“Great place to stay in Manuel Antonio!”
Review of Hotel Verde Mar

Hotel Verde Mar
Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I loved this hotel. The location is spectacular - right on the beach, and I believe it is one of the only hotels in Quepos with beach access right through its gate! While my room did not have a kitchenette (I stayed in one of the villas not on the main part of the property), I had a wonderful view of the ocean, a TV, and a refrigerator. I thought that my ocean view was worth every penny. The attached restaurant is also great, meals are made with fresh seafood, and the cook is a renown chef (ask him to show you his awards from cooking competitions in San Jose). The staff was also excellent, they helped me arrange tours and get information that I needed to get to my next destination after Quepos. Overall, a great place to stay in a beautiful part of Costa Rica!

Room Tip: You can get a room according to your needs. Several of the rooms have kitchenettes, but that was not...
Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Worst motel I can ever remember staying at. Old and rundown. So much so that motel machinery made loud banging noises every 3-4 minutez all night. We were not able to sleep. Plus no view at all from the one window, no TV, no phone, no cell service and it's hallway payphone was broken. It's located near a swampy area so always mosquitoes in the room. We set food down on a table in the room and ants were all over it in about 5 minutes time. We moved to a nicer hotel down the street that was much cheaper. Management refused to refude our money for the remaing two nights of our resv. that we did not use.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mesteve
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We had our extended family of 7 staying here from 12/22-12/26 and we were supposed to have 3 suite rooms(with kitchenettes) with two beds each in them. When we checked in, we were told we were upgraded to a room with a TV since we had our son with us. The upgrade was horrible as there was no kitchenette and the bed for my son was a cot almost on top of our bed. The other family members with us had the nice suite rooms (201 and 202) that had a nice closet, kitchenette and bathroom. We complained as I had emailed the hotel prior to our arrival asking what pots and pans were in the room as the main reason we picked this hotel is because there was a kitchenette. Our son has numerous food allergies and I needed a place where I could cook for him. The hotel didn't have another suite room as reserved which ticked us off and instead put us in a 1 bedroom room that I called the "dungeon". Room 100 did have a separate bedroom but our son had to sleep on this make shift hide a bed. The room was so dark as it is directly below reception but it had my kitchenette and we really weren't prepared to try and find another place with 3 rooms available. We had a little gecko in our room during the whole stay as we never could catch him but I guess that's better than having mosquitos everywhere. I am not sure why some of the newer reviews gave this place 5 stars as in my opinion a 5 star place is a Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental. This place is nice due to the location and was relatively clean. The towels were old and mis matching but the house cleaning staff did a good job. When we left my sister in law left her cell phone and called the hotel but they claim it wasn't in the room. Her charger was there too so I don't think everyone here was very honest and probably wouldn't go back. The beach is great and as someone else mentioned the little restaurant to the left of the gate from the hotel was really good. There are several grocery stores within walking distance ( I was able to find rice milk which shocked me). Make sure to bring your own shampoo and conditioner and bar soap if you like that, as all the room had in the shower was liquid soap. To end on a positive note, the local sloth was hanging out in the tree between the beach and the pool the day we arrived which was pretty cool.

Room Tip: Don't get stuck with room 100 and also the second floor rooms had coconuts or other large object...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jill09
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The hotel was gorgeous - all tile and cool wood carved doors. The rooms were impeccably clean, the beds were comfortable, the ac kept the windows fogged over, they were quite, and the kitchen was great for making lunches etc. The staff was also extremely helpful, they helped call our transportation to get a pack we left and negotiate for the guy to bring it back. It was right on the beach and close enough to town and the park to walk in, no bus. I don't know the name of the restaurant next door to it (through a little gate on the right) but it was phenomenal and very inexpensive - best restaurant of the trip. You should try it out for a meal for sure.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This hotel was AMAZING, great location and staff. Randall and his team took care of all our travel needs. For the value and location (On the beach) you cannot go wrong. Perfectly located in Manuel Antonio, and super kid friendly. Randall booked all our day trips and excursions as well as transportation and Hotel at the airport. You don't even need a rental car. My advice is to fly into Quepos then get a taxi. Taxi's will take you everywhere and the tour companies will pickup/dropoff for your excursions. My kids (12 and 14) and I will be back

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Just leaving Verde Mar now and wishing we had longer. The rooms are basic but spacious and clean with fridge, kitchenette and a filter coffee maker (which we used our coffee tour ground beans for lovely fresh coffee).
We were using public transport so this location was perfect - opp a bus stop to get you to the bank and up the very steep hill for the restaurants on top and close enough to all the beachside restaurants and supermarkets. It's also worth noting it's ON the beach (closest we've been since our time in CR) and only 10-15 mins walk to the gates of the National park.
The staff were above and beyond the best bit of this hotel, who went over and above to help you out.
Would definitely recommend for value and location!

Room Tip: Pick the second floor if you can and room 209 (i think! - its the last room on the second floor and...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tripti
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Clean and nice place to stay. Simple accommodation next to beach Very friendly staff willing to negotiate price when I just walked in with no reservation. Next to hotel closer to beach is a little restaurant Cafe Cielo just few tables but chief Omar Gomes prepared for us the best seafood I ever had in CR. You siting next to his kitchen an can see as he doing miracles. We ha breakfast, lunch an dinner with him Is wort it every single colones to spent in that tiny cafe. I was watching my meals asking for mass ajo no problemo made to the order . Even if you not staying in Verde Mar you can walk down to his cafe to enjoy haven on the plates which he prepare.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends