and selection and prices good as well. The other restaurant is open for dinner and a little more expensive/nicer, but both are great places to eat. There are a few restaurants/hotel restaurants nearby you can go out to as well.

By the way B-fast at Rico Tico is included and has a good variety of food, not your typical continental you see in the states, much better. New food replenished from 6:30-9:30, no need to worry it will run out. Drink the Coffee, Costa Rican coffee is nice.

If you want to hang out and partake in the bottle past 10-11 at night you will probably need to head out to some bars down the street or in Quepos, but you will probably want to rest up for the next days activities instead.

In addition a recent Movie is shown each night around 8:30PM in an on-site theater that sits probably 40-50 people. We watched a couple nights.

There is a spa next door to the hotel (didnt try) and also a gift shop (a little more expensive than some of the shops near the beach, we recommend heading down there for souvenirs but just our opinion). The gift shop also has an internet cafe.

Staff:
The entire staff (front desk, concierge, restaurant, drivers, cleaning services, etc.) we are all very nice and helpful. Most if not all spoke Englsih and Spanish and were very patient with all the guests.

The waiting staff at Rico Tico restaurant were great. We can't say enough about them.

The concierge desk was very helpful and has a list of tours and will help you reserve them (usually you can book the day before). You may be able to save a little bit of money booking yourself (we are only talking about a few dollars), but they make it easier and you know you can trust the tour groups you are going with. Transportation is usually included.

Hotel Price:
The prices seemed competitive with other similar quality hotels in the area (for example it seemed to be similar in cost to La Mariposa). You can probably find a better price in some of the smaller places in the area, but it will not be quite as nice and we felt it was worth it.

By the way, if you are just looking for a place to sleep and dont need a very big room, just a nice bed and nice shower (really nice by the way), ask if the economy room is available. Its a little cheaper than some of the regular or big rooms. Just depends what you are looking for, we still had a nice private view of the ocean.

Getting There:
We took Sansa charter flight from San Jose (~$50 each) and had the hotel pick us up at the Quepos airport with a $5 shuttle. Nature Air also does the flight from San Jose for around the same price. There is also a bus from San Jose, but hear it takes 3-4 hours. The plane was a little scary since we went through a rain storm, but only took about 25 minutes and felt safe most of the time. Your call.

Activities:
We did zip line, horseback, catamaran sunset sail, atv tour, and took a tour of Manuel Antonio Park We would recommend all of them. Make sure you check out Manuel Antnoio Park and go to the beaches there for at least 1-2 days. We wanted to surf, but ran out of time, and water water rafting we heard is good but in March the river is a little low/quiet b/c it is the dry season. Ask the front desk for advice on tours and things to do, they were honest and gave great recommendations.

All in all you cant go wrong with Costa Rica and Si Como No is a great place for couples and families to stay.

Chris & Sibel
NY, NY

P.S. - check and see if the momma and baby sloth are hanging out in the trees next to reception.

• Liked — Location, near a lot of activities/sites and it was built into the jungle hillside without disturbing too much of the area around it, was still very nice.
  • Disliked — Not much, were some ants/mosquitos in the room, but expected it given where we were.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ctrice11
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2007

Costa Rica Review

From 27 January to 2 February we vacationed in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica. Although we had originally considered traveling throughout the country, we finally decided that we were looking for a relaxing vacation and didn’t want to be schlepping our luggage from place to place. I’m happy we did this because although we did not get to see the Volcano in Arenal or other parts of the country, we did have a great time and saw some great things.

Travel: We flew into San Jose and took a short (25 minute) flight on a “puddle jumper” from SJO to Quepos Airport. We flew Sansa, but there is another airline called Nature Air that also makes this connection. We were happy with Sansa and they are located one block down the street (to the left) when you exit baggage claim at SJO. You do not need to take a taxi. FYI – Sansa is serious about their baggage weight limits. They allow no more than 28lbs per person, which is not a lot. Anything over that you will pay – it’s not much ($.50 per lb), but it’s worth noting.

Hotel: We chose Si Como No because a family member had stayed there and raved about it. I was a little worried that it’s not on the beach (we like to be at the beach), but honestly I didn’t miss it much and there aren’t very many hotels in Manuel Antonio (MA) that are on the beach anyway. In MA, this is one of only 3 or 4 hotels I would consider staying in after I’ve seen what’s there. I admit that I have fairly high standards, but a lot of the hotels in MA were dumps! Be sure to check out trip advisor or travel books before deciding on your hotel. We were very happy with Si Como No. The service was terrific and the view from our room (#17) was amazing. We decided to go with a deluxe room, but after being there if we had to do it over again I’d probably go one level down. We had a kitchen that we did not use at all. FYI, pretty much all of the rooms have a view of the ocean. Breakfast is included in the price of the room and I found it to be very good. They have a good selection and will make eggs to order. Most mornings I had some rice and beans, eggs, fried plantains and fresh fruit. Delicious! We also ate at the Rico Tico Restaurant and got bar food at the adult swim up bar. All of the food was good – I was addicted to the chips and fresh salsa as well as the chicken burritos.

As I just mentioned, Si Como No has two pools – one of which is for adults only. This pool was so quiet and relaxing, very nice. The swim up bar there is so great – such a great invention!  While at Si Como No we saw black iguanas, Jesus Christ lizards, Titi Monkeys (endangered and rare to see), White Faced Monkeys, a Sloth and numerous birds and geckos. One morning we even heard Howler Monkeys! It was so much fun!

Activities: The Si Como No concierge was very helpful in booking activities for us. We went scuba diving (not the best), on a Zip-Line Tour and on a Nature Tour through the Manuel Antonio National Park. We also had a couples massage at the Si Como No Spa, which was great. We loved the Zip-Line Tour, but don’t expect to see too many animals there. It’s more a thrill kind of tour. I recommend doing the nature tour as early in your trip as possible. Once you’ve been on the nature tour you will be very proficient at spotting lots of different animals. On the tour through the Park we saw black iguanas, Jesus Christ lizards, a Coatimundi White Faced Monkeys, Howler Monkeys, Sloths, an Anteater, bats, a turtle and numerous birds. The guide brings along a telescope so you can see animals way up in the trees. Be sure to bring your own binoculars, we forgot to do this. We also did a short tour of the Butterfly Garden, which is located across the street from the Si Como No. It was neat.

MA National Park: A couple of days we just went to the park and lounged on the beautiful beach. There are a couple of beaches, but we found the first beach you come to along the trail to be the nicest. All of the guides will tell you that the “Third Beach” is the nicest – but everyone goes there and it’s more crowded. Plus there are lots of rocks and coral which kill your feet. At the first beach, the bottom is completely sandy and it’s very nice. Don’t be surprised if you see lots of animals when you are simply sitting on the beach. We saw many lizards and the white faced monkeys would come by from time to time. They are known to steal things – especially food, of course – so be very careful. I saw one monkey steal this lady’s tank top that she had hung over a tree branch to dry. I felt bad, but it was kind of amusing. MA National Park is a great place to relax and explore. Si Como No runs a free shuttle bus to and from the Park as it is too far to walk.

Restaurants:

All of these restaurants were within walking distance of Si Como No. If you like Mahi Mahi, it’s very fresh in MA. I probably at Mahi at least 4 times for dinner!

Agua Azul – We ate her twice. The food is very good and the view is amazing, beautiful at sunset. The Agua Azul Margarita is a killer. Be prepared.

El Avion – It’s literally a restaurant built around a plane that crashed (at another site in Costa Rica?). Everyone will recommend that you go to this restaurant for the experience. The food is not that great, but it’s not bad either. Kind of neat place, but don’t worry if you don’t have time to eat here. Just drive by and take a look, it’s right on the road to the MA National park.

Salsipuedo (sp?) – This is a tapas restaurant. The staff is very friendly and the food is delicious. Definitely give this place a try. If you are hungry, get 3 tapas per person. If not, go for 2 per person. We went when it was dark out so I’m not sure if there is a view from this restaurant. I don’t think so, though. There were tons of geckos here which kept us amused while we waited for our food.

La Papillion – A fancier french-inspired restaurant located at the Mariposa Hotel. The food was good and the atmosphere was very nice. It was a bit more upscale than some of the other restaurants, but still fairly casual. The also have some Italian food on their menu.

Rico Tico Café (located at Si Como No) – Food was good, waiters very friendly and helpful. We at here our first night because we got in late and didn’t feel like trying to find somewhere else to eat.

Overall this was a terrific trip and I highly recommend it!

Stayed March 2007