“Monkeys, Sloths, and Toucans”
Review of Hotel Costa Verde

Hotel Costa Verde
Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Santa Maria, California
“Monkeys, Sloths, and Toucans”
Reviewed 3 February 2013

This was our final stop in Costa Rica. We spent 4 nights here in early January. My husband and I were in D2 and my sister, husband, and two kids were in D4. We were upstairs and my sister was downstairs. Both rooms had beautiful views with large decks. There was a gap between the sliding door and the wall so we did get several visitors (bugs) in our room. Our building was across the street from the rest of the resort (closer to the ocean) so we had a hike to the pools, restaurant, etc. but it was very quiet with only 4 rooms in our building. The room was very comfortable and had beautiful views. The "kitchen" is very small. You get a full-sized fridge, a coffee maker, and a two burner hotplate. They did have a good assortment of pans, dishes, and utensils. We cooked breakfast and lunch in our rooms and went out for dinner.

They had three pools. The main one has nice views of the ocean. There is a smaller one that was very quiet. We saw a lot of animals there while cooling off in the water. The third pool is in the adults-only area. It was beautiful with an unobstructed view of the ocean/sunset. Unfortunately, every time we tried to go there, we were smoked out. This pool seems to have a lot of people who were chain smokers and there was nowhere to go to get away from it.

There was so much wildlife to see here. We saw more animals while at the resort than we did when we went to the Manuel Antonio National Park. We saw squirrel monkeys every evening near La Cantina BBQ, white throated capuchins all over the property, and howler monkeys one evening. We watched a sloth climbing around a tree, finding food to eat. We saw iguanas, butterflies, toucans, a Jesus Christ Lizard, and a green vine snake - all on the resort property. They have several walking trails that we enjoyed exploring. It was a great place to sit back and enjoy the nature around you.

We ate dinner one night at El Wagon and had great pizzas. The next night, we went back just before 5:00 so we could order off the lunch menu. We enjoyed the hamburgers, hot dogs, and wraps. Our final morning we had breakfast at Restaurant Anaconda. The food was good but the views were excellent. Where else can you eat and be entertained by monkeys while looking at the ocean.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank diversdown2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed in area D and had the most beautiful ocean view room with giant doors you could slide open to the balconies. It is recommended to lock the doors when you're not there, which we realized was a good idea when we saw a capuchin in the tree outside our room. We also saw lots of birds and a giant iguana munching on leaves in the same tree. We had to walk up quite a ways for breakfast in the morning but right at 6:30am the capuchins all walk past the breakfast restaurant. At 5:30pm the spider monkeys all walk past the "BBQ" restaurant right next door too! The location is really nice, easily within walking distance of a public beach and Manuel Antonio Park. There's also a bus stop near reception where you can either go to the park or to town for around 285 colones (50¢). There's a family pool but a little more walking will get you to an adult only pool with an ocean view and a bar. We loved staying at the hotel.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2013

We spent 5 days at this resort and it was beautiful! We were in Building E, ( lots of walking up and down stairs) but after a day or two we were used to it.

Walk to the beach was longer than we thought, but it was beautiful once we got there. Would have been perfect if we could have cut thru the vacant property accross the road directly to the beach. We rented two units, one on top of the other. Both clean and great view of the oceans. yes their was a couple ants... but we are in the jungle! the staff was nice and the atmosphere was wonderful. Resturants across the street, made it easy to grab some to eat.

Be ready to be arm... the ocean and pools do cool you off...
We did the 1/2 day horseback riding ( which was really a 3/4 day) and it was wonderful. Booked it with the staff at the hotel.

My whole family was sad to leave... it truly was a piece of paradise.

Getting there was another story.... roads are not great in Costa Rica, be prepared for a bumpy road!

Room Tip: If walking is difficult, try to book cabin near lobby.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 30 January 2013

This hotel is wonderful. The accommodations were nice and clean...views are amazing. My husband & I sat on our balcony and spotted a sloth and white faced monkeys within the first hour! The next morning, several monkeys were playing in the trees and jumping on the roof of the breakfast restaurant. Staff is helpful. All Costa Verde restaurants on the property had really good food. I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Spend the money to get an ocean views with A/C.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I loved my stay in Costa Verde. I was there for my brother's wedding and stayed for 5 days but wish I could have stayed even longer. We stayed in the efficiency so no ocean view was expected. The air conditioner gets COLD! and it was nice to get away from the extreme heat from time to time. Be prepared to get a good leg work out since the property is very hilly and mountainous. The staff was friendly and helpful. We loved the gift shop! The pool was not very clean, but it is to be expected in the middle of the rainforest (a lot of bugs floating--ew!). Make sure to get a massage and mani/pedi at the spa, beautiful views of the ocean while you are being pampered, it was a very relaxing experience. Nightlife is pretty fun, the live band at their Cantina restaurant was great! Breakfast at Anaconda was always delicious, best breakfast I've ever had. Make sure to get the banana bread, try the bacon too! El Avion was great! Very cool how they used the planes!

Now as for the "more monkeys than people" slogan, I didn't see a monkey until my last day there, but when we saw them... there was a whole gang! They were very entertaining at breakfast! Also, the hotel is a good 15 minute walk downhill so a cab would be preferred, although the walk was still nice, great views and lots of wildlife (actually saw a sloth and her baby on a telephone line!). Oh, and there was the biggest spider I've ever seen in my life outside of my room! It was pretty scary, but I was in the rainforest so I didn't complain. This spider was the size of a softball, maybe bigger.

All in all, I would go back to Manuel Antonio, not entirely sure if I would stay in this hotel, but I would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jessica W
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 30 January 2013

We stayed at Costa Verde in December of 2010. And we loved it. My husband and I are both Air Traffic Controllers in the US and the aviation theme through out the hotel was what sold us. The front desk was also very helpful and got our different excursions booked for us in a very timely manner. We went zip lining, white water rafting, and on a boat ride. The restaurants associated with the hotel were great too.

The room we stayed in had an awesome view of the ocean and we could see the point of the national park no problem. I also loved all the wood in the rooms. We had a little lizard friend in shower and we named him Lenny. These lizards were everywhere. But they were small and completely harmless. We also saw a fair amount of iguanas and monkeys. In fact the monkeys seemed to think the lizards were a tasty snack. For how populated the area was there was a great deal of tropical wildlife that was really neat.

My husband and I talk about going back again. Costa Rica was beautiful and our accomadations were great as well.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 28 January 2013 via mobile

This place is beautiful. Great sunset view from my balcony. Excellent staff. Very accommodating."Still more monkeys than people". Awesome tag line. I heard the howlers, never saw them.Recommended by my friend Marsha Bennet from El Gran Escape.

• Stayed January 2013