“Room not clean, refused to refund”

Hotel Las Tres Banderas
Nashville, Tennessee
“Room not clean, refused to refund”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

First, they wanted full payment at check-in, which was the only place to do this. After checking in, we killed a couple spiders on the walls. No big deal; we are in rural area. When we turned the sheets down, there was a spider in the sheets. Upon closer inspection, we found several hairs on the sheets. We refused to stay the night, but we were only given a 25% refund since the room had been used. We were also told it was impossible for the sheets to not be clean. Cool, I'll share my bad experience on the web.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jonathan B
Nowacki13, Gerente at Hotel Las Tres Banderas, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Hello,

Wow I was surprised by the comment, we never deny service and we would have been very helpful if you wanted to change the sheets of the bed. Sorry for the spider we do our best considering our surroundings. I'm sad you wouldn't stay at least one night to enjoy the hotel experience. Hope you had a good trip. Pura vida!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a great time at our stay in Manuel Antonio and at this hotel. Andy and Andre were excellent and very friendly, even bringing a TV into the bar for us so we could watch the World Cup opening without leaving the hotel during a storm. The hotel is in a great location, about midway between Quepos and Manuel Antonio. The restaurant was also fantastic.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel is in a great location and on the Quepos/Manuel Antonio bus stop. The owner Andy and his son Andre along with the restaurant staff were incredibly friendly and hospitable people. The rooms were great, clean and reasonably priced. I had a great time here and would definitely stay again. The attached restaurant serves "incredible" food!!
Also ask for Andre's tasty famous "coconut margarita"...Ha!

Room Tip: Try not to get a room directly above the bar/restaurant area, not because of the late night on-going...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 21 May 2014

First off, I'm a 3 year Hilton Gold member; so I have stayed in many a hotel (internationally).

My Costa Rica trip took me on several legs: San Jose, Arenal area, Tamarindo, and finally Manuel Antonio.

Hotel Tres Banderas, to me, exemplified what Costa Rican culture is, if you were to distill it and pour it into a hotel mold.

The owner, Andy, was very gracious and inviting. I read some reviews that showed him in a negative light.. but if you like people who are genuine, friendly, and funny as hell, then you'll like Andy.

His son was very entertaining as well, and makes damn good drinks.

Put these two together and you're guaranteed to have a good time down in the restaurant/bar.

Speaking of, the restaurant- Gondola (which is operated by a private party), was the best dining I had in my 9 days in Costa Rica! The food was absolutely delish; it could rival any 5 star restaurant that I have been to. The lady who owns it, runs it with her husband, who's the main chef and I cannot say enough about their cooking. Like I said, 5 stars all the way.

Back to the hotel; it's not posh or stunning, but whatever it lacks in that department, it more than makes up for it in charm, warmth, and the feeling of a true Costa Rican vibe.
If you want some aseptic, fake, cookie cutter lodging that you can find in any major world city; then maybe you will be a bit disappointed. But in my opinion, I found a gem of a place that truly felt "Tican" to me. I liked the architecture, the rooms, the look, fit, and finish of the place.
Andy and his son were a blast to be with down in the restaurant/bar every morning or evening; and the food at Gondola was just too good to put into words.

When I return to Costa Rica, especially Manuel Antonio, I will be making Hotel Tres Banderas my place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank albe4sure
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We arrived from La fotruna after more than 5 hours on the way and a recieved a very poor welcome by the owner's son.
The rooms were located very high up the stairs and no help was offered to us. Plus the tooms were dirty and there were stains on the sheets. The breakfast was lousy and FULL OF STAINS. The owner arrived at the last day and was much nicer than his son.

• Stayed May 2014
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Little things, the employees are so nice...wayyyy so much nicer than the owner... Who was probably trained as a policeman at some point in life .....he was constantly giving rounds....and orders.....felt like if I had taken my mom with us.....he told a family that was trying to keep their baby busy while eating by watching a video on their cell to turn the volume down.....just like that....in front of everybody....as if he was their parent or something...he is do not kids friendly.....when checking in.....told me up front to keep my kids quiet while they were in the pool....come'on!.....You are not allowed to cook inside the room....so whats the point of having a mini kitchen?

Room Tip: Too many stairs to the second floor!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Manuel Antonio National Park hotels

Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed as usual.Been staying for 9 years now.Andy is Andy and we always have a laugh .The restaurant is doing well. Always good to see Silvinia.foood is good.Would recommend if on a budget.You can't beat it.

Room Tip: Get a suite.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends