“Great hotel and staff”

Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
LaGrange, Georgia
“Great hotel and staff”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

My husband just stayed at La Mariposa for four nights while on a fishing trip out of Quepos. He said the room had an outstanding view, was comfortable and spacious. The staff on check in was excellent as was the wait staff and bartender. He has been fishing in Costa Rica since 1998 and this is the best hotel he has stayed in. He ate dinner there three nights. All were very good, two of the nights were dorado that he caught. The breakfast, which was included was much more than expected. He highly recommends this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lcwboat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Satyed here three days on the second half of my birthday trip. I love Manuel Antonio and this is my second time here. This hotel is well known for its views and they do not disapoint on this claim. They have 3 great pools all with exceptional coast views and the sunset. The rooms are okay. Ours needed updating and refreshed. The lighting is okay. We had a Ocean view room in the new section. Had a nice balcony however with cheap plastic chairs found at Walmart that were not comfortable to sit on. Over all this is a okay hotel. The location is great and they do offer free van rides to and from the beach on a schedule. taxi is $ 8.00 to alsmost everywhere from the hotel to the beach and to most resteraunts. I would go to this hotel if you want a stunning view of the coast and the national park. The grounds are well kept clean and beautifal.I would not go if you want a refrigerator in your room or a newly refreshed room. Also the beds are very hard however all the beds in Costa Rica hotels seem to be. The staff are pleasent and helpfull and always smiled and grested us warmly. The concierge in the evening was always helpfull with resteraunt recomendations and all of them were great. Bottom line go for the view if thats what your looking for . You will not be disapointed. I would stay again however I would stay in the cheaper rooms as i spend all my time in Manul Antonio on the beaches that are great and why I keep returning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BruceG122
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 23 March 2014

During a 9-day stay in Costa Rica, Hotel La Marispoa was the first stop for my husband and me. We had such a great experience! We stayed in a room with a partial ocean view which faced Manuel Antonio Park. The room itself was very spacious and included a balcony which held a jacuzzi, lounge chairs, and a hammock. The room had air conditioning and a fan which kept the living area very cool in the humid, 90+ degree weather. One of our favorite parts of staying at this hotel was watching the sunset every night. We made it a point to go to the pool bar for cocktails and unwind after a long day of activities. We had breakfast every day at the hotel (it was included in the rate) and also had some snacks at the pool, all of which were decent but nothing special. The hotel had wifi throughout the common areas and in the rooms. I will say that the strength of the wifi in the room itself was not good at all, but using it at the common areas was fine. The hotel was in a great location within walking distance to a few restaurants and had free parking, so driving to other locations was very easy. In addition, you can get to the beach on foot by taking a 20 minute walk. Just be prepared for a long hike back uphill! Other than the room and sunset, the standout feature of this hotel was the front desk staff. They were so accommodating from the moment we arrived and helped to answer many questions related to directions and even called a tour operator when they were late to pick us up for an activity. We would highly recommend staying at this hotel while in Manuel Antonio!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hfritzinger
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I stayed here with my boyfriend ( now fiancé) and my grandparents for two nights. We got the partial ocean view room and it was beautiful. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The view from the room was really pretty it overlooked the pool and the ocean, we all sat there on the balcony and enjoyed it as soon as we got there. Our favorite part of the hotel was the swim-up bar, the drinks were delicious and the view at sunset was the most amazing beautiful sunset we had all ever seen. Breakfast in the morning was also very good, everything was delicious and there was plenty of options to choose from. Another thing we loved was that in the morning the monkeys run around the outside hallways it was so cool getting to see them that close.We will definetly be back to this hotel we loved everything about it, especially because we went down to one of the beaches that's near by and my boyfriend got me up on one of the big rocks on the water and proposed to me during sunset !! I love hotel la mariposa !

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank mariaespinales123
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights at the end of a birding/nature holiday and every day was as special as the first - amazing views, friendly staff and good food. We booked a Premier ocean view room which we felt was value for money - as you can tell we never tired of the views! Without doubt we would stay here again - it's a very special place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Patrick F
Quepos, Costa Rica
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Surprise! The event wasn't my wedding, but rather, one of the first overseas events I held on behalf of my company, House of Moxie Creative and our new division, Life Hooky, where we encourage aspiring business owners and entrepreneurs to ditch their daily routine, and in the name of sparking their creative juices and feeling ALIVE, come travel with us for a week.

Our inaugural event was to be held in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica, where I've spent the last ten years visiting, living and working remotely off and on, because I knew how much this place had changed ME. And fortunately, being familiar with the area made planning the event that much easier, because it wasn't even a question about where I wanted our group to stay: La Mariposa would be it. With THE best panoramic views of the ocean, offset by a white, almost Grecian style property that just exudes elegance, I knew it would be perfect. But what I didn't know was how much better the event would become thanks to their staff.

The sales and marketing manager, Manfred, made all the difference. I was, and still am, absolutely delighted with our experience! From the very first phone call he was glad to help us make our stay the best it could possibly be, and was sincerely committed to ensuring he would have every detail in place. From helping us organize the rooming assignments (which was a little complicated given that some participants had opted for a double and some a single), to satisfying our every whim for our group's welcome happy hour, open bar and gorgeous dinner that night - it became quite clear that we hadn't made a mistake in selecting this hotel. For our welcome dinner, we were set up in the most gorgeous private area of the patio, with our own bar and set of waiters, and a table to die for. Yet, perhaps my favorite detail - something we hadn't even expected - was our group's menu printed especially for the occasion, with the name "Life Hooky" at the top, made especially for us. It really is the details that count. Top that off with the staff's happy participation in a fun prank & inside joke we had for our group, which involved the check in staff and waiters wearing fake mustaches upon our arrival! They really, truly made this event special.

And then beyond that, of course, you've got the immaculately pristine infinity pool that I swear I could live in, and morning sunrise views that make you remember how good it is to be alive. The property as a whole is simply breathtaking, with gorgeous ceramic and stone steps leading you to your room, where it wasn't uncommon to find iguanas hanging out - and even monkeys. In fact, I think I saw more monkeys on the Mariposa property than anywhere!

If I could live at The Mariposa, I would. But I suppose that staying there every so often with a group of twenty people from around the world (we had 3 from Australia, one from Paris, two from the UK, three from Canada, and plenty of USers!) will have to do for now. ;)

Mariposa, I can't thank you enough. You can bet your infinity pool that I'll be seeing you again soon!

Room Tip: ALL of the rooms here are fantastic - but definitely worth getting a partial ocean or full ocean vie...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank AshAmbirge
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I am writing this review from the sublime hotel La Mariposa in Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio National Park. I could not be more pleased with my experience here and feel compelled to write this review while I am still a guest. I have traveled extensively around the world and I have never enjoyed a better view from a hotel room-ANYWHERE. Endless blue sky that meets a clear blue ocean peppered with dramatic granite cliffs appearing in the tides. My son´s reaction as soon as we walked in was that it was if we were in a James Bond movie- and he was right. The staff is relaxed and very friendly. The food is reasonable and delicious. The swimming pools overlook the ocean, dramatic cliffs and the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen. A short drive to the beach brings you to a vibrant, beachside hang out with charming cafes, local music, surf lessons, beachside massages in a Venice meets Malibu meets Central America vibe. There are numerous, quite good restaurants within a short walk from the hotel. The Avion is housed in a former military airplane overlooking the sea- truly an experience we will never forget! My family and I were looking for a chill, low key vacation in a welcoming, warm enviornment, reasonably priced but special and memorable and this trip has exceeded our expectations by far. La Mariposa will be a place we return to for years to come when we need to escape the grind of NYC, slow down, and appreciate some good, low keys times in the warm sun. Adventure in Paradise!

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms have breathtaking views.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family