“Wake up in the jungle!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manuel Antonio
Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
Ranked #1 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
“Wake up in the jungle!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We arrived in the evening after dark, ate at the restaurant on site, and settled comfortably into our Tulemar bungalow. Nothing prepared us for the spectacular view we awoke to! We knew it was nestled in the rainforest, but we didn't expect the dramatic ocean view. The bungalow was very comfortable. The A/C was fantastic...and cools the entire place in just seconds. We loved the 4 pools (the view from the family pool was our fave!) but the water in each was warmer than we would have liked. The private beach made up for that. Watching the tide come in, kayaking, boogie boarding, and ordering lunch on the beach (the fish tacos are to die for!) ---we could've stayed at the beach for days. We hiked the north trail from the beach and were so glad we did. The lookout points were well-appointed and the views fantastic. Luis, our driver, showed us sloths and howler monkeys; a toucan greeted us in the morning and the black and red crabs and a friendly iguana rounded out our wildlife sightings-- we cancelled our plans to go to Manuel Antonio State Park as everything we hoped to see was there on site. Parking was very convenient. Ashley was available to answer any questions and her restaurant recommendation - Dos Locos-- was a hit. The next time we will definitely add a couple more days to our Tulemar stay!

Room Tip: The A/C in the bungalows is fantastic!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen S
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Hi Karen S.....thanks for the excellent review on your stay in one of our Tulemar Bungalows......I enjoyed your story of waking up your first morning and seeing your view for the first time......they Bungalows do have amazing ocean views.......thanks for the comments on the Tulemar Beach and our Beach Bar and Grill......one of my favorite things......lunch on the beach.....under the palms......feet in the sand......with a cold drink and the fish tacos.......mmmmm.......thanks for taking the time to post a review......Ashley and I look forward to your return!

Tulemar Dave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 28 May 2014

First of all, we absolutely loved the place and the people who work there. Luis, Danny, Willie, and Andreas...get a big virtual hug for making our trip perfect. You guys truly rock and made us feel so very welcome! Thank you!

For the first night we stayed in bungalow 113. This place was awesome! It was very private, the air conditioner rocked, and it had beautiful panoramic floor to ceiling windows over viewing the ocean. The only thing missing from this place was a balcony. The beds were also a little hard. However overall I preferred this place over our next place.

We switched to a balcony bungalow for our other nights, #309. Yes, this place had a balcony and a nice view of the ocean and the beds inside were much softer, but there was no privacy. There are two other bungalows on each side that can see right in and the people staying there can wave hello to you! Not so cool for me, especially after I get out of bed in the morning. I prefer to see no one. The air conditioners at this place are not so good and it took a long time for the place to get nice and cool. However, a good thing about 309 is that it is very close to a pool that doesn't seem to be used by anyone. We did really enjoy the pool. There is a very nice maintenance man who will turn on the waterfall in the pool for you when he sees you come in. Thank you Mr. Maintenance Man! However, the hike to this bungalow is quite steep. #309 also has a hammock, huge lounge chaise, dinning table, and a grill on the deck. It was nice having all of those items and we used all.
Both bungalows have kitchens with a stove and microwave. There are grocery stores nearby so cooking at home is very easy there.

Loved the wildlife! Our first day there, Luis took us on a tour and we saw all three types of monkeys. The guys who work there are awesome at spotting all of the wildlife and taking guests to see them. We were also lucky to see sloths and the tucans...and all of these were at the resort. No need to go to any parks. There are plenty of hikes around the resort and the wildlife will for sure be there to greet you.

For dinner, we ate at various nearby restaurants and loved the food. We ate at Victoria, Boca Rojo, and Salipuede (spelling?) I enjoyed cooking breakfast and lunch in my room and having dinner on the town.

To get to this resort I flew into San Jose and flew from there to Quepos the following day. The taxi from Quepos airport to Tulemar is $20. The Quepos airport is very easy to get in and out of. I recommend flying from San Jose to Quepos, because you get to fly on a small little plane allowing you to see Costa Rica from above! Very cool! Also, you don´t have to show up super early and go through security hassles as you would in the US. We used SANSA air, but you can also fly Nature air.

I highly recommend the Tulemar resort! It was perfect for my first trip to Costa Rica.

Room Tip: #113 very private. #309 has neighbors on both sides.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ewa F
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Hi Ewa F......thanks for the wonderful review on your stay in Tulemar.......so glad you had a great time.......and thanks for the virtual hug for the team....they really do care about our guests.......and want to make sure everyone has an amazing stay......just like you did......I see you also had a "combination" rental.....that's an option when we don't have the same Bungalow open for all the dates requested......even though it means a move.....we make it easy.....and you get to experience two different properties in Tulemar........thanks for the comments on both of your Bungalows......I know you mentioned the AC problem to your concierges and they've already had maintenance address the issue.....we also appreciate your comments and suggestions on the restaurants and transportation to Tulemar......our concierge team are happy to make all of those arrangements for you.......thanks again for posting the review and we're happy to book you when you decide to return!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Spent Memorial Day Weekend (for a birthday getaway) at Tulemar in the Premium Bungalow. The views are gorgeous, both in the Bungalow and all over the property. I could have sat on our balcony all day and just looked out at the ocean and watched the birds and monkeys. Yes, monkeys paid us a visit one morning during breakfast. It was fantastic. Very quite, very clean. Everyone at the property is eager to please. From check-in to check-out we had no issues. Our concierge Brian made sure every need was attended to. We had booked our excursions prior to arrival with Julien and everything went without a hitch except for jet ski rentals, which was not Tulemar's fault. The machines were broken. So we made an alternate plan to kayak from the Tulemar beach and it was beautiful. Every driver who took us around the property was courteous and helpful. Thanks Joshua for the nature tour on the way down to the beach! It's quite a large resort-33 acres-and very hilly-so you do need to call for transportation, but it arrives fast. The premium bungalow is right near the restaurant and one pool, so we were able to walk there with no problem. Both Quepos and Manuel Antonio offer quite a few food options as well. Being end of season, it wasn't crowded. We had a few rain showers, but nothing that lasted long. I'd recommend May as an ideal time to visit. ~Cheers! Paula T.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paula T
Hi Paula T.....thanks for the excellent review on your stay in one of our Premium Bungalows......(the large deck and jacuzzi are wonderful!).......so glad you enjoyed your birthday with us.....and happy to hear the monkeys showed up to help you celebrate.......thanks for the comments on Brian and Julien......your personal concierge team.......they really do work hard to make sure you have a great visit....I'm sorry the jet skis didn't work out, but glad you had fun with our kayaks.....(and they are free!)......thanks for booking with us directly and we'd love to have you back again!

Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a great place for an adventurous vacation.
The private beach is beautiful and the bungalows are spacious and well maintained.
The location is on the side of a mountain so get ready to do some serious walking to the beach and out of the compound, or, you can call for a friendly driver to take you anywhere- onsite or off.
The staff was warm and efficient and very helpful in picking excursions.
A wonderful place for our honeymoon- looking forward to a return trip!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Alphee......thanks for the wonderful review on your stay in one of our Tulemar Bungalows.......so glad you chose us for your Honeymoon......Tulemar is a great choice for couples.......lots to do.....like our 4 pools......the 2 hiking trails......the Tulemar Beach with free lounge chairs, umbrellas, kayaks, boogie boards, towel service and the Beach Bar and Grill or have your concierge arrange an exciting tour like zip lines or white water rafting.......or.....do nothing at all......a book under the palms at the beach or watching the sunset from the panoramic windows of your Bungalow......thanks for choosing us and for booking with us directly at tulemar.com!

Irvine, California
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Reservation Process:

I found Tulemar via TripAdvisor when I started to plan my Costa Rica adventure. It was rated number 1, so I immediately emailed over to check availability. Now I understand why it is #1! Alvaro helped me book our bungalow. He was never pushy or trying to pressure me into booking with Tulemar. What I really enjoyed about the booking process with Dave and Alvaro was that they continuously offered help and guidance about planning my trip to Costa Rica in general w/o overselling Tulemar. They were so friendly that I knew the accommodations would ultimately reflect the same tone.

I did everything over email and had extremely quick turn around response time. I am a woman of many questions, and Alvaro was a saint. Signing the contract was easy and secure and never felt like my personal information would at all be jeopardized.

Concierge:

Chris Madrigal was assigned to me to help facilitate planning the trip. He reached out to me with an email outlining all the things to do in MA, as well as a bunch of tips for traveling in Costa Rica in general. I wrote him back a very lengthy email explaining everything I had read about and asking what his recommendations would be. He would respond within moments to all bajillion emails I sent him. He booked our flights from San Jose to Quepos; arranged for a taxi to pick us up; arranged our activities (Quepos Canyoning and Manual Antonio Park Guided Tour w Mop) and transport; recommended restaurant; made us reservations; arranged our van ride back to Sa jose; booked our San Jose airport; called us taxis; and even brought us brownies one evening :)

He was extremely kind and caring and wanted to ensure that our stay was nothing short of perfect. We ran into him several times and was always available via phone. Chris was definitely a vital resource for us, and we appreciate how he went above and beyond.

Stay:

We booked a Tulemar Bungalow - #111. It was centrally located next to the pool. It was quiet and let us be in our own peaceful oasis. The website kept saying the bungalow was rustic and old; but to my surprise it was very well kept, clean, and felt updated and modern to me. The beds were comfortable, the shower and bathroom was nice, and the kitchen was stocked with appliances and silverware for days.

Grounds:

The grounds are a lush, well kept rainforest with breathtaking ocean views. We saw sloths, and monkeys, and ate fresh mangos from the trees. The beach is nice. The food in the grounds is not that great and its very pricey. I'd recommend the short walk up and out of Tulemar to the market across from Cafe Milagros for water bottles and snacks. There are plenty of restaurants that offer much more delicious food.

THE POOLS!! infinity pools overlooking lush rain forest and ocean. Very clean.

Overall:

Tulemar was a key factor in making our 6 days in Costa Rica wonderful. I'd recommend this place to everyone! In fact, I'm thinking this might be the location of our next family vacation.

Room Tip: Bungalow 111 was priced reasonably and was perfect for our stay.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sarah A
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Hi Sarah......thanks for your review on Tulemar.......and for describing the booking process.....(Alvaro still has a smile on his face!)........we know how difficult it is when trying to choose a place to stay in a foreign destination......so many "unknowns".......is it really as good as the reviews say......is it located in a convenient spot......how are the rooms......will there be someone to help me......we all work together to provide as much information as possible to make your decisions and your choice the right one.....so our staff and our web site have all the facts.......you can "chat" with us right on the website......or call us......or email......and we'll answer your questions.....and then once you book....you'll get a personal concierge.....like Chris.......he can handle all of the details.....from your transportation to Tulemar......to activities/tours......to dining options......massages in your Bungalow or even surf lessons......and regarding the Bungalows......thanks for your positive comments.......they really are unique.....and well cared for.....and fun.....kind of like a tree house.......and they look just like they do in the photos......we just want to make sure our guests don't arrive with unrealistic expectations......and they'll enjoy the experience......we have 3, 4 and 5 star accommodations in Tulemar......something for everyone........thanks for booking with us at tulemar.com and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is our second stay in Tulemar. We loved it as much as we did six years ago. Mauricio makes all your arrangements for dinners and any activities and they are all top notch. This is one of our best vacation spots ever!!!

• Stayed May 2014
Hi Cinda.......thanks for the review on your stay in Villa Kiskadee in Tulemar.......it was so much fun to see your family again.......so many of our guests are "repeats".......it may not be the next year......but they come back.....and usually bringing others with them.....just like you did.......that's what makes Tulemar such a great option......you can stay in a Bungalow for two.......or Casa Mirador for 5........or one of our premier, private villas for up to 10........our web site makes it easy to choose the one that is right for you.......and we'll give you a personal concierge......like Mauricio....to help with all the details......thanks for your review and we look forward to your return.....with Perry!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

My son and I stayed 3 nights at Tulemar. The rooms were beautiful and the views really nice. The staff was very attentive, especially Danny, our concierge. He made the arrangements for our tours and did a great job. I would stay there again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Hi Margaret B.....thanks for the great review on your stay in one of our Tulemar Bungalows.....we loved having you with us........those Bungalows really do have amazing ocean views.....they were the first properties built in Tulemar......so they have the best locations and views.....with windows all around........they are kind of quirky.....and very unique........like the Jetson's house if the Jetson's lived in Costa Rica......thanks for the comments on Danny, your personal concierge......another of our Tulemar Stars......always available to make sure your stay is enjoyable and easy.......thanks for booking with us and we hope to see you back again soon!