Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
Shana By The Beach, Hotel Residence & Spa(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$147
Parador Resort and Spa(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$214
US$198
Bookit.com
La Mariposa Hotel(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$176
US$171
  • Breakfast included
Si Como No Resort & Wildlife Refuge(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$201
  • Breakfast included
Las Cascadas The Falls(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$136
Gaia Hotel & Reserve(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$280
Hotel Vela Bar(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$140
  • Breakfast included
Makanda by the Sea(Manuel Antonio)
US$367
US$356
Orbitz.com
Tulemar Resort(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$241
Travelocity
US$549
US$533
2,695 results
All reviewscasa panoramavilla mot motcasa de frutasboogie boardsprivate beachbamboo villaconcierge chrisvilla cielitocosta ricazip liningprivate chefgarden housedinner reservationsbrowniepersonal conciergegrocery storesquirrel monkeys
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Words cannot describe how amazing Tulemar is! After exhaustive research, I found this very special resort and booked Casa Las Nubes for our family of four. The pictures do not do justice and the level of service is true 5 star. THE place to stay!!! Thank you Diego for assisting with all our vacation needs. Hope to return!

1  Thank whoya
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Hi se_solomon.....thanks for the excellent review on your stay in one of our Tulemar Bungalows......we loved having you and the family with us.....I loved your description of Tulemar too.....'like staying in an gorgeous combination zoo and botanical garden'......with 33 acres......from the ridgeline all the way down to the beach.....there is plenty of room for the animals to roam......and we get them all.....three types of monkeys....both types of sloths.....exotic birds and reptiles......plus the dense jungle that makes us all happy.....thanks for the comments on Chris.....your personal concierge.....always around to handle the details for you.....or showing up with a little surprise......and thanks for booking with us directly at tulemar.com and we hope to see you back with us again!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Our family (wife, I, and two teenage daughters) had an awesome visit to the Tulemar resort in Manual Antoino, Costa Rica. We visited on May 24-31, 2014. It was like staying in an gorgeous combination zoo and botanical garden. We saw much more wildlife at Tulemar than we did on the National Park Wildlife Tour. Our Concierge, Chris, made us feel at home with some drinks and fresh cut flowers when we arrived…and that was just the beginning. He was a big help making arrangements for all our dinners and excursions. He, and the fantastic staff, even showed us the sloths, Iguanas, and all three kinds of monkeys (whiteface, squirrel, and howler). We visited the National Park, did a Rappelling / Zip-Line tour, and went on Catamaran Snorkel Trip. We loved visiting all of the beautiful pools, and hiking trails on the property as well as Kayaking and Boogie boarding on the beautiful beach. Our maid, Sondra, was so sweet and had our unit clean as a pin each day. Dave in the office was always helpful in providing tips on local culture and picking great places for us to eat. We cannot wait to go back! Pura Vita!

Room Tip: We 4 loved the bungalow. Ours was #111 and we had lots of monkey sightings.
3  Thank se_solomon

Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I joined my parents and brother for a wonderful family vacation at Casa de Frutas Villa in Tulemar from May 24th-May31st. I cannot speak highly enough of the villa, the grounds, amenities, AND the staff. When we arrived we were given the warmest welcome from Dave (the owner), Mauricio, and the rest of the staff. The view from the villa is breathtaking and we fell in love with the open air concept. We saw more wildlife from our villa than we did visiting the national park and rainforests. The sights (and sounds) of the monkeys, birds, and sloths were exciting and peaceful!

We travel often and this was by far the best service we have received. The owner and staff take much pride in the property and area and shared excitement in our experience. They were very helpful and friendly and the "little" gestures and gifts did not go unnoticed! They made us feel like we were a part of their family.

There was nothing missing from this vacation and I cannot think of anything that could have been done better. I wish we could have stayed longer, but we will definitely be back! Thank you again for the memories!

2  Thank Alyssa P
TulemarDave, Owner at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Hi Alyssa P.....wow....thanks for the wonderful review on your stay in Casa de Frutas......you're family was so much fun and so active......we really enjoyed having you with us.....Mauricio was happy to handle all of the little details to make your stay relaxing and exciting too.....I'm so glad that you took advantage of having a personal chef come in to prepare the special anniversary dinner for your parents.....it really is a luxury (at a very affordable price).....Casa de Frutas is one of our most unique villas and we're so happy that you selected it......can't wait to have you back with us.....thanks for booking with us at tulemar.com.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Casa de Frutas has it all - luxurious accommodations with a breathtakingly gorgeous panoramic view of the ocean, jungle, and wildlife - a complete package! It was the perfect place to celebrate our 29th anniversary with our adult children; each having their own private suite. Dave’s insight when building this open-air concept home was genius. What makes this property even more special are the people who work to make your stay memorable– a special thanks to Dave, Mauricio, and staff for taking care of our every need and for the special surprises throughout the week that made us feel so special. We highly recommend having at least one meal prepared by the fantastic chefs. So glad to have found this gem! Serenity + luxury = Casa de Frutas! We will be back.

1  Thank Janet B

Hi Janet B.....thank you so much for the wonderful review and comments on Casa de Frutas.....one of our premier, private villas in Tulemar......yes, this is my villa.....i designed and built it in the Bali Modern style......traveled to Bali to study the architecture and brought a container of furnishings, stone pieces and light fixtures back.....meant to be my private residence.....I added many special features....the open air living, dining and kitchen areas are one of the most spectacular, dramatic and popular features..,,living in a house with no walls (facing the ocean) has to be experienced........the bedrooms are all air conditioned....... once I finished the villa....I decided to include it with our rentals......(I live in a Bungalow)......the location in Tulemar.....the panoramic ocean views.....the wildlife visits.....and especially the staff with their high level of service and all of their little surprises through out the week make it a very unique experience.....(check out our web site at tulemar.com to see a few of the famous guests that have stayed in Casa de Frutas!)....we loved having your family with us.....they were a delight......and you did such a great job planning this trip......I want you to move to Costa Rica and be one of our reservation agents or concierges.....thanks, again for staying with us and writing the review and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Tulemar from May 20-28 and from the initial planning stages of the trip to the end, it was a delight. I teared up as we left the resort last Wednesday...definitely did not want to leave!!! We fell in love with the resort, the people, and the experience. I booked this location pretty much blind and kept my fingers crossed prior to arrival that it was good. It surpassed all expectations and we will definitely be returning there. Truly, from the bottom of my heart, staying at Tulemar was key in making this trip to Costa Rica special and memorable for me and my boyfriend. We are so thankful to have stayed here and experienced what we did.

As I was attempting to plan the trip, Alvaro was my first point of contact. He was very helpful and was very easy to work with in regards to the dates and locations to stay. I must have sent him 15 different emails in the beginning trying to get everything worked out. :) Once things were finally booked, Ashley took over from there as our personal concierge. Ashley was an absolute godsend. She answered any and every question I had prior to the trip and during. She was so sweet and EXTREMELY helpful. She took care of the booking of the tours for us and upon arrival, it was so nice to know that everything was taken care of. She made herself available at all hours and we thought she was great. We couldn't have asked for better service from her. Kudos to you Ashley!

Tulemar offered a private shuttle from the airport for $160 (US) and we took advantage of this. Not sure if that is a bit high in comparison to other modes of transportation from the airport, but in all reality, it was worth it for us. It took all of the guess work out of it. Our driver was awesome. He was right there as we walked out of the airport door. He brought a cooler and we stopped at a store along the way and loaded it up with ice and Imperial. Good times for sure. He stopped a couple of spots along the way for us to get out, see alligators, use the bathroom, etc.

Once we arrived at the resort, Ashley greeted us. Again, she was awesome. She took us to Bungalow 116 and..holy crap, we were so happy. Amazing. It was close to the restaurant and bar, yet not so close as to be disturbed. Full height windows around the entire bungalow, an amazing view, a mini fridge and kitchenette, a huge bathroom...it had everything we needed. The view at any time of day was breathtaking. It felt like we were in a treehouse when we looked out the windows because when we looked down, all we could see was the lush green trees and plants. It took my breath away. It was perfect for us and when we return, I'd stay there again in an instant. In fact, I'll try to request it. Oh, I can't find the words to describe how much we loved it. Trust me when I say it was freaking incredible. :)

The beach is a nice additional amenity. I agree with other reviews that swim shoes are a good idea...very rocky at times and if you aren't paying attention, you get a jab right in the bottom of your feet. No big deal though...walking gingerly over the rocks is also an option...it is the ocean after all. There is a small bar and many places to relax there. They offer boogie boards and kayaks free of charge which are fun to mess around with. My only less than positive review here is that the boards were given out seemingly without regard for the conditions in the water or the people asking for them. I understand about liability and such, but still, it wasn't the most responsible action. One day when it was high tide, the waves got big and were breaking right on the shore. We witnessed boogie boards being given to a father and son who had absolutely no business being in the water with them at that time. Honestly, the father and especially his young son were lucky they didn't get hurt. Again, whether the liability falls with the resort or the parent, if you decide to get a boogie board, make sure you have knowledge of the ocean and how to use the boards in all conditions.

There are a couple of trails by the beach that are definitely worth trekking on if you have the time. Walking on trails through a jungle like setting overlooking the ocean in Costa Rica...it doesn't get much better than that.

The overall property was massive. Thank goodness for shuttles that are available all over the resort. But, if you want a good workout, hiking up and down the hills there is the way to do it. Don't do like I did and attempt to do it wearing sandals walking up that hill from the beach...my feet were less than pleased. :) Wear shoes and get ready for a good thigh burn! Everywhere on the property was breathtakingly beautiful. So green and well maintained. The restaurant/bar was close to our bungalow and we made a few stops there. :) The pool at the restaurant was a great perk and a nice way to chill after a day of activity. One morning, monkeys were playing in the trees outside the restaurant. Very cool. The sunset from the pool area was beautiful. If you go to the bar, my advice is to pay attention to the prices of the drinks...my boyfriend had 3 Jack and Cokes and the total was $47. Live and learn, no big thing. That said, the other mixed drinks were about $9 and for the location and the taste, they were worth it. We loved the Pura Vida drink...yummy!

I'm going to take a detour here to tell a bit more about the staff...

Daniella was our main bartender. We liked her from the second we met her. She had a great personality and always had a smile on her face and greeted us warmly every time. She really made a sincere attempt to get to know my boyfriend Josh and myself. That kind of personal attention and connection is key in providing quality customer service. Daniella is truly an asset to the Tulemar resort. Pura vida Daniella.

Luis was our shuttle driver the majority of the time. We never saw him without a smile on his face. Such a great guy...funny, helpful. We thought he was awesome and the way he can manuever that shuttle van was impressive. :) Danny was another driver that we loved. Much like Luis, his lively personality and smile made him another one of our favorites. Danny was sometimes at the front desk as well and always willing to help out at a moments notice. Both Danny and Luis are two valuable members of the Tulemar team for sure. Their personalities and willingness to help are just a couple of the reasons we enjoyed them so much.

We enjoyed all of the staff that we interacted with. Xavier was very polite and even went out of his way to help us book a parasailing trip. Alberto was also great. He was always very cordial and made my "cafe con mucho leche" perfect every time. :) Arlin was another lively personality there at the resort...smiled and laughed a lot. My boyfriend thought he was great. Eric was yet another server we had there and, like the others, was awesome. He helped me with my broken spanish and he had a very nice disposition. There are a few others there whose faces I can see clearly, but whose names I can't remember right now. Please know that we thought all the staff at Tulemar were great and they helped to make our time at Tulemar that much more entertaining and memorable.

The restaurants around the area are fantastic and within walking distance. If we had more time and money and didn't care about our waistlines, we would have visited all of them three times. We LOVED Barba Roja. The manager and staff there are amazing. We went back 3 times and felt like we were more than well taken care of every time. One of the waiters, Steven, even took us on a drive one day to Dominical and a waterfall just because he wanted to show us more of Costa Rica. Another favorite restaurant was Agua Azul. Food was tasty and the view is nice. Cafe Milagro was a nice little stop to chill and have a nice cup of coffee.

As far as the excursions are concerned, Ashley (thank you to her again) helped us book ziplining (Quepo Canyoning), a sailboat tour (Sunset Sails - not super impressed but made for a good story), and white water rafting (Amigos del Rio). Hands down, rafting was the most fun we had on a tour while there. It was great that our tours were already booked when we got there. It was so good to be at Tulemar and not have to worry about scrambling to find/book things when there. Of course, it is still very easy to book things on the fly but having your concierge do the work for you is great. Plus, every tour picked us up in a shuttle right outside our door and fed us lunch. We took a taxi to the main beach in Manuel Antonio one day, hung out, and went parasailing. Tulemar was in a decent location for us to accomplish all we had wanted to do. We would have done more but we ran out of time.

I can't express in words how much we loved Tulemar. It was probably the best place we've stayed in while on a vacation. I do not believe that we would have had the same amazing Costa Rica experience if we hadn't stayed at Tulemar. It is truly a beautiful resort with a friendly and helpful staff. Remember how I said I teared up when we left?! There is a reason...the place warmed our hearts and we are counting the days and saving up the dollars until we return. Our heartfelt thanks to all the staff there for making our trip one we will never forget.

Kim and Josh
Orange, California

Room Tip: We loved Bungalow 116. Loved it, loved it, loved it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kim R

Hi Kim R......wow....thanks for the amazing and detailed review......we loved reading it.....I can't believe ALL of the names you remembered.....from Alvaro to Ashley to Daniella and all the servers at the restaurant.....and your comments on Bungalow #116 and the amazing ocean views......when Ashley returned from seeing you off she had a tear in her eye....I asked what was wrong and she replied "Kim was crying".......well....Ashley too.....we loved having you with us and Alvaro will be ready to handle your booking again.....just give us a call or chat or email.....thanks, again!