“Uninspired”

Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
North Carolina
“Uninspired”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We didn't enjoy our brief stay here - for many reasons - rooms amenities didn't work, staff was uninterested and uninspired, and the cost was excessive relative to the accomodations and food.
It is conveniently located on the main beach in Manuel Antonio. It is a brief walk to the bar and restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ManOntheroadForever

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I adore Karahe. I've stayed here twice and enjoyed it both times. The only thing was this past time, there was a serious ant problem in my room and my friends' room and that's a serious problem for me. Hopefully, they'll get that resolved. But other than that, this place is great. The beds are super comfy and the bathrooms are really nice with hot water. I wished the wifi worked in the rooms though. It only worked by the pool. The staff were really nice people and very helpful. The restaurant had great food although it was a little overpriced. The grounds of the hotel are gorgeous. There's so much nature everywhere and iguanas and monkeys and butterflies. The beach access is really convenient and there is a key card lock on the gates so only guests can use it. And they have chairs out on the beach for guest use. The first time I stayed there I had a room with a balcony and the view was really nice. I preferred it to the room on the bottom floor that I had this time. The pool is really pleasant and you can get drinks and food from the bar and bring them to the pool. Also, it's in a prime location right in the town of Manuel Antonio and super close to the park, which I liked a lot. Overall, Karahe is an excellent choice and I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms with balconies offer the best views
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sarah B
farnham
Reviewed 22 April 2013

This is an interesting hotel. It is on either side of the Quepos-Manuel Antonio road. We stayed on the side by the beach which gave a lovely short walk to both the restaurant and beach. We were allocated a room on the 1st floor (2nd in US terms) which was dark and dingy and not really high enough to have the expected sea view. We were told we could upgrade to the newly completed floor above where the rooms were so much better- light, full width patio doors and lovely ceramic tiled floors. And get rooms 301, 302 or 303 and you get a good view of the sea. But not cheap.
Breakfast was poor with toasters not working etc and very limited choice. We had one good dinner and one poor one at $20 for soup, main and a tiny dessert, Just up the road though are some very nice restaurants which are high above the sea and have fantastic views.
The young man on dinner service was fantastic; other staff should learn from him.

Room Tip: Top floor left hand side looking from the beach
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mjlfarnham
new jersey
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I loved staying at this hotel, the location could not be any better, directly on the beach. It is an easy walk to Manuel Antonio National Park. There was a family of monkeys playing in the Palm trees right on the beach by the hotel every day, so much fun. Beautiful sunsets every night. The resturant was very good...could not ask for anything else! Very relaxing.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank mereteNewJersey
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I stayed here for early April and we loved it. My daughter who is ten and myself found it to be almost perfect. This hotel is relaxed, great vibe and a stunning setting on the beach. The staff are warm and always made us feel welcomed. My daughter met lots of kids to play with at the pool. The hotel is in walking distance to Manuel Antonio National Park as well as close to other major attractions.

A highlight for us was learning to surf at the beach right outside the hotel. It is a perfect spot to relax and watch the children surf. I really recomend you book "Eric" as a teacher who rents the boards on the beach in front of the hotel.

Food is really great with different seafood specials every night. The lobster is a must.

I also want to add that traveling as a female on my own with just my daughter, I felt very safe and cared for by this hotel.

Room Tip: I would pay the extra money and book a premuim room on facing the beach in the lower garden. The roo...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank DeniseP602
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We had a ground floor "ocean front" room--what they don't tell you is that you can't see the ocean from the ground floor so that was the first disappointment. The rooms there are a bit dark and musty, a fresh coat of paint would improve things a lot. The phone was not working and you had to pay extra to use the room safe! The staff at the restaurant were very unfriendly which is uncommon in CR so that was another disappointment. The rooms on the third floor are new so for an additional cost, I'd recommend you stay there. On the plus side, the location, which is about 2 minutes walk to the sands of the beach is wonderful. You can also take a 15 minute stroll to the National Park entrance and where Karahe is situated on the beach, there are no crowds and nice views of the bay. The grounds of the hotel is also very pretty with lots of grand trees and plants. Iguanas visited us in the morning and if you are lucky like we were, white faced monkeys can be found around the restaurant area. The food there was also decent, although quite expensive.

Room Tip: Third floor on ocean side of main street.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Billericay, England
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I've just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel as an extension to a tour of Costa Rica. I will try to be objective as I had booked to stay at a much better hotel and was extremely disappointed to be put in the Karahe. Had I wanted a short cheap break in a budget beach hotel and would be eating out then this hotel might be acceptable, so long as you're not staying on the 1st floor(see below). The majority of the rooms are located across a main road from reception which can be dodgy if you're trying to cross with luggage at busy times. There's a few rooms and some villas up some steep steps on the reception side of the road but you'd still have to cross the road to get to the restaurant, pool and beach. Our room had 2 dbl beds, 2 wicker chairs, TV, fridge(no ice tray), a/c and a clean bathroom but wardrobe space consists of about 12" of open hanging rail although there are 4 large drawers. Our room was tired but clean but our clothes caught on a few inches of laminate trim that was coming away from the fridge surround. Our main concern was the 2ft high wall to the balcony of our 1st floor room which looks out over the garden. It would be so easy for a child or tipsy adult to topple over. I don't like heights so didn't sit out there. The same situation exists on the walk to/from the front doors of the 1st floor rooms where you have a drop with just a 2ft wall on one side. The 2nd floor rooms have been recently added to the main block and have higher balcony railings.
We didn't use the pool as it's too small for anything other than splashing about in but it looks clean and has a small sunbathing area around it. The pool is adjacent to the bar/restaurant which is the hotel's let down. Firstly breakfast is very limited and gets boring very quickly. We only ever had on offer granola, rice and beans, scrambled egg, fruit juice, fresh fruit in the form of pineapple, melon and sometimes banana, bread (plus 2 toasters - one faulty), and coffee/tea. Lunch and dinner was from the same snackbar type menu that includes fish fingers, chicken nuggests and hamburger. Not very imaginative! The restaurant doubles as the bar which closes at 9pm.
Going through a gate from the hotel grounds (re-entry using your room key so you have to take it out with you) takes you straight onto the beach. The beach is large and clean but loungers and umbrellas have to be hired. A pleasant feature of the hotel are the iguanas that are always around and the monkeys that occasionally appear in the trees near the restaurant.
The hotel is, as I've said, right on the beach and is about 15 minutes walk along the beach or the road to the entrance on the Manuel Antonio National Park. There's an assortment of restaurant/bars around each mainly serving the same type of food.
During our 4 nights stay we suffered power cuts on two evenings, both whilst watching live football and one of them was an England game. What bad timing! The longest lasted about 30 minutes but there's no contingency for this in the rooms. No candles are supplied (as elsewhere in CR) and it is really dark.
The staff are friendly enough albeit a bit slow in the restaurant. The reception staff were helpful when we needed assistance contacting our travel company and we were also allowed a key after check-out in order to enter the grounds to access the restaurant whilst we waited for our pickup.
What you make of the hotel will depend on how much you've paid and what your expectations are. Don't expect too much!

Room Tip: Avoid 1st floor rooms with dangerous balcony. Rooms on the reception side of the road mean crossing...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple