“First trip to CR set the bar really high”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manuel Antonio
Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
Ranked #1 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I selected Tulemar based on the reviews I read here; even though I still had my doubts and thought maybe they sounded too good to be true.

What can I say, this place is amazing. I literally just got back yesterday and could not wait to talk about it. The resort is beautiful, immaculately kept, and the service is outstanding. The pictures on the website don't do them justice. You'll pretty much have breathtaking views no matter where you go on the property - your room, the pool, the restaurant, etc. I traveled with my 60-yr old mom and my 15-year old niece, and all 3 generations were thoroughly pleased.

We stayed in one of the bungalows, which have 360 views yet still maintain privacy. They are adorable, really makes you feel like you're in a big tree house, with all the comforts of home. Our bungalow didn't include a stove, which was fine since we ate out every meal, but we still had a fridge for drinks and dishes along with a toaster, microwave, and coffee maker for afternoon & midnight snacking. The maid service is outstanding, kept the place neat, even with a teenager staying there.

The private beach is beautiful! Getting there can be a challenge if you're not into walking hills but the shuttle is always available and the drivers are always so friendly and happy to help. If walking the hill isn't enough for you, the property has 2 hiking trails that provided good exercise and great scenery; one of the trails leads you to a beautiful waterfall, which was a nice surprise.

My concierge was Chris, and he was awesome. The first night he took the time to drive me to the store to get some drinks and snacks for my family. He checked in on me frequently and was very helpful in recommending things to do and places to eat. He helped me with everything from arranging transportation to/from the airport to making dinner reservations for us. He even set up a nice surprise for my family on our last night out. This was truly first-class service. The rest of the property staff is so friendly and attentive, what a great group of people!

I will definitely be going back to Costa Rica in the future. Regardless of which area I visit, I will make sure to include a couple of nights back in Tulemar. They really raised the bar on accommodations and service, so I can only hope that other "luxury" resorts can live up to the high standards that Tulemar sets for its guests. Pura vida, indeed!

3  Thank SrtaLola
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Hi SrtaLola.....yes....the reviews are true...lol.....I'm sure many people wonder the same thing.....thank you so much for taking the time to post yours......so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our Bungalows.....they really are like staying in a treehouse....with all the comforts of home...a bedroom with 2 queen beds.....living/dining/kitchenette (they do have a 2 burner stove-I hope you did see that?)....glass all the way around with great ocean and jungle views....with a jungle/tropical/rustic feel.......thanks for your comments too on Chris....your personal concierge.....and one of our Tulemar Stars.....he really works hard to make sure all of his guests enjoy their time with us.....we appreciate you booking with us directly on our web site and hope to see you back again soon!

Tulemar Dave

Write a ReviewReviews (2,514)

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I can not say enough about this property and the staff. The beach and views are some of the best in Costa Rica. Our house manager Diego's recommendations were all top notch and he never lead us wrong, from surf lessons to restaurants to shopping, who knew where to go and what to avoid.

The environment here is very natural and we enjoyed the monkeys, sloths and variety of birds immensely.

There were never more then about 20 people or so at the private beach.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Hi Adam A....thanks for the great review on your stay in Nido de Gansos.....one of our premier, private villas.......and a wonderful choice for nature lovers.....the social areas of this villa are on the third floor....at treetop level....and the birds, monkeys and sloths are your neighbors.....and you have ocean views.......plus you have the personal concierge services of Team Diego......to handle all of the details.....thanks for booking with us at tulemar.com.....the only place to book Nido de Gansos.....we'd love to have you back with us again!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I have NOTHING bad to say about this hotel. It is very unique, beautiful, and family friendly! By the main pool and restraunt/bar area we saw A LOT of sloths! It was super cool! Down by the beach we saw a monkey literally on the beach bar just hanging out. Our concierge was great! We had to miss a tour because one of our travelers was unable to participate and he scheduled the one on the next day, it was great! They are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are beautiful and include DVD players so you can bring movies and watch them, super cool! This was our best hotel experience probably ever. Next time we will only stay at this hotel, it is just so great and unique we really wish we stayed more nights here!

2  Thank Kelly P

Hi Kelly P.....thanks for the great review on your stay in Tulemar....we loved having you with us.....yes....we do have lots of wildlife......all three types of monkeys.....both types of sloths......exotic birds and reptiles.....often just hanging around.....by the pools....or the beach.....on the hiking trails....along the roads....or around your bungalow/villa......it's just one of the things that make Tulemar so special.....thank you so much for booking with us directly.....and we hope to have you back again.....by the way I'm back in California this week on vacation and heading to Santa Cruz/Monterrey for a few days-I love your area too!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My family (my husband, me and our two sons, ages 14 and 11) ended our week-long vacation in Costa Rica with a 3 night stay at Casa Cielito at Tulemar. As soon as we opened the door to the Villa we were immediately wishing we had booked it for longer! The property is quite possibly the most gorgeous place we have ever stayed. The view is absolutely spectacular from all of the roooms - although we spent most of our time on the balcony (including eating all of our dinners there - because why go out and miss the sunset??). The casa is well furnished - gourmet kitchen, jacuzzi on the balcony, smart TV, luxury bedding, washer/dryer, etc. And the indoor/outdoor showers were fantastic!

Chris, our concierge, was great. He (and Julien) answered all of my zillions of questions with patience as I was planning the trip. Chris set up a couple of activities for us (Canopy Safari ziplines - BIG thumbs up, highlight of our trip - and horseback riding with Brisas del Nara - which was OK, but not great). We did have one small glitch with the planning of the zip line but it wasn't major.

Chris also gave us a tour of the grounds when we arrived, checked in with us daily, and even brought us a plate of warm brownies that were delicious. Chris also set us up with private chef Jose and his assistant Rudy for a gourmet dinner for our last night. That was a big splurge for us but well worth it. The food was delicious and the service was perfect. My only wish is that we had thought to do it on the first night so we could have eaten the leftovers instead of leaving that all behind when we checked out.

The grounds are incredible. We saw more wildlife here than anywhere else on our trip. Sloths, monkeys, lizards, iguanas, birds and butterflies. The landscaping is lush and the flowers are bright and beautiful. We loved the pools and the beach is even nicer than Manuel Antonio - which is saying something! We just wished we had more time to chill there to enjoy the beach.

The location is perfect - between Manuel Antonio beach and Quepos. There are restaurants and grocery stores within walking distance. We loved El Avion restaurant with its beautiful view and surprisingly great food.

If you stay at Tulemar, be sure to plan for enough time to just relax and enjoy. It is a wonderful place to stay, and the service is top notch. We can't wait to go back and visit again!

Reading other reviews for here and other places in Costa Rica, I know that people can be concerned about safety. But I have to say we experienced nothing but wonderful, friendly, warm people and we never felt unsafe. That said, we also were careful - we locked up valuables when we were out of the house, didn't leave anything in plain view in the car, and someone always sat with our stuff at the beach.

We rented a car and drove all over and found the roads to be better than we expected. The road from San Jose to Manuel Antonio is relatively new and well paved. Up near Arenal it's a little more rustic but still decent. Just be prepared for twisty, hilly roads and bring dramamine if you have people who are motion sick. :)

Overall, this was ranked as one of our best family vacations!

Room Tip: highly recommend Cielito. But it seemed that all properties had a great view.
2  Thank TravlrFromMass
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Hi TravelrFromMass.....thank you so much for posting the review on your stay in Villa Cielito.....one of our premium 2 bedroom villas.....we loved having you with us.....this 2 bedroom villa is very different from most others.....even though it may look similar at first glance.....this one has one of the most spectacular ocean views of all......and the owner has upgraded all the electronics.....(TV's/music docks)......and placed different artwork and tons of fresh tropical flowers throughout.....and you get the personal concierge services of Chris and Julien......two of our "Tulemar Stars".....to handle all of the details of your stay.....so glad that you had Chris arrange a personal chef for that special dinner (good suggestion having it early in the stay for the leftovers!)......having a personal chef is such a treat.....and dining on the balcony at sunset is magical....thanks for your comments on safety and security too.....good common sense.......thank you so much for booking with us directly.....our website is the only place you'll find Villa Cielito.....we'd love to have you back again soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

There may be nicer accommodation's in the area but none have the beach Tulemar offer's.The management is very on top of everything. The place continues to grow but maintains a sence of privacy, wildlife and tranquility. The one thing you will want to be very careful of is to make sure there is no new or old construction going on near your location at Tulemar. As with all of the area it continues to grow and nothing puts a dent in ones vacation like having a major building project going on 200 feet away. So just check first and you will very much enjoy yourself in the confines of Tulemar. The beach is not a surfing beach but more so family friendly. Free Kayak's, chairs, picnic tables, towels and great service by David await you. Enjoy...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Curlybrowndog

Hi Curlybrowndog....thanks for taking the time to post a review of your stay in Tulemar....so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.....the Tulemar Beach is a jewel.....just as you described...I love my time there.......but please remember.....with accommodations.....we have three, four and five star villas.....something for everyone.....and absolutely some of the finest in all of Manuel Antonio.....I was a little concerned about your comment on the construction.....true....we do have a new villa in the works.....but this villa has been under construction for over a year now....and you are the first guest to post a comment....(I see your stay with us was in March).......it really has not been an issue....we checked with the concierge team and there have been no complaints or comments from our guests about the villa.....and you didn't mention that you had any noise problems yourself.....so maybe you were just letting others know....so....thanks again for the review and for booking with us!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

This place exemplifies good service. They take it seriously. For example, I mentioned to them that the mattress in one of our rooms was getting pretty old and cupping, and they replaced the darn thing! I can't imagine. I certainly wasn't looking for that, I just wanted to give them a heads up.

They have a beautiful beach too. We stayed in a two bedroom house that was pretty epic. I'd highly recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
TulemarDave, General Manager at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Hi Jack R.....thanks for the great review on your stay in one of our 2 Bedroom Premium Villas in Tulemar.....we're so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us........we also appreciate your comments about the mattress.....there are four in your villa and you were right.....it was time for that one to go......we're not always able to make things happen that quickly.....but in this case we were......thanks for your remarks about our beach at Tulemar too.....it's one of my favorite features......a small and amazing tropical paradise.......warm waters......shady palms.....sandy beach.....free lounge chairs, umbrellas, kayaks and towel service......food/beverages that you just sign to your room.....thanks again for the review and we hope you return soon!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed at Casa De Frutas the last week of June with our four children (ages 8,10,11.14). Reading the reviews before we left I was skeptical that it could be that perfect. It not only met our expectations, but exceeded them. The house was amazing-- it looked like something from a movie set. From the moment we arrived Mauricio, Dave(the owner) and the rest of the staff made us feel like pampered house guests. There was a large fruit basket, snacks, beer and soda waiting for us upon our arrival. Throughout our stay Mauricio anticipated our every need without being intrusive. We had reservations at restaurants that didn't take reservations, we received small gifts daily and day trips were organized down to what to wear, We were lucky enough to be there during the Costa Rican World Cup game and Mauricio told us what local bar in town to watch the game --when we arrived the owner addressed us by name and had a table waiting in front of the TV, We did three day trips-- ziplining,white water rafting and snorkeling, The ziplining was thrilling for everyone from our 8 year old to the adults, The whitewater rafting was the perfect amount of excitement-- the rapids were classified as 2-3 but seemed more like a 3-4 in the states. You get to swim under an amazing waterfall and there was almost constant rapids so there was not a lot of down time. Both the ziplining and white water rafting also allowed you to see some of the Costa Rican country side on the drives which was interesting. The only let down of our trip was the snorkeling while the boat ride was beautiful the water was rough and we only saw one or two fish. The wild life was amazing we saw 3 types of monkeys, 2 slouths, iguanas, and many exotic birds all from the house, The grocery store was very convenient a 15 minute walk from the house which allowed us to stock up on stables most days. The beach was great-- with the perfect 5 feet waves that allowed the kids to boogie board and body surf. Overall it was our most memorable family vacation and we hope to return soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank brooklinefamily2014
TulemarDave, Owner at Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Hi BrooklineFamily2014......thank you so much for the wonderful review on your stay in Casa de Frutas in Tulemar......one of our premier, private villas......when someone is looking for design, luxury, ambiance, amazing ocean views and unparalleled service......Casa de Frutas is the right choice.....(check out our website to see some of the villas's famous guests)......thanks for the kind words on Mauricio.....to say that he is a personal concierge is an understatement......not only does he help with all the details of your stay...and suggest the best tours/activities....but he can make things happen for you.....(and provide a few surprises as well).......thank you so much for booking with us at tulemar.com.....the only place you can book Casa de Frutas.....and thanks for the taking the time to post this review......Mauricio and I will be ready when you plan your next stay at Casa de Frutas!