“Fantastic, Amazing, Wonderful!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tulemar Bungalows & Villas

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
New Orleans, LA
“Fantastic, Amazing, Wonderful!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We just left Tulemar yesterday, and my daughters woke up this morning and told me that they were sad to not be there. Tulemar is a lovely "resort" in an ideal location. It is pricey, but it's hard to argue with the cost when guests have their own private beach, restaurants within walking distance, as well as on property, 3 pools, and a concierge dedicated to residents.

Our 2-bedroom villa was beautiful, well-appointed, and clean. The view was spectacular. The grounds of this property are beautiful and certainly add to the magical feeling of being there. Our villa also had an electric grill, which we used to cook fresh snapper, a hot tub, and a lovely dining table and seating area on the balcony. We made breakfast and lunch daily, and dined out for dinner.

The beach has kayaks, boogie boards, and beach toys for kids. The shuttle to and from the beach was easy to use and the drivers were friendly, knowledgeable, and all-around great.

Ashley, our concierge, made many arrangements for us including transport and tours. She happily assisted with our other destinations within CR as well. Upon our arrival, Chris took over. He was knowledgeable, charming, and pleased to assist with whatever we needed. We owe him many thanks!!!

Housekeeping did a great job. Our villa was spotless each day when we returned. Dishes left in the sink were either in the dishwasher clean, or clean dishes were put away. The floors were without sand. I was impressed.

We did the mangrove boat tour with our kids and we all loved it. Chris made the arrangements when our plans changed due to World Cup game scheduling-we didn't want to miss the CR or US games! The tour was well done. We also did a guided tour of Manuel Antonio park. This was fun and interesting, but I really loved our guided hikes in the Monteverde area better. However, we did get to see several species of monkeys and insects. There is one main trail and several groups with guides walking along at the same time. This diminished our experience a bit. The beach was nice, but I liked the one at Tulemar just as much. Our friends went white water rafting here and loved it.

It is a 2.5-3 hour drive on paved roads to San Jose. I recommend making this your first stop before moving on to other parts of the country. It's a nice way to transition from the hustle and bustle of everyday life to vacation. We stayed for 5 nights, but I would have enjoyed 1 more night. I recommend 5-7 days depending on how much time you have. Be sure to see other parts of the country too. It's a really diverse land.

Room Tip: I can't imagine a bad accommodation here, so book what is in your budget and enjoy!
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lkn123
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Hi lkn123.....thanks for the great review on your stay in Casa del Mar in Tulemar.....one of our 2 Bedroom Premium Villas......so glad your family enjoyed their stay......thanks for the kind words about Ashley and Chris......your personal concierge team......they really can make the trip easy and fun.....(yes, we can assist with your transportation arrangements throughout your trip in Costa Rica).......I also appreciate your comments on the length of stay....so many guests ask "are 3 days too many?"....."no"......a week's stay is really perfect......and you'll still wish you had more time......there are so many things to do in Manuel Antonio.....our departing guests often tell us "we'll be back next year and we're not leaving the resort-we want to enjoy our villa, the Tulemar Beach, the trails and just relax!".......thank you so much for booking with us directly at tulemar.com and we look forward to your return!

Tulemar Dave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
Chanhassen, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We just got back from the best vacation ever. Our trip to Costa Rica and our stay at the Buena Visa bungalow was fantastic! We stayed in 407 which was perfect for us...two families and me (Gramma) Our trip was arranged online with Julien...he also booked our zip line, waterfall safari and white water rafting. All of these activities are on their website and they were all awesome. After each trip the kids would come back raving about the guides! Our concierge while we were there was Andreas who also made sure we were taken care of. Everyone was very friendly! We ate out once or walked to the market but the best food was right at Tulemar! With 3 teenagers and a ten year old they were never bored! Even stayed off their phones and iPods!
Initially we were a little worried about traveling in June but the weather was great..never very hot. Each morning it was clear or slightly overcast and in the late afternoon it rained but we had fun swimming in rain. We thought there was going to be a problem with bugs but there were none. It was not crowded as I think it is during our winter months.
To our delight there was a resident sloth just below us! Also large iguanas in the trees. By the pool were lots of monkeys.
I would highly recommend Tulemar and hope to get the chance to return!

Room Tip: Rooms by the family pool have the most monkeys.
1 Thank Jane G
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Hi Jane G....thanks for the great review on your stay in one of our 3 Bedroom Premium Villas in Tulemar......we loved having you with us....and for your comments on Julien.....your on line concierge who helped plan all the details of your trip before you even arrived...Julien is great at suggesting just the right tour/activity that is right for your family....from very active....to mild...or maybe just a massage at the villa...he knows the best guides too......and to Andres.....your personal concierge at the resort.....who makes sure everyone has what they need for a fun stay......thanks for booking with us at tulemar.com and we'd love to have you back agaiin!

pleasanton, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just returned from one week in Tulemar in Costa Rica which was recommended - separately - by both a friend and family member. Our family including two boys ages 9 and 11 stayed in bungalow 112 which was ideal, at the end of a path, private and nestled amidst the foliage. I was a little concerned that we would feel "locked in" with no lanai or patio but there are large windows on most sides that slide open - screens and all - and make you feel like you are actually outdoors.The whole experience was phenomenal. I have never had such great customer service during the booking process. Alvaro was fantastic and patiently answered questions and made recommendations via live chat and email. Live chat was the way to go for instant answers. He provided recommendations for ziplining and whitewater rafting for our active family which turned out to be right on. We LOVED it. While we are from the Bay Area in California we opted to fly direct/non-stop (Delta) from LA (red eye) to cut down on major travel time with two boys in tow. Highly recommend taking Sensa puddle jumper (20 minute flight also arranged through Alvaro) if you are pressed for time or just don't want to have to take a shuttle which ends up being 2-3 additional hours to the resort from San Jose. The cost was not that much more all things considered and we arrived in Quepos by 9 a.m. Totally worth it to us. When we arrived very early Alvaro had arranged for a taxi to take us to Tulemar a quick 15 minute ride. We were greeted by our concierge Andres who was such a class act and so helpful throughout our stay. Our bungalow was not ready but they held our bags, we changed into swimsuits and they gave us a tour of the property providing stops along the way to hop out and view wildlife - sloth right away. On site restaurant was convenient for a couple meals and a short walk from our bungalow but highly recommend venturing out a short walk just outside the gates. Note: the shuttle van which is on demand throughout the day and will only take you to the gates and you will need to walk or take a cab - which was unnecessary in our case. Recommend stocking up on a few groceries that you can get at the store a short walk away. We found having basics like snacks, cereal,eggs, PB & J makings, bottled water and adult beverage makings allowed us to enjoy the early mornings and afternoon down time without having to run out for food. You can get food delivered to your bungalow but we never opted to do so. Sun rise was VERY early so we were mostly up by 5 - 6 a.m. This was not a sit on the beach and bake vacation. It rained every day but mostly in the afternoon/early evening. It was warm and of course didn't stop us at all. Bungalow was equipped with large golf umbrellas that you should remember to bring to dinner if walking and clouds overhead and you don't want to get wet. Was a lot cooler than we expected and we had cloud cover most day except our last which was sunny and hot. We didn't have any issue with insects and left with only a few bites. So TONS of wildlife on site and on the resorts short hiking paths South Playa which has a small waterfall and other near the beach. Beach was great - plenty of loungers and shade beneath trees. Beware of trying to boogie board at high tide. People were getting pummeled. Low tide is better but sometimes break close to shore so a quick basic reminder in how the ocean works is essential for kids - and adults too.... My son was stung by jellyfish two days in a row as were several others. They had ammonia spray and cortisone cream on hand that helped. We were told that jellyfish are not uncommon and are more prevalent after large storms - we had two major lightening storms - and at low tide. Kind of put a damper on our beach time at the end of our trip but the beginning boogie boarding at low tide was great and we all had a great time - no incidents. We walked (a steep walk as many have noted) to the beach several times and if we were tired called the shuttle. It was great to have that option. We saw soo much wildlife from howler monkeys, white faced monkeys, sloths, iguana, one (non poisonous) snake, porcupine, toucans and loads of other birds, a Guinea pig like creature - name escapes me. Advise to "Look Up" and walk the property where you can because adventure and wildlife are yours for the viewing. The Canopy Safari zip line is a must do and the whitewater rafting was awesome and exhilarating but safe and fun for all levels - and levels of courage. We also enjoyed meeting friends and kids playing at the Family pool. Wish we would have come across the pool at the Villas I believe sooner as that was an amazing oasis. I came upon the "spa" and adult pool while wondering around looking for my family in a rain storm. Spa is really a one room open air curtained setting where it looked like two people could get a massage at once. Eating out was pricier than I expected with most meals out for our family costing between $80 - $100 ++. We ate only in Manual Antonio at Barba Rojas and also the El Patio de Cafe Milagro which had yumtastic banana cake and breakfast as well as a good spot for dinner. Barba Rojas my family LOVED for dinner and we went back twice. The excursions each included traditional CR fare - black beans mixed with rice, chicken, fried plantains. I have never seen my kids eat so well as they did in CR - loved it. Shockingly un-picky! Highly recommend bringing water shoes of some sort for hiking in muddy-ish trails and also for ziplining and whitewater rafting. Beach is also rocky when tide way out. While I went on this vacation to unplug my children were happy to learn there was wireless - though spotty at times - so they could keep connected to their clash of clans game and buddies. Had to seek medical treatment at the pharmacia on the way to the airport which the staff also helped arrange. We always felt safe walking around Manuel Antonio day and night - safer than when we have traveled to Mexico. I know this is soooo long but I just can't say enough about what a wonderful, different, amazing vacation we had. We have been many places as a couple and to Mexico three times with kids as well as several domestic trips and have never experienced anything like it. I would highly recommend if you a looking for a lush retreat, unusual, getaway in nature, active, beautiful setting. Worth every penny! Will upload pictures when I can.

Room Tip: Would steer clear from bungalows very close to the restaurant or family pool if you are looking for...
4 Thank senorablanco
Hi Senorablanco.....wow....what an amazing review.....thank you.......so much information.....and so useful when people are looking for the right place to stay......thanks for your comments on Alvaro....your on line concierge.....who helped arranged your trip from accommodations to transportation to tours/activities before you even arrived.....and yes....people love our "live chat"....right on the web site....to quickly answer your questions.....about everything.....to Andres.....your concierge who handled your stay while in the resort.....thanks again for the review and for booking with us at tulemar.com! Hope to see you back again!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

My fiance and I stayed here during the second week of June 2014 and it was perfect. Manuel Antonio is a bit of a trek from the airport (3 hour drive) but it's worth it as it felt like entering a movie set. The color saturation went up to the point of ridiculous - the pictures I took were so rich people kept asking me if I photoshoped them. Nope- this place is simply that gorgeous.

As far as the hotel- It is a hidden gem of Manuel Antonio. First of all, you don't have a hotel room, you have a private bungalow with 270 degree view of the beach (and the rest of the jungle - full 360 windows) with resort style full service for anything. We stayed in the Monkey Villa, and it lived up to its name. There are three types of monkeys on the property - white faced, howler, and squirrel monkeys (my favorite). And yes they will come down to the balcony . Of and of course the sloths, toucans and countless tropical birds, iguanas, lizards, what have you. Another reviewer said that they saw more animals outside their window than on the paid tour in the National Park and I have to agree. This resort is inside the park, so yes, we saw more animals and birds from our balcony that anywhere else in Manuel Antonio.

Now for the hotel itself: this is about as fancy a place as you can imagine. Not only do you get a personal concierge that is there to help you with literally anything, but the private beach with the bar on the beach, the private shuttles, and the private chef - should you choose to indulge as we did- make the stay there a truly luxurious experience. I can't say enough about our concierge Michael. The gentleman was impeccably professional and did his utmost to take care of all of our needs and make our stay perfect. Whatever you may need, Michael was there to help, pretty much on call 24 hours a day. (As I was happy to discover needing something late at night). He was able to not only take care of all room and resort needs, provide information, recommend activities, but did all the bookings (at no cost mind you) as well as the cancellations, if need be. We ended up having to cancel last minute a rafting trip and some other activities and Michael took care of everything almost instantaneously with no cost to us. And of course there is the myriad of little touches that are hard to describe but which only a great concierge will know how to execute that Michael did during the entire stay that put the final icing on the level of service, I only wish other hotels I've been to were as attentive to their guests. In short, Michael made our stay effortless. Ask for him!

Last but not least, the chef Marlon. He is the head chef of the on-site restaurant, but you can book him do private meals at your residence! And boy it is worth it. Whatever else you do, I can't stress enough that you should book Marlon for at least one night. Having a four-star meal served to you amid a picturesque sunset view overlooking the private bay is a memory for the books. My advice is to let Marlon pair your wine. He picks out all the ingredients personally and was able to find both white and red pairings that were heavenly. A small aside - my fiance is celiac so traveling is always hard for us due to the ever present threat of gluten contamination. Even 4-star restaurants are usually dangerous, despite their best of assurances, as cross-contamination in the kitchen is a real problem to get around. Well, Marlon was able to cater to our special dietary needs without issue and we got to enjoy (finally) delicious and wide-ranging cuisine without worrying about having an allergic reaction. All in all, I am very grateful to Marlon.

One side note- this is a place mostly visited by families with kids, although remarkably the kids were all very well behaved. This isn't a negative by any means, just be aware that this is a resort to relax, not to dance by the pool. You can, as there are at least four pools, it's just not that kind of vibe.

tldr: garden of Eden location, best hotel in Manuel Antonio, private beach w/ bar, private concierge, private chef, animals and more animals on property, monkeys on the balcony, just amazing.

Room Tip: The hotel is built into a hill on a beach. Further down toward beach is better. Bungalows with numbe...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alec T
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Hi Alec T....we loved having you and your wife with us in Tulemar.....thanks for the amazing review......the One Bedroom Select Villa was a great choice for the two of you.....separate bedroom with a king bed.....living/dining/kitchen.....and that large balcony with a panoramic ocean view.....so glad you took advantage of our private chef services......Marlon is a very skilled chef and it really is a treat to have him prepare meals right in your villa......(we can arrange a private chef for one special dinner or for every meal!).......thanks for the comments on Michael.....your personal concierge......he really wants all of his guests to enjoy their time with us and he can handle all of the details for you......from your tours/activities.....to dining options......to those special needs that sometime arise......and yes.....Tulemar has an abundance of wildlife......we are not actually in the Manuel Antonio National Park.....but you'd never know that by looking at your surroundings......33 acres of jungle with lots of room for the wildlife to roam.....and you are right.....Tulemar is not a resort with dancing by the pool until late hours.....and it's not a resort just for families either.....it is a resort for relaxing.....for enjoying the wildlife.....and the Tulemar Beach......for amazing ocean views......great sunsets......quiet evenings.......and a great base to enjoy all of the local activities.....from zip lines to white water rafting to surf lessons......thanks for booking with us directly at tulemar.com and we hope to see you back again soon!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

My husband, 2 daughters, 18 & 16 & I Just returned 2 days ago from a week long visit to Tulemar. None of us wanted to leave!! We stayed at Casa de las Flores for the first 2 nights & then Villa Cileto for 5 nights. Our first morning we were awoken to the eerie sound of howler monkeys in the trees around our bungalow. It was amazing & so exciting & began a week long pattern for us of getting up very early every morning to drink Cafe Milagro coffee on our beautiful balcony & listen to the jungle come alive! During our stay in CR we saw howler monkeys, a sloth & her baby, iguanas, lizards, geckos, lots of tropical birds including a toucan & 2 Scarlett Macaws, colorful frogs & most exciting of all was the visit we had one afternoon of about a dozen white faced monkeys on & all around our balcony!
We couldn't have asked for more from Tulemar, as far as the beauty of the property. We so enjoyed walking down the steep roads to the beach - this is the best way to see animals & appreciate the beautiful variety of the trees & flowers. The beach is beautiful & the earlier you get there, the better because you'll feel like you have your very own private piece of paradise! As you enter the water on the beach it's quite rocky, but once you get past that it's fine - I would've brought swim shoes had I known & would definitely bring them for little ones if I still had them! Towels, boogie boards & kayaks are all available for you to use & there is a full bar & a makeshift restaurant too, that has great food! The beach staff were very friendly & will happily call the van for you when your ready to leave & drop you back at your bungalow. If you're up for a great workout though, walk back up the hill or on one of the nature trails!! My husband did this everyday & once had a mango thrown at him by a white faced monkey & a stick thrown at him by a howler monkey - our girls & I found this extremely amusing!!!
On the way up we stopped to have a drink at the bar & see the great bar staff & our favorite bartender, Daniella. We were lucky enough to be there for many World Cup games, including Costa Rica & the US & had a blast at the bar watching games with the bar staff & other guests.
Dave & all of the staff at Tulemar went out of their way to make us feel special & like we were their most important guest - especially Chris, our concierge for the week. Chris did every thing we asked of him & so much more! He took care of booking all of our activities & dinner reservations & even took us grocery shopping when we first arrived! He is very helpful & attentive & like almost every Costa Rican we met, very proud & knowledgeable about his country! He is pura vida :)
We will definitely visit Tulemar again. It was a fantastic trip & we loved all of the activities we did too, especially zip lining at Quepos Canyoning & whitewater rafting with Fabian & staff at Amigos Del Rio. I was terrified to do both, but so glad I didn't let my fear stop me!
The only negative thing I could say at all is about the airport when you leave San Jose. It's very crowded and confusing and you have to get in a long line to pay exit taxes of $29 pp before you can check in for your flight, but nobody tells you what to do. We got to the airport two hours before our flight and just barely made it because of the crowds & chaos. I'm sure leaving mid-day on a Saturday didn't help and possibly other times wouldn't be as stressful & busy.
Other than that though, we loved every minute of our trip. Thanks again to Dave, Chris & all the staff at Tulemar for giving us such a wonderful first time Costa Rican experience!!

Pura Vida!
Cathy, The Woodlands, TX

P.S. On the way from the airport in San Jose make sure you stop to look at the crocodiles and buy fresh tropical fruit from the roadside stands. :)

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Cathy A
Hi Cathy A.....thanks for the wonderful review on your stay in two of our villas.....Casa de las Flores and Villa Cielito......so glad you enjoyed your time with us.....thanks for the comments about walking down to our beach.....I agree......if you want to enjoy nature and have a chance to see the most wildlife.....walk down.....it's only 5-10 minutes.....downhill.....and it's an amazing trek.....you can always take the resort shuttle back up.....and thanks for the comments on your personal concierge......Chris.....one of our Tulemar stars......we loved having your family with us and hope to see you back again soon!

New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed here in March of 2014. I don't remember what bungalow we stayed in, but it was great! We had a one-bedroom bungalow with a general seating area/kitchen. We were steps away from one of the pools overlooking the ocean. Kids loved the Wi-fi access everywhere. Monkeys came through the property on two mornings and were a delight.

Staff is friendly and helpful. Though we usually try to get exercise, we did get driven down to the beach because the property is very steep. Everyone was lovely.

Location is great - right on the main drag going to Manuel Antonio, so you can walk to several restaurants and the Super Joseth (convenience store).

If you are looking for a traditional beach resort, I'll say that the beach area is somewhat small and is not as pretty as the beaches at the national park. But it is in a cove and was certainly serviceable for us.

We would stay at the resort again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank mrsstinger
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Hi mrsstinger.....thanks for the great review on your stay in one of our Tulemar Bungalows.....we're so glad you enjoyed your time with us.....the Bungalows are perfect for 1-4 guests......separate bedroom with 2 queen beds......living/dining/small kitchenette......windows all around......amazing ocean views......with a rustic, tropical jungle type of design.....kind of like staying in a tree house....with AC......plus all of the amenities of Tulemar.....including the Tulemar Beach....with free lounge chairs....umbrellas.....kayaks.....boogie boards......towel service.....and the beach bar/grill that you just sign to your room......thanks for booking with us directly at tulemar.com.....we'd love to have you back again!

Southlake, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

It was unanimous among our family of 5- Tulemar sets the bar high for vacation destinations. We loved everything from the quiet picturesque surroundings (sans Howler Monkeys), attentive service and of course the incredible Casa de Frutas. Tulemar is truly like living inside a zoo- it's an experience in itself to sit and witness all the wildlife in it's natural habitat. The locals are kind, inviting and ready to share their beautiful country with visitors.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Carolyn T
Hi Carolyn T......thanks for the excellent review on your stay in Casa de Frutas.....one of our premier, private villas......we loved having you and your family with us.....Casa de Frutas really was a great choice for your family.....three suites.....each with amazing ocean views.....and plenty of space for everyone....private pool....luxury, design, ambiance......plus the services of Mauricio....your personal concierge....to handle all of the details.....and all of the amenities of Tulemar.....our beach.....the hiking trails.....the restaurant.....4 resort pools.....and our location....right in the heart of Manuel Antonio.....thanks for booking with us directly at tulemar.com and we hope to see you back again!