“Wonderous View”

La Mariposa Hotel
New York
“Wonderous View”
Reviewed 12 March 2010

La Mariposa is simply a beautiful place to stay. The vistas from the room balconies and pool are are just stunning and one of the best in the area. The staff is extremely welcoming and accommodating. When they brought us to our first room, they immediately noticed the air had stopped working and changed us to a larger room with a kitchenette to make up for it. There is a complimentary shuttle down to the town and beach area. This doesn't run often, but taxi's are cheap and easy to come by if needed. The food is very good and the variety of fresh juice blends they have available were a highlight for me. In addition, the infinity pool set on top of the cliff is perfection. Great place to cool down after a day of hiking. I was there with my father, but know from being in the travel business that this is one of the top hotels in the country for honeymooners and I can easily see why.

• Stayed August 2009
1 Thank RobynPringTravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Korean first
doswell, va
Reviewed 11 March 2010

Wow the La Mariposa was fabulous. Extrodinary views, great helpful staff. Food was good and we normally would go out for meals but didn't have to at the La Mariposa. Service was very good.. Everyone was helpful. We will go again. Great time of year to go.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I visited the Hotel La Mariposa in February 2010. We had such a remarkable experience! The views took my breath away. The food was fabulous and the staff was so attentive! The rooms were spotless; it felt like a vacation home, not a hotel. We had such a great time, we already booked our vacation for next January! I defiantly recommend!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Reading the reviews, I am in the middle regarding my rating. The view of the Pacific, particularly at sunset, with a nice wim-up bar and amazing pool are the reasons to stay here. We only ate at the restaurant for breakfast (included), and it was basically the same as the other 2 hotels at which we stayed (ie, adequate). We had a car, so we could drive ourselves to the beach.

Our room was fine -- nothing horrible, nothing spectacular. We were in an older, standard, ocean view room. We did have a nice ocean view from our balcony, but not of the sunset (which makes sense, for standard). King-sized bed with somewhat uncomfortable mattress. No TV (initially, I was bummed about, but later appreciated) and no refrigerator (which was very disappoint, since other rooms do have them). The room was spacious with a jacuzzi tub (we did not try this out) and was odd in lay-out, in that there was no complete separation between the bathroom and the rest of the room. There was a large gap under tha main door, which we covered with a towel after I found a large spider in the bathroom our first morning. We can't complain about service, as we were treated well, including the nice man who came out right away to kill the spider (with his hand) and the bellhop who refused to let me tip him. We did have ants initially, but they stayed in the bathroom and didn't bite. I frequently reminded myself that we were in the rain forest, and I was happy as long as our bed was safe (it was).

Probably not a bad idea to look into other hotels nearby. Don't miss the sunset, however.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Milpitas, California
Reviewed 26 February 2010

I felt compelled to write this review, even though our interaction with the Mariposa Hotel in Manuel Antonio was a couple of years ago...

We have been yearly visitors to Costa Rica since 2000, sometimes twice a year!

I can say with certainty that our worst interaction with any lodging management anywhere in Costa Rica was with the Hotel Mariposa. In fact, in the world - except one time in Munich on a business trip. Bar none!

We have been to Manuel Antonio four times over the years. We have always stayed "down the hill" from the Mariposa at the Makanda. On this visit the Makanda did not have a room available for the last night of our stay - after which we would depart for Juan Santamaria Airport in our car.

I consequently made a reservation for that one last night at the Mariposa Hotel. This reservation was made three months in advance of our visit.

Another very enjoyable Costa Rican visit was just about done when we checked out of the Makanda to check into our room at the Mariposa Hotel. We arrived at the hotel in our car and hiked up to the lobby with a couple of our bags. I showed the clerk the printed copy of our reservation -- but was informed that they WOULD NOT HONOR our reservation.

Initially I was not that concerned - there must just be some manner of mix-up? But when the clerk was adament that we would NOT be staying there, I requested to speak to the manager. (He was already within the lobby, listening to our conversation, but had not volunteered his services until I specifically requested him!)

He then told me the reason we would not be given our room was that an "important guest" had decided to extend their stay, so they had no room available for us!

I clarified the situation for him: we had a reservation, these people did not.

He told me that he didn't care, he would not honor our reservation. (We had not made any deposit.) We were, as they say, ___ out of luck. As related elsewhere, the manager started to become angry at my continued insistence that they honor our reservation.

Then I asked the manager to book us a room at another hotel in the area to compensate us for their unethical treatment. He irately refused to do so, and told us to leave the property.

Don't trust these people.

(This story has an incredibly happy ending. We drove further down the hill to La Mansion Hotel. When we asked about availability of a room and the cost, we found that ONLY the presidential suite was available and it was (about) $500 a night. This was way out of our budget, and we started to leave. The clerk inquired what the issue was, and we told him our Mariposa Hotel story. He summoned the manager, who reduced the nightly rate to what we would have paid at the Mariposa! Guess which hotel I'd recommend!)

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank CostaRicaBirder
Valatie, New York
Reviewed 22 February 2010

You are taken by a shuttle up the most incredible winding road and dropped off at this lush landscaped Hotel. You walk up into the small covered lobby only to keep walking past the lobby on to the restaurant floor to overlook the absolute most spectacular panaramic views you have ever been privileged to see. I mean you absolutely forget to check in because your jaw has hit the floor in amazement that such a place exist.
Once reality sets in that this in fact a hotel with very nicely appointed rooms, you check in and are greeted by the nicest staff you would have ever hoped to meet. From the front desk to the bar tenders to the wait staff to the garden staff to the mangagement. They say the Tico's (Native Costa Ricans) are the happiest people in the World. That may be an understatement because not only are they happy, they are genuinely nice and sincere.
Our daughter became sick. The management called to have a Doctor and Paramedic come to our room, treat her with medication through an intravenus line and stay with her for two hours. How do you top that for service!?! She was back on her feet within 24 hours.
Folks, if you want to stay in Paradise with some of the nicest people in the World, this is the Place!!! I almost forgot to mention the teriffic food that is served here and the extra cirricular activities that the staff will help organize to make your stay even that more magical. There is so much to see and do here, I just can't sing enough praise in this review. By far, one of the accomodative places to stay on Earth.
CJB & Family - Valatie, NY

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
United States
Reviewed 14 February 2010

La Mariposa was everything one could ask for - beautiful location, charming hotel, room, grounds, and staff. Incredible view from the restaurant and our room and balcony. The food and service was excellent and reasonably priced. The staff are courteous, friendly, helpful, and truly engaged in making your stay enjoyable. We were genuinely sad to leave, and will surely be back. A great costa rican experience, and a wonderful introduction to this country and its hospitality.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple