“A wonderful hotel and friendly staff”
Review of La Mariposa Hotel

La Mariposa Hotel
Mainz, Germany
“A wonderful hotel and friendly staff”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I recently stayed at the La Mariposa Hotel in Manuel Antonio and I was impressed. I work for a big, European Airline and get to stay in high end Hotels a lot, but this Hotel can definitely take it up with those 5 Star Hotels.
Taking the local Environment in consideration the La Mariposa is a top Hotel. They offer two Kind of rooms, the very cozy Costa Rican style rooms with a lot of Wood or the fancy modern rooms. I would recommend the local style rooms, as they have so much charme. All rooms and the property is very clean, the staff is super friendly and helpful! Especially Bryan is helping you out with anything you wish. SAme counts for Manfred from Sales. Elias from the Pool-Bar is helping you out with anything you Need while Relaxing in the sun. Perfect hospitality with wild monkeys included. It was just amazing.
The Food is great as well, and for those who want to cater for themselves, there are a few supermarkets in Walking distance. All in all I can only recommend this Hotel. A perfect spot to Switch off for a few days and Forget about the hectic life.
During my stay Wifi was working fantastic everywhere on the property. But keeping in mind it is set in the jungle. I find it very impressive to have wifi anyways. Consider to just Switch off your phone, its worth it!

Room Tip: If you decide on a Ocean view or partly ocean view, take the "old" style rooms if you like...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Markus H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Korean first
Barranquilla, Colombia
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I don't know from where to start, we arrive the hotel on Friday morning (around) 10:00 am, hotel check in is at 3:00pm but there was all the staff to make us feel like most important persons in the hotel(thanks to baryon, Sebastian, manfred the manager, Elias in the pool bar, for make our days the best ever). I assume they do the same with all the guest. By the time you cross the door you can feel u are in another world. The view pictures can't not describe how beautiful look the place in person, you really need to experience that to believe it, we had a upgrade to one of the antique rooms with partial ocean view(no. 9). And we love it. Direct view to the ocean, typical CR tiles, wood made hand furnitures, a room with lot of character, everything was clean, we didn't have minibar and we requested for one, and the staff immediately send us one to the room.in the pool bar we recommend to try the cocktails, margaritas and strawberry dayquris too, fresh and very tasty. We only had food from the light Menu, but the burgers are the best. Breakfast in the hotel is complete, few good options for start the day.( eggs, lots of local fruits, cereal, yogurt, bacon, sausages, caffe and orange juice). We stay there 3 nights, and after all this experience, I will say I will come back very soon.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Juan S
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We recently stayed at La Mariposa for 5 nights and had a wonderful time. The room was large (room 6) and faced a large expanse of trees with ocean view to the side. It was perfect for us as we went to CR to spot animals. We saw a ton of wildlife from the balcony and/ or on grounds (toucans, motmot, capuchins, howlers, squirrel monkeys, trogans, tanagers, anis). There are two swim up bars, a jacuzzi, and an Infiniti pool. The hotel also offers shuttles to/from the beach (10 minute walk to park from there) and is within walking distance to the restaurants in Manuel Antonio. The staff was friendly and helpful (with only one exception: the woman that cooked the omelets in the morning was a grump!). We would stay here again on our next visit to Manuel Antonio.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank langurl
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a 3 night stay at La Mariposa and would highly recommend it to others visiting Manual Antonio. We had a full ocean view room, and it was lovely sitting on our balcony (and lying in our hammock) to watch the sunset or just view the ocean. There was also a jacuzzi tub on our balcony (but we didn't use it).

Room: Our room was very large and clean. We did have two bug visitors during our stay. While I don't blame the hotel for this (you're surrounded by nature - bugs are expected!) I do wish there had been some Raid in the room to take care of that situation.

Restaurant: The breakfast buffet wasn't large but had something for everyone - cereals, yogurts, fruits, fresh juice, various breads, some hot stations (which had some breakfast meats and rice & beans) and an egg station. We also ate lunch there our first day. My husband had a fish sandwich and I had a quesadilla, and we both had pina coladas. Both meals were tasty and made for a good lunch (and the pina coladas were fabulous!). The view was breathtaking. You could just sit there for hours looking at the beach and Manual Antonio Reserve.

Staff: All staff we spoke with were very helpful, but Byron is an exceptional employee. He made us feel welcome from the start, knew our names, and was always asking how he could help us during our stay. A+ employee!

Other: They have a shuttle to the beach though it runs somewhat infrequently. My husband and I would walk down to the beach (about 10/15 minutes on a somewhat-steep dirt road) and take the shuttle back. The infinity pool is beautiful, and very refreshing for a swim in the evening. There are several restaurants and shops nearby, so even though my husband and I didn't have a car, we never felt as if we had to stay at the hotel for dinner. (A great nearby dinner spot was Cafe Agua Azul - about a quick 5 minute walk from the hotel.)

Overall Hotel La Mariposa was a lovely hotel and I had a great experience there. I recommend it to other travelers without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Marie was wonderful planning a dinner for 28 for my son and his fiancée recently. Best view ever in all of the area. Most attentive staff of wait persons, very professional and a bartender who kept the drinks coming for my guests at an open bar we ordered. The settings and flowers were elegant and simple as I requested too. The food was ordered a la carte and all the guests were pleased, wonderful seafood selections. We thought the service was outstanding and the surprise birthday cake for my husband was a nice touch. Many kudos to the staff who helped and made it easy for me from NC to plan and even keeping the storms at bay from raining on us that night!!!

Room Tip: Only ate at the restaurant Papillion, oops, guess I need to do a separate review for that and I will...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Westchester County, New York
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Amazing location! The views from our room(49) were breathtaking. We originally had room 21 which was not very pleasant and only had one bed as opposed to the 2 that we were confirmed for. The staff immediately took care of it and a few minutes later, we had room 49. Cannot recommend it enough. Our children (ages 4 and 7) loved the room and we all enjoyed walking out to the baloney and watching all the world life surrounding us. Capuchin monkeys swinging from the lush branches nearby, parrots flying by... Gorgeous scenario. !The staff were all wonderful and very helpful, especially Byron and Sebastian. We loved the pools and the mojitos are delicious! Food was alright... I'd recommend the calamari for apps. Very safe location and close enough to town(car recommended ) yet far enough to actually get some r and r. 15 min walk to beach but recommend sneakers for the trek. If you have little ones, drive it!!!! The hotel was very clean and we will only stay here when we return.... Loved it that much! Thanks for everything!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Love2jetset2005
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed 3 nights at La Mariposa with a friend. We had reserved and paid for a garden room but were upgraded to a partial ocean view. We were in room 12 and the view of Manuel Antonio National Park and the beach below were gorgeous. The hotel itself is very pleasant to walk around and the infinity pool with ocean views is a perfect place to watch the sunset.

The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful and made an effort to remember us by name, especially Byron. They helped book a catamaran tour for us and provided many restaurant recommendations.

I would absolutely stay at La Mariposa if I return to Manuel Antonio.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends