“The best location- right on the beach!”
Review of Hotel Verde Mar

Hotel Verde Mar
Houston, Texas
“The best location- right on the beach!”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is the closest you can get to beach front in the Manuel Antonio area. it sits right on the main beach. You just walk over a little bridge and there you are. you can rent surfboards, parasail, and get lessons on this beach. You can also walk to nearby Manuel Antonio National Park.
The beds weren't so comfy and there was a small ant problem in the room. Don't leave any food out! BUT overall this place was great because of the location and price. We paid $115 a night on hotels.com. Food was ok. Everything in this area is WAY overpriced. The room did have a fridge, sink and some dishes.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank bethanyrobin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Red Wing, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Walk outside and you're on the beach...beautiful, sandy Pacific Ocean beach. Yes, the place is old but beds were comfortable, all staff pleasant and helpful. Spoke English. Two great rustic restaurants within 50 feet. We had WiFi in our room. If you want a phone and TV, don't go to Costa Rica. It is a third world country that is steeped in beauty and wonderful people who are working to improve their country and their people's lives. We were there January 2014 and there was NO swamp but probably during the rainy season that is possible.

Room Tip: Overall Costa Rica is expensive for the quality. If this is important, chose another country.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I loved this hotel. The location is spectacular - right on the beach, and I believe it is one of the only hotels in Quepos with beach access right through its gate! While my room did not have a kitchenette (I stayed in one of the villas not on the main part of the property), I had a wonderful view of the ocean, a TV, and a refrigerator. I thought that my ocean view was worth every penny. The attached restaurant is also great, meals are made with fresh seafood, and the cook is a renown chef (ask him to show you his awards from cooking competitions in San Jose). The staff was also excellent, they helped me arrange tours and get information that I needed to get to my next destination after Quepos. Overall, a great place to stay in a beautiful part of Costa Rica!

Room Tip: You can get a room according to your needs. Several of the rooms have kitchenettes, but that was not...
Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Danville, CA
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Worst motel I can ever remember staying at. Old and rundown. So much so that motel machinery made loud banging noises every 3-4 minutez all night. We were not able to sleep. Plus no view at all from the one window, no TV, no phone, no cell service and it's hallway payphone was broken. It's located near a swampy area so always mosquitoes in the room. We set food down on a table in the room and ants were all over it in about 5 minutes time. We moved to a nicer hotel down the street that was much cheaper. Management refused to refude our money for the remaing two nights of our resv. that we did not use.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mesteve

Travellers are raving about these Manuel Antonio National Park hotels

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We had our extended family of 7 staying here from 12/22-12/26 and we were supposed to have 3 suite rooms(with kitchenettes) with two beds each in them. When we checked in, we were told we were upgraded to a room with a TV since we had our son with us. The upgrade was horrible as there was no kitchenette and the bed for my son was a cot almost on top of our bed. The other family members with us had the nice suite rooms (201 and 202) that had a nice closet, kitchenette and bathroom. We complained as I had emailed the hotel prior to our arrival asking what pots and pans were in the room as the main reason we picked this hotel is because there was a kitchenette. Our son has numerous food allergies and I needed a place where I could cook for him. The hotel didn't have another suite room as reserved which ticked us off and instead put us in a 1 bedroom room that I called the "dungeon". Room 100 did have a separate bedroom but our son had to sleep on this make shift hide a bed. The room was so dark as it is directly below reception but it had my kitchenette and we really weren't prepared to try and find another place with 3 rooms available. We had a little gecko in our room during the whole stay as we never could catch him but I guess that's better than having mosquitos everywhere. I am not sure why some of the newer reviews gave this place 5 stars as in my opinion a 5 star place is a Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental. This place is nice due to the location and was relatively clean. The towels were old and mis matching but the house cleaning staff did a good job. When we left my sister in law left her cell phone and called the hotel but they claim it wasn't in the room. Her charger was there too so I don't think everyone here was very honest and probably wouldn't go back. The beach is great and as someone else mentioned the little restaurant to the left of the gate from the hotel was really good. There are several grocery stores within walking distance ( I was able to find rice milk which shocked me). Make sure to bring your own shampoo and conditioner and bar soap if you like that, as all the room had in the shower was liquid soap. To end on a positive note, the local sloth was hanging out in the tree between the beach and the pool the day we arrived which was pretty cool.

Room Tip: Don't get stuck with room 100 and also the second floor rooms had coconuts or other large object...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jill09
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The hotel was gorgeous - all tile and cool wood carved doors. The rooms were impeccably clean, the beds were comfortable, the ac kept the windows fogged over, they were quite, and the kitchen was great for making lunches etc. The staff was also extremely helpful, they helped call our transportation to get a pack we left and negotiate for the guy to bring it back. It was right on the beach and close enough to town and the park to walk in, no bus. I don't know the name of the restaurant next door to it (through a little gate on the right) but it was phenomenal and very inexpensive - best restaurant of the trip. You should try it out for a meal for sure.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
San Clemente, California
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This hotel was AMAZING, great location and staff. Randall and his team took care of all our travel needs. For the value and location (On the beach) you cannot go wrong. Perfectly located in Manuel Antonio, and super kid friendly. Randall booked all our day trips and excursions as well as transportation and Hotel at the airport. You don't even need a rental car. My advice is to fly into Quepos then get a taxi. Taxi's will take you everywhere and the tour companies will pickup/dropoff for your excursions. My kids (12 and 14) and I will be back

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family