“Casa Mirador ... Panoramic Heaven” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tulemar Bungalows & Villas

Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Casa Mirador ... Panoramic Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

I can't even put into words what an outstanding property this is...... But here we go anyway ! Lets start out with the casa (formerly casa panorama north) my wife and I stayed here with another couple and couldn't have been happier, the views alone are worth every penny and then some... monkeys visiting daily ... flocks of green and red parrots ( yes flocks ) right off our deck and every amenity that a fully stocked home would have ( toaster , blender , fridge,w/icemaker,etc.)....... But the best amenity this rental home came with in our opinion was the maid service and espicially our personal concierge Bill .... Took care of us in every way .... even on his day off ! ....... We treated ourselves one night to their in house private chef Kris and trust me it was a treat ....another thing well worth the money .... The staff here truly makes this place all that it is .... 5 star .... From Diego and Vanessa helping me set tours up before we were even there to David at the beach , Al and Daniella mixing our drinks ,to Marvin on the grounds crew pointing out numerous critters around the property ..... I've never researched a vacation as much as I did this one and all of it kept pointing back to Tulemar and for good reason it has it all !! ..... So just choose one of the bungalows or casas that best suits your needs and splurge..... you won't regret it ... WE WILL BE BACK!! ( just a warning Bill ... lol )

Room Tip: Get up early to see more wildlife around the property
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 9 March 2013
Hi BigMike7375.....better known to his friends (and me) as Tulemar Mike for the amount of research he did prior to their arrival......I'm sure he learned more about Tulemar (and the other resorts he researched) than many of our staff....lol.....we're so glad that you enjoyed your stay in Casa Mirador......from the villa itself....to the wildlife.....the staff......the beach.....and the location.....right in the heart of Manuel Antonio......thanks again for staying with us and I'm here.....when you're ready to start the research for your next visit!

Tulemar Dave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

We stayed at the Garden House for 9 nights with another couple. We were shown all of the workings of the house except for the alarm system. We were told later that the alarm was not working. No amount of comfort is worth the angst that a robbery produces. In addition, we were sleeping just a few feet away during the robbery! Thankfully, we were not physically harmed. The police saw no sign of forced entry. iPhones, iPads and computers were stolen as were a TV and DVR. Neither Tulemar nor the house owner, Beverly, made any gesture of recompense. We have since discovered that others staying at the Garden house were also robbed but in their case were refunded the cost of their stay. For a community that is advertised as safe this is intolerable.
Under no circumstances would we return. Others should be warned about Tulemar and specifically the Garden House.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
15 Thank Barbara L
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
HI Ann and Barbara.......yes......the Garden House was burglarized twice in last year........while you were visiting in January/Feb and with a group of 9 guests who were there in April of last year..(as evidenced by the 5 reviews posted here together)......the Garden House is one of the private villas in Tulemar.....the owner of the villa handles the management and service......when I heard of your burglary I went to the villa and met with you to see what I could do.....the house manager had already assisted with the police reports......and the owner requested to work with you directly....without my assistance.....as I told you......but I continued to check in with you....and sent an email to Ann a few days after you returned home to see if you and the owner had been in further contact.....(I did send a copy of that email to you again today)......I am concerned about you and the theft......a response back to me that nothing had happened yet would have helped......the owner did make compensation to the group of 9 guests last year and had told me that she would make compensation with you as well......she is a very nice woman from San Francisco who cares about her guests. The Homeowner's Association of Tulemar, who provides the security service for the resort, is also investigating in order to provide a safe community for us all. On behalf of all of the villa owners and staff in Tulemar, we apologize for the theft and feel badly that it happened.
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

We were 9 friends, staying at Tulemar Garden House. We had an amazing vacation, that is only until our last day. When we were out for dinner some thieves had entered to the house and stole 2 macbook pros, 3 ipads, 2 Nikon cameras, 2 blackberries, some cash, and the worst, one my friends passport, which happened to be in the bag that thieves took to carry all the electronics. That friend had to stay 2 more weeks in Costa Rica after we left. I know CR is known as a safe country, and maybe 90% of the time, it is. But this happened to us last year, exactly during these time.

We were never compensated for what we lost, but we were refunded the money we paid for our stay in the villa. But it was def. not worth it. It stil is a beautiful house, beautiful beach, but just dont bring your valuables with you and lock your passports in the safes.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank alpzeynepp
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
HI alpzeynepp.....yes.....I remember your group from last year......a very nice bunch of college students here to enjoy the country.........it was devastating for us as well......to hear of your loss.....Costa Rica is a very safe country......but like almost anyplace.......(including North America).....where there is opportunity for a thief.....things happen........it's printed on our registration cards and our concierges remind our guests........don't leave valuables.....like your personal electronic devices......unattended in the villas.....or in your rental cars.....or on the beach.....and especially your passports and cash....there are safes in the villas for this purpose.......someone did enter your villa while you were out to dinner and take those things....we are so sorry.......and the owner of the villa was quick to make contact and in lieu of the stolen items.....refunded you around $6,000 in cash.......I appreciate your suggestion that tourists should not bring lots of electronics or jewelry with them and to use the safes provided.

Washington, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

We rented one of the best houses over there (garden house) with some of my friends in March 2012. House is nice and the resort that the house is in is also nice but I think safety is one of the most important things to consider while going on a vacation. Take a look at my story:

On the last day of our vacation, we wanted to go out and have dinner somewhere in the area. Apparently, people over there were aware of this. They were also aware of the fact that it was our last day there. As we came back from dinner, we realized that although we had hidden most of our valuable stuff, in total we were missing 2 macbook pro's, 2 professional cameras, iPods, iPads, and most importantly passport, wallet which had all the important stuff in it such as driver's license, credit cards and as you can assume some cash.

As you can assume we were all in complete shock since we lost all our belongings right before a an upcoming flight which was in 5 hours. The most tragic part of the story is that we were not US citizens; we were just coming from US since it was our spring break time in senior year of college. I was the lucky one whose passport was stollen along with his wallet. You probably think that I went back to US after solving all the problems in 2-3 days right? No actually, I stayed there for 3 weeks including the week that we stayed all together with my friends. Since my country does not have an embassy over there I had to wait my passport to be shipped to me from the embassy in Washington. Plus, I had to get an American visa to get back to my college in US. Whole process took entirely 2 weeks but it took at least 3 years worth of time from my life.

How did I survive alone in 3 weeks?
I lived in a hotel room near san jose airport all by myself without going out (you can't hang out outside without your passport, otherwise you take the chance to be arrested in a random security check) with no laptops or anything, just with my phone. I spent approximately 2k for my phone bill, and around 4k for hotel, visa applications, long cab rides, food etc.

What do I think happened that night?
It was definitely an organized crime. Everyone knew that we were leaving that night morning. Security in the entrance knew we left there for dinner, cab driver saw where we lived and kknew we were not going to be there that night, at least for couple of hours. Cleaning lady who is coming to our house every morning also knew what we had some valuable items in the house cause she saw them every morning to their exact locations. Moreover, I believe all of these people that I talked about knew each other and they were in touch to perform this robbery since its a professional one.

I was planning to stay home that night since I did not feel like eating. It was my friends who made me go out to dinner with them. I might not have written these sentences if they hadn't insisted on me to go out with them.

DO NOT RENT ANY HOUSE OVER THERE. EVERYONE WORKS THERE KNOW EVERY DETAIL ABOUT YOU AND THEY ARE AWARE WHEN YOU LEAVE YOUR VILLA, ENTER YOUR VILLA, GO TO BEACH ETC.

thanks for listening to my story. I think I saved you and your money. you are welcome.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
13 Thank Jonathan B
Hi Jonathon B....as I wrote to your friend in the review above....I am sorry your things were taken.....but I don't feel it was an organized crime.......we're just not that sophisticated.......to have the security guards, the house keeper (Mira, the housekeeper, is over 60 years old and has been with the villa owner for more than 6 years).....and other staff work in conjunction to take your things......I believe the opportunity was there......so many items that were so easy to take.....and someone took advantage.

Milwaukee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Tulemar Bungalows and Villas for three nights last week. We were blown away by the private beach, landscaping and wildlife. We stayed in a one bedroom bungalow #308. Orlando, not our concierge, promised us monkeys and boy did he deliver. Each day, we were visited by a family of monkeys. In addition the slough that lived in the tree next to our bungalow kept us laughing. We have pictures of sunsets that were outstanding.

And while most of the staff were very solicitous and accommodating there were unfortunately
a few clinkers in the group that caused a very good rating instead of an excellent rating. One driver in particular would not drop us off at the point that we designated. Because "he knew best" we wandered around quite a bit before we found our villa again. Our concierge was not available when we needed her, did not check back with us about our needs and had very little enthusiasm. But the thing that most irritated my husband was the fact that they could not change a $20 bill to smaller change upon our arrival because they had "no cash on the grounds". This prevented us from tipping the staff for the first day until we got some cash in town.

While the villas are positioned to view the ocean they are a bit worn and need some sprucing up. Also their were two beds in the bedroom, both doubles. It has been a long time since we have slept in a double bed. I would have appreciated it if there was a single king or even queen bed instead of two doubles. And finally the trail that provided access to the beach was downright treacherous! The staff should walk this and make their own assessment of the dangers of this trail.

The private beach was outstanding, the water was warm and beautiful, and it was never crowded. This alone was worth the price of admission.

Sounds like we hated Tulemar, but really we did think it was very good and we would recommend it to others. Our comments are aimed at the management in hopes that you will make adjustments to staff and other issues so this can be again a five star rated accommodation.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
HI Trying2Retire.....(love your name)......thanks for the review on your stay in the Buena Vista 1 Bedroom Select Villa.......I'm glad that you mentioned that you enjoyed your stay and that you would recommend us to others.....and we do take your comments seriously.......Orlando is a great concierge and while he can't always make the monkeys appear......he does try his best.....;-) ......we'll speak with your assigned concierge and the van driver in order to understand how they failed to perform for you...like failing to describe the three ways to go to our beach...the resort shuttle van, walking along the paved roadway or for the adventurous, the North or South Beach Trails....neither of these trails are meant to be the expressway to the beach, but a nature/hiking trail...very rustic, but beautiful (including a waterfall, look out points and wildlife along the way!)......regarding your villa.....the beds are the same in all 6 of these one bedroom villas....either one king or two queens.....so, yes you did have two queen beds.....(we don't have any "doubles" in the Buena Vista Villas).....we'll also pass on to them your comments about the "worn" look.....my apologies.....that should not happen....and you are right....the Buena Vista Front Desk does not keep cash on site.....however.....our office is right up above......and we're happy to exchange your currency.....colones or dollars....however we can.....thanks for taking the time to post your review and for giving us a chance to make some improvements.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

Tulemar is a self-contained paradise that has everything you'll find in the Manuel Antonio park, only better! From the fantastic private beach to the beautiful property with pools, hiking trails and abundant wildlife (we saw several monkeys, sloths, birds...including a flock of tucans), you never need to leave Tulemar to experience the coast. We stayed in Panorama North, a 2-bedroom, 2-story unit that is well appointed and well maintained with 180-degree views from both balcony levels stretching from the water to the mountains. Balconies (one which has a hot tub) are a great place for bird/nature watching. Panorama North also has an excellent staff.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi 4austintx.....thanks for the great headline......we love that....and really appreciate your remarks......we work very hard to please all of our guests......so that they have a wonderful experience like you did.......from the accommodations.....to the personal concierge service.....to Tulemar itself.....with amazing ocean views.....our beach....the wildlife.....the hiking trails......and our location....right in the heart of Manuel Antonio.......Diego and Bill enjoyed having you stay with them in Casa Mirador......(new name!)......and we'd love to have you back again!

Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

We stayed for 8 nights over our February vacation with our two children 12 and 9. We stayed in a 1 bedroom bungalow #116. Our room was spacious and clean and perfectly nice. The view is amazing and the sounds your hear outside seemed piped in. The only downside is they are in need of updating at some point and it would have been fantastic to have a deck. Julien and I believe Christian or Chris helped with all of our plans. They set up our ride from the airport which was long but pleasant. The driver took us to a great place to have lunch right outside of San Jose. He would have stopped for snacks and drinks whenever we wanted. They set up our fantastic white water rafting day, our ATV trip (don't wear anything good - it gets trashed) and surfing lessons. Johnny and two other guys took us to a great spot on the public beach and had my kids and I surfing to the beach. They were patient, excellent teachers. They brought drinks and snacks for us. We loved Tulemar's private beach (they could probably use a few more boogie boards), enjoyed the complimentary kayaks and all the animals - monkeys, sloths, iguanas - on the beautiful property. The beach bar was nice and the view while eating lunch was fantastic. The family pool is great, the pool next to our bungalow was a more convenient location and the view is gorgeous but unfortunately the bar area is closed and there is some construction going on. Costa Rica is a gorgeous place with extremely friendly, chill people who don't try to sell you everything in sight. Many good restaurants including Kapi Kapi and Cafe Milagro (great breakfast, lunch and dinner) are a very quick walk from the resort. The supermarket is a 2 minutes walk or they are happy to take you. It is a beautiful resort with a very helpful accommodating staff. I highly recommend it for a wonderful family trip. A perfect combination of relaxation and adventure.

Room Tip: Might want to splurge for the deck and updated house.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 1330ag
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Hi 1330ag.....thanks for taking the time to post the review on your stay in our Tulemar Bungalows.......and Tulemar.......the Bungalows really are unique.......perched on the hillside with amazing ocean views......the jungle surrounding you....they look exactly like they do in the photos on our web site......great for a family like yours......the Bungalows are the only property in Tulemar without balconies or decks......so we have lots of options for your next trip......Julien and Chris enjoyed talking care of you during your stay....they really do know the best tours, activities and guides in the area......thanks again for staying wiith us and we hope to see you back again!