“Good value for money considering beach location”
Review of Hotel Verde Mar

Hotel Verde Mar
Ranked #26 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Older Backpackers style very basic private rooms with kitchenette amd hot showers.

Good value hostel right on the beach.

Great little resturant, Very good food and rustic atmosphere- friendly resturant staff. Must try!!

Saw plenty of monkeys in the morning- very very close

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PKC1983
There are newer reviews for Hotel Verde Mar

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We were very happy with our room at Verde Mar. We stayed for one full week for $300 plus tax ( Costa Rica loves its taxes!) Our room had 2 large beds and a great kitchen set up with mini fridge and most importantly a coffee maker! While there was not an in room safe, there was a huge walk in closet with key locking door so we felt very secure leaving money, iphones , etc. Manuel Antonio is a long beach with the "town" stretching up and down a strenuous walking hill. Verde Mar was on the low end of the hill! Near the bus stop and the best beach so far of my travels just a 50 meter walk out the back gate! And there are MONKEYS!!! There is a restaurant semi attached that I didn't try, another just to the left on the beach called Balu Its more pricy here than Mexico which is what m used to and the locals don't yet seem to care to much if you like the service or not but the ceviche was good and the beer was cold! you can rent beach chairs and umbrellas for day use for a fluctuating price or simply stake out your spot wherever you want. The beach is spectacular and the tide rises each evening so high that the beach is sparkling and fresh each morning! The hotel staff were unobtrusive but very helpful when asked for anything.

Room Tip: The walls are thin so its best if don't have immediate neighbors
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank luckyjtaos
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We were so glad we chose Hotel Verde Mar on our October 2013 visit to Costa Rica. It's right on the beach!!!! We saw monkeys the our first morning. The rooms were spacious and clean, the staff was great. It's a quick walk into town for groceries and souvenirs. Our favorite part was the staff chef preparing a fresh, delicious dinner for us. I would definitely recommend Hotel Verde Mar to my friends and family and I can't wait to go back.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank calley2
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I am late with this review (was here Nov 2011). This was a great place to stay at the beach in Manuel Antonio. The staff was beyond helpful and friendly, and they even had a chef to prepare food right at the front desk (not sure if this is still true). Beach access was convenient, the rooms were clean and air conditioned, and the pool was very nice.

I would definitely stay here again next time we are in Costa Rica.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gettysburg11s
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My partner and I stayed at Verde Mar for 3 nights at the beginning of September. We chose it because we were travelling by public transport and wanted to be on the beach. We were not disappointed. It is literally a few steps from the beach and right near Balu's beach bar. It's also within walking distance of Manuel Antonio "center" (very small) where you can walk to for a meal or to the small supermarket. Really easy to get to by public bus. Ana looked after us very well and even pointed out the sloth that was sleeping under the roof when we arrived. We were in a room on the ground floor with 1 bed and kitchen. It was perfect for us although I think the rooms on the first floor are nicer because you can sit out on the balcony and you don't have people walking past the room as much. The room was clean and comfortable and having a fridge and stove was great. I wish we had used them more. My only complaint would be that the air con wasn't very effective. All the same, I loved the pool and we had good breakfasts at the restaurant. Overall, it was unbeatable for the price. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: 1st floor. I'm not sure of the numbers.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gibber16
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed in Hotel Verde Mar for 2 nights while visiting Manuel Antonio in August and absolutely loved it! The staff was excellent. The room was a very nice size, the beds were comfortable, and the air conditioning worked great. It did have a slight musty smell, but every hotel I've ever stayed at in a tropical climate does unless you want to pay mega bucks for an American chain like the Marriott or Hilton (I'd recommend against this because you loose all of the charm and culture). The hotel was in walking distance to several restaurants, a grocery store, liquor store, and the entrance to Manuel Antonio National Park. If we ever make it back to Manuel Antonio we will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PittLauren85
Reviewed 1 September 2013

There are many expensive to very expensive beautiful fancy hotels in ManAntonio but they are all "up the hill" and a cab or bus to the beach. This is one of the two that you could walk right out of the hotel and on to the beach. With a kitchen. At a decent price. I have been staying there 15 years. Canadian owned. Not fancy but for crying out loud you are right on the beach. People spend $75 and they want the Taj mahal. Cheap is the norm for many N Americans and Euro's.

Of course there are bugs--it's 200 feet from the surf and in a mountain range. Go find one on the beach that doesn't--you won't. The reviews make me laugh. Passport--it is the law in CR sine 2009 for them to have a copy of your passport---go find a hotel in CR that doesn't ask, you won't. Phones in the rooms in small beach hotels don't exist anymore--that's all for SJ or the gigantic so called 5 star places in the north. Who are you going to call? Your mother? At $4 a minute? Bring a cell phone like the rest of the world. It's less then a penny a minute to CR #'s., 34 cents a minute on a cell.

How anybody can complain about this location is beyond me. Why are you going to a beach town if you don't want to be right on the beach? Some wierdo's out there. Go to the mountains then you dopes.

The other decent place right on the beach there is a bit to the north, Karahe, but get the rooms on the beach side of the road. New (15 years old?) But small and no kitchen which is why VerdeMar would be my pick, and 20 bucks more then Verde Mar and no where the kind of service. Plus it's for sale so you know what that means.

Ramon has been the mgr for 7-8 years? Worked his way up from night time security guard 15 years ago. Now perfect english. Nicaruguan. He will make you happy. If possible. Geez.

Room Tip: They have a new building a few yards to the North--don't stay in those.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo