“Definitely More Monkeys than People”
Review of Hotel Costa Verde

Hotel Costa Verde
Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My partner and I stayed at Costa Verde in May 2014. There are lot of places to stay in Manuel Antonio and I'm glad we chose Costa Verde!

Rebecca at the front desk was quite possibly the friendliest person I have ever met. She gave us great tips on the area and local restaurants down at Manuel Antonio beach.

The room was really nice (Area B, Room 11) with beautiful views of Cathedral Point and the beach. The bed, unfortunately, was as hard as a rock (at least the springs digging into me were), but after some massive days exploring the National Park I still slept like a rock.

There are plenty of places to eat / drink in the immediate area. Costa Verde either owns or is in close collaboration with the bars and restaurants along the main road. It was bit pricey compared to the local establishments down at the beach, but lovely nonetheless.

On our last day, we opened the door and were greeted by an entire family of Capuchin Monkeys - right at the doorstep!

Overall, and fantastic hotel with perfect views, friendly staff (Paco and his Jeep took us everywhere on the complex), and more than enough pools to choose from. Great location just up the hill from the beach (285 Colone bus ride either way). We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Costa Verde

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed in the airplane room
You cant top the view from the balconies,also the place is in a great situation regards to restaraunts and beaches.
Nice place to lay your head,not 5 stars but not pretending to be either.
Clean and convienient ,the beds are hard as rock,but you sleep like a rock on them (maybe all the fresh mountian air)
Eat at Cafe Milagro (think thats right) for breakfast,dinner is about the same anywhere ,maybe theres a great big kitchen underground
that sends the same food up to all the restauraunts in town.
But its not bad food at all.We liked the Cantina,the chef took time to show us how he cooks the food on his outdoor grill.the pizzas next door are good also.
You get what you pay for at this place.
As far as value for money i would say 8 out of 10.
Overall 4 out of 5

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I'm in the travel industry and did quite a bit of research prior to booking our stay in Manuel Antonio. I selected the Costa Verde because it offered a great location, beautiful views and larger rooms. I was a bit nervous because of the poor reviews on the Front Desk Staff but decided to give it a try. After driving from San Jose, we arrived at the resort and as soon as we got out of the car we knew we were home! The grounds were gorgeous and we all let out a big "woo hoo" with excitement which was returned to us from Rebecca at the front desk. She greeted us with the warmest, friendliest welcome I've received at a hotel in a very, very long time! After checking in, we were escorted to our suite in CVII by Paulo who carted our luggage up three flights of steps to open the door to paradise. Our balcony sat within the rainforest and to the left was a gorgeous view of the Pacific. And this was just our room. The grounds are very well kept with breathtaking views no matter if you're by the pool, walking the paths, or having breakfast (which was awesome as well!). The rest of the week was perfect with the help of our new guide (and friend), Rebecca, who selected the very best activities making each day better than the one before. The rest of the staff also went out of their way to ensure a perfect stay. We even ended up adding on a night at the end instead of heading back to the San Jose area. I could go on and on but really think you should just experience it for yourself! We left Costa Verde with tears in our eyes and memories to last a lifetime! Thank you all!

Room Tip: We stayed in the CVII building - room 14. I think it's perfect as it has a view of both the fore...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jody m
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in probably one of the best rooms with a view in the family friendly zone, and would definitely return for the view, the overall location, and the grounds (pool, hotel area, etc). The restaurant with the wood oven pizzas was actually very tasty, but beyond that I wish we would have avoided the others. Nice atmospheres, but so catering to tourists and not the best food for the prices. We figured this out and on our second and last morning went to Cafe Milagro for breakfast, which was spectacular! Wish we went there for every meal!!!

Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Tara Y
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We loved the Costa Verde from the second we drove up the front driveway. The front desk was great at checkin and through our 8 nights at Costa Verde. We probably were at the desk atleast 3 times every day for information and they always happy when they greeted us and were very knowledgeable with help in booking tours, taxis, transportation and local information in addition to all the assistance they gave us prior to arrival. As we walked to our room the monkeys were swinging in the trees. Amazing. Our room (for 4 adult women ) was more than than we could ever hope for. The room was huge and the view was breathtaking. We ate at all the restaurants on the massive property. The food was great, the service was great and the Sangria was delicious. Costa Verde was perfect for us. We will return. Thank you for making our stay perfect.

Room Tip: did not see a fitness center
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank islaandwomen
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is my second trip to Costa Rica but my first time at Costa Verde. We ate at the El Avion the first time we went and decided that if I came back I might like to stay here, so I did. I am very glad to have had the opportunity to stay here. The hotel was very conveniently located near the Park and an easy bus ride down and back. There certainly is a lot of monkey's there. We saw 3 different kinds just on the grounds alone. There was also a sloth and baby every afternoon near our room. The rooms were clean and comfortable ( yes dated and mattress could have been better) but the view was awesome and the jungle proximity brought monkey's and wildlife to our balcony every day. You can't beat that, it's why you come here. The staff was friendly and the pools were clean and warm. The grounds were beautiful and it felt like a real jungle experience The 3 restaurants - el avion, pizza wagon and BBQ were all awesome. We ate at them all and very happy with the meals. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone for the price and location, you can't beat it.. My 25 year old son thought it was fabulous here..

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank luv-to-travel-girl
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

My bf and I had a very luxurious time at this hotel. The hotel which is more of a compound replete with four restaurants, several pools, splendid rooms was started by an American with some eccentric interest in post war airplanes has designed a lovely campus of facilities. The hotel is closely centered next to the beach (vis via a very high hill). The gardens are impeccable and full of howler monkeys, lizards, tapirs.

With the exception of avion-as convenient and beutiful as the restaurants are-food and service is mediocre and I found them to be overpriced! There are great spots in town.

Note: hotel provides no breakfast

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple