“The Complete Package”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manuel Antonio National Park
Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
Concord, California, United States
“The Complete Package”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We got here by accident. Our agent booked us into a less than desirable place that we had to escape from. After seeing Tulemar on tripadvisor we called. They were full for the days we needed, but were able to get us into a different place each night. Sounds bad but they made it so easy! Our personal concierge (Chris was beyond awesome), took care of all the details moving our luggage while we were at an adventure during the day. There are nicer resorts, but not nicer experiences.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steve L
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Hi Steve.....when I walked into the office early last week and saw your reservation...... taken late the prior evening for an arrival in just 2 hours.....I knew you were desperate.....we were basically full.....you were looking for 3 nights......and all we had were three different types of rooms available one night each.....three moves in three days.....and you took it.....I'm so glad it worked out for you.....of course.....having Chris as your personal concierge does make things easy.....he really takes care of his guests......all the details......and I love your title...."The Complete Package"......because that is what we are......we have over 50 different accommodations in Tulemar......from 3-5 Stars....from the basic to the luxury......combined with amazing ocean views, the Tulemar Beach right on the property......hiking trails.....lots of wildlife.......a location right in the heart of Manuel Antonio....and our Personal Concierge service......and you get the "complete package"......we're so glad that you made the switch to our resort and had a great time......next time.....with a little notice......we'll find one villa for your entire stay!

Tulemar Dave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
Teaneck, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 January 2013

This was our first trip to Costa Rica, and I did a lot of online research before our trip. We are a family of 4 with teenagers 16 and 13, and are accustomed to staying in resort-type properties. We usually prefer a kitchen, because my son has celiac, and it is often easier to eat in. We were a little apprehensive a vacation rental, because we were disappointed once before on a trip to Puerto Rico, renting through VRBO. We chose a bungalow, because a one bedroom villa was a little more expensive and was unavailable at the time that we booked.
In a word, Tulemar was fantastic, and lived up to the reviews here on Trip Advisor. We were prepared for the "rustic" look of the bungalow, but it was clean and spacious. The views were magnificent, and we were thrilled to see monkeys jumping on the bungalow rooftops the first morning. The "kitchen" amounted to a microwave, 2 burner hot plate and small refrigerator and freezer, bigger than a dorm style cube, but smaller than a standard one. It was sufficient for our needs, and the bigger units have a more substantial kitchen.
Service was on par with any other place we've stayed. The onsite shuttle took us anywhere around the property, and tours picked us up right in front of our bungalow. Chris, our concierge, was amazing. When the boiler/hotplate wasn't working in our room, he arranged for another. On the second night, the AC wasn't working properly in the living room area where my son was sleeping. He got the maintenance person to come and climb on the roof of the bungalow in the pouring rain to fix it, and wouldn't leave until we were sure that it was working.He arranged tours for us and took us shopping to the local supermarket when we arrived.
The pools were small, but usually had available chairs. I would suggest more pool chairs, but that would overcrowd the deck, and the truth is, most times people were out doing activities, so space was not a problem. The beach was very nice, and the boogie boards and kayaks were a nice touch. Nothing beats sitting on a lounge chair and looking up to see monkeys and a sloth playing. The walk down to the beach, and especially back up is not for everyone, though, but he shuttle is readily available.
We really had absolutely no complaints, and would return in a heartbeat if our travels ever took us back to Costa Rica. Thanks again Chris and Tulemar Dave for a wonderful time in Manuel Antonio!!

3 Thank MichaelF81567
Hi Michael.....thanks for the review on your stay in a Tulemar Bungalow.....we enjoyed having your family with us.......the Bungalows are unique....sitting in the jungle......glass all around.....amazing ocean views.....plus all of the amenities of Tulemar......our beach, the pools, the hiking trails and the resort shuttle......plus our personal concierge service......to make everything so easy.....Chris is wonderful.....thanks again for staying with us and we'd love to have you back!

Vancouver
Reviewed 25 January 2013

My family stayed at the Tulemar Resort from January 14th - 21st, 2013 for the first time. My husband and I are seasoned travelers and we've stayed in a variety of locations across the globe on a shoestring, but also to the highest standard. I believe we're both well versed at appreciating value for money. We stayed in the BuenoVista Resorts - in a one bedroom villa with our two kids - ages 4 and 8.

The highs: the property is gorgeous, the beach is wonderful and everyone is very friendly. We were delighted spotting six sloths over our stay and seeing lots of monkeys, birds and lizards. The concentration and amount of wildlife surpassed our tour at Manuel Antonio National Park. We didn't appreciate the amount of wildlife until we spoke with other tourists. The villa was spacious and had great views of the jungle, water and felt very private.

The lows: we had scant internet connections. Our family likes to use the internet to stay connected, but also do random searches, plan outings and find out information. This felt unacceptable about five days into our holiday. This was compounded by the inconsistent information given from reception. At one point, we were told the entire surrounding area had no access - but then we were told it was the router in our villa. This inconsistency didn't inspire a great deal of confidence.

We also had huge issues with the air-conditioning, and the unit in our villa leaked overnight onto our four year old's pillow to the point where the pillow was supersaturated with water. The management team was quick to respond fixing the air-conditioner, we were offered a complementary meal at a partner restaurant.

The beach restaurant isn't great and worth avoiding. We were also unimpressed with the upkeep of the villa, the bed creaked, the shower sprayed all over the bathroom and some of the mugs were quite dirty when we arrived. It's these little things that add up and start to grate over a weeks stay.

However, my family and I both agree that aside from the frustrations, we would absolutely go back to Tulemar - we saw so much wildlife, loved the beach and the pool - and to be honest that was what we were after. I chose to to list the issues to be completely clear what the limitations of the resort are from my perception.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 26 January 2013
Hi 88Gem88.....thanks for your comments.....and especially your title......I've read your review twice and I think you were very fair......the item I feel needs quick attention is the housekeeping issues you mentioned....they will be addressed.....I wish I had a little more info on why you didn't like the beach bar and grill.....as I do really love it......I know we had a problem with the internet in your area of Tulemar.....I was told it was all 6 villas in that section.....I also need great internet service where ever I am.....that is important.....it's a little more of a challenge along the hillside here....but technology is improving.....air conditioners are a daily issue in Manuel Antonio......with the heat and the humidity......problems happen.....in some of villas they were installed above the beds.....not the best place when a leak occurs.....my apologies....thanks for your kind words about our staff....our beach....the wildlife....and the beauty of Tulemar....and thanks for taking the time to post the review and I welcome you and your family back in the future!

Boston
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed in one of their two bed, one bath bungalow options, without the outside balcony, within walking distance of the reception building but too far for an easy walk to / from the wonderful private beach. Our bungalow decor was tired and in need of refreshing and some thoughtfulness as to the "little things" that make staying at a place more enjoyable. Hooks and towel bars (four adults were staying in this unit) would have been nice. The hooks for the shower curtain kept coming off the shower bar, soaps were of poor quality, the shower had a mostly empty liquid soap dispenser that was never filled despite multiple requests for it to be filled. the beach was the best attribute of the property. Other units may be maintained better than the one we occupied. If we visit this area again we would consider staying here but probably in a different type of lodging option. Families would find this a good place to stay because of a separate family pool.

1 Thank NeedSher
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
Hi NeedSher.....thanks for posting the review of your stay.....I'm so sorry you were not happier with your choice of accommodations.....all 10 of Tulemar Bungalows are identical......and they look exactly like they do in the photos on our web site......they are tropical, rustic and really wonderful......the ocean views are amazing.......we'll check the shower curtain rings.....and I'm sorry the house keepers did not refill the soap dispenser for you....another item I'll follow up on....we're glad you enjoyed our beach.....free lounge chairs, umbrellas, kayaks, boogie boards and towel service.....plus a great beach bar and grill......and you're right about our location....we're right in the heart of Manuel Antonio......there are 10 restaurants within 2 blocks of our front gates.....plus 2 ATMs and a grocery store......we hope to have you back again......besides the Bungalows.....we have 40 other properties to choose from.....like Casa Panorama, the Buena Vista Villas, Villa Mot Mot and our premier, private villas!

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 20 January 2013

My wife and I stayed in a nice, clean bungalow with great views of the ocean. The wildlife is so abundant that we did not even make it into the Park because we saw so much on site (white face monkeys, sloths, toucans, iguanas, etc.). The private beach is a huge plus - kayaks, boogie boards and towels all provided, beach side bar and food, etc. The water was a nice 84 degrees, beach is very sandy with few rocks.

Only negative: There was confusion as to who was our personal concierge. We did not meet him on our first two days (he was assigned to a large wedding party and he thought someone else had it covered.

Big Positive: Once we did get our concierge, he went above and beyond the call of duty. I had to go to the hospital with a rib injury and Eduardo, our concierge, went with me, stayed with me the whole two hours, translated and guided me through the whole process. He never seemed put out the entire time. You could tell that he consistently provides this level of service. 5 stars for Eduardo.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mychal B
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Hi Mychal......first, I'm so sorry that you were missing your personal concierge the first two days.....that should not have happened.....but I'm glad Eduardo did make the connection and helped you the rest of your stay.....I hope you're feeling better and your rib is healing......Eduardo was happy to assist you during that difficult time......just to show you that arranging tours/transportation/activities and help with the groceries are not the only thing our concierges can do....you never know when an unexpected "problem" will pop up....I'm glad you enjoyed the Bungalow and we hope to see you back again.....thanks for booking with us!

Tulemar Dave.
Pacific palisades, california
Reviewed 20 January 2013

This was a fabulous family vacation!! Our villa (Casa Del Mar) was perfect. We traveled with our 20 and 22 year old kids and loved every second at Tulemar Bungalows. After much travel and adventure we were finally ready to relax, enjoy the beach,pools, sunshine and just chill. Mauricio was so wonderful. He welcomed us with a big smile, a bottle of champagne and monkeys and toucans all in the first 5 minutes. Our villa was beautiful, plenty of space ,well furnished, full kitchen but the part all 4 of us liked the best were the large outdoor showers. that was a treat to shower in the jungle wondering if we're going to have visitors.( we didn't in the shower though we did find monkeys in our jacuzzi). We were so happy at the the private beach, with the chair and towel service. We looked forward to hanging with Luis, who managed the beach bar and restaurant. The food was great especially the fish. Every one was so friendly and helpful. It was a pleasure to have a shuttle service to haul us back up the hill after our relaxing time at the beach. We enjoyed the small hikes exploring the wild life. The restaurants recommended by Mauricio were great. We really liked Kapi Kapi, Agua azul, Ronnie's place and cafe Milagro which became our breakfast spot. We spent a terrific morning on a catamaran with a open bar in the pacific (saw dolphins, and snorkeled in the bay) as well as was cooked another great Costa Rican lunch on the boat. the guides couldnt do enough for us. We also took advantage of the relaxing massages that were set up in our house. Silvia and her friend were terrific. A little pampering never hurts. One evening Mauricio set up a private chef to cook dinner for us. What a special night and the food was fresh and delicious.The rest of the time we spent hiking, surfing and swimming,exploing and just hanging !!! Not only will we be coming back but I can't wait to refer Tulemar bungalows to our friends.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Hi Julie.....thanks for the great review on your stay in Casa del Mar in Tulemar.....we're so glad that you enjoyed yourselves........Casa del Mar is a wonderful villa.....two suites.....two and half baths.....two floors......indoor/outdoor showers.....jacuzzi on the deck.....plus beautiful ocean views......all within a convenient location in Tulemar......plus you get Mauricio as your personal concierge.....true pampering in paradise....great for 4-6 guests.....glad to hear that you also enjoyed our beach and the beach bar and grill......thanks for posting the review and we'll be waiting for your return!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 January 2013

We stayed in Manuel Antonio for a few days in late August. We chose Tulemar mainly because of the access to a private beach, something that not many other hotels offered. (The other hotel we had considered was Si Como No which, after stopping in to check it out, decided we were happy with our choice.. Si Como No looked really nice but had more of a resort feel and definitely more kid oriented). The beach was great and even had free boogie boards and kayaks to borrow.

The service was fantastic - we didn't plan anything ahead of time and Tulemar took care of all of our last minute reservations. We took their advice to try the white water rafting trip and it was one of my all-time best vacation experiences. There was some sweet wildlife on the property.. we saw monkeys, sloths and a huge iguana.

The cabins are very charming and felt pretty private, hidden away in the trees. Also..We had to rebook our dates twice due to some bad planning on our part.. Tulemar was very gracious and understanding. Really great experience.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank katattacktownsend
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 20 January 2013
Hi Katattacktownsend.......so glad you enjoyed your stay in Casa Panorama.....the views are amazing.....plus Diego and his concierge team really make the stay easy.....from handling your transportation to Tulemar.....to arranging any tours/activities.....or a quick trip to the grocery store......thanks again for booking with me and we'd love to have you back again!