“Location, location, location”
Review of Hotel Verde Mar

Hotel Verde Mar
Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Just recently back home after another fantastic trip to Costa Rica. The last 5 nights were spent at Verde Mar. Our overall experience was great, but I will critique by listing positives and negatives:
First the positives:
-the staff was fantastic, and very helpful.
-as I said in the title, it's all about the location... just steps from the beach, which for us was really great, and also only a 6 minute walk into Manuel Antonio, to stores and restaurants, and also the MA park entrance.
-the room was very adequate... we were right at the end of the building, closest to the beach. Bed was comfortable
-Very nice and cool; air conditioning was great, and also a ceiling fan above the bed.
- HOT showers every time.... this is my third trip to Central America, and I can tell you, this is not something you can count on.
-Huge box in the room to lock up all of your valuables. We didn't have our own lock, so they provided one.
-the small kitchenette was not all that useful.... hard to cook anything with just a microwave, however the fridge was great, and in my opinion, an essential in that hot climate, to keep your beverages cold.
-there was a sloth mama and baby living in the trees just outside our room, and the white faced monkeys would come through at some point every day.

The negatives:

-well, in short, the exterior of the place is kind of run down, and ramshackle! As we walked around the property I kept saying to my partner "if I owned this place, I would......"

-the pool area ... seriously, it needs to be bulldozed and completely made over. Tiles are missing in the pool, the decking is very rough looking, the deck chairs..... oy vey!! the chairs and loungers are wooden, in various stages of recline (or decline as the case may be) and covered with tile! Not exactly what I'd call comfortable. I've noticed there are some photos of the chairs above... I don't need to add my own.
-the shower area is essential for people coming from the beach.... but there has to be a better way to deal with that sand. We always tracked sand into our room, because it was impossible to get through the shower without still having sand on your feet.
-that little rickety walkway leading out to the beach.... hmm, I think that might be one of the least expensive ways to make a big improvement.
-the gardens along side the ramp that led down to the pool... oh, I saw so much potential there. I am an avid gardener, and would love to have a go a beautifying those gardens.

Over all, negatives aside, we still thoroughly enjoyed out stay at Verde Mar, and it's proximity to so many things.

4  Thank team28

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Let me start with something positive-the staff was very friendly and helpful but didn't have much to work with. It was located on the beach and close to Manual Antonio National Park. However the whole place was old and run down. The pool was dirty and the rooms smelled bad like mold. The ac in our room was very old and could not cool the room during the day. The shower tile was cracked and full of mold. There was soap but no shampoo. The towels are old and stained and do not smell fresh. The "safe" was a metal box bolted to the floor which did not have a lock-you had to put up your credit card in order to get a lock and the same with beach towels. There were ants in the rooms and you only had a few minutes before they swarmed your food, especially on the stove. I saw the biggest roach I have ever seen in my life in the bathroom one night. The mattress was totally uncomfortable. We had to lift the mattress and reset the cross boards just to try to even out the lumps. Definitely not a 4 star, and not worth what we paid.

Room Tip: The 4 or 5 villa rooms are in one building but not attached to the main building, they are newer so...
1  Thank galveston65
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Hotel Verde Mar has a simple room structure that suited our 4 person family very well. It was clean and well taken care of. We often saw the resident sloth with her baby hanging out above the pool which was really exciting. There were also a couple resident iguanas that we said hi to each morning. :) We had heard that monkeys frequent the area as well but we never got to see them on the property. The hotel is a walking distance from the beach, one of the few hotels with beach access I heard. It also has a pool, which we went to if we were not up for the beach or wanted something smaller and more calm. The property was very quiet at night which was great for sleeping :) We could walk to Manuel Antonio Park from the hotel, and many delicious restaurants were within driving distance. A draw back of our room was the weak wifi signal in the room. We had to go closer to the front desk or the pool to get good reception. The room also severely lacked enough places to hang wet swimsuits and towels! Overall we were very happy with the accommodations and price.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AmyLuet
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My girlfriend and I spent a week at the Hotel Verde Mar in the beginning of February. Like you, we used tripadvisor to help us make the right choices. Hotel Verde Mar was the right choice for us... Randall and his team run this place and these people were outstanding. Tell them what you want, or want to do and they'll figure out the options.

This is not a fancy place, it's all about the location. If you've selected the Quepos area for your stay there is a National Park Manuel Antonio a few miles to the south, but it's nothing but hills, hills and more hills between these two locations. If you want to go to the beach there are only a few place that will put you at ground level and none of them are closer than Verde Mar. We could lay in bed and listen to the waves breaking on the beach. Otherwise you're hiking to and from the beach with all that you'll need, yes there are buses, but we saw lots of people walking, did not look like fun...

As for the rooms, these are very basic, yes they're clean but forget about closet space... Our room (standard) had a small refrigerator and coffee maker, sink, etc. The water was hot and the AC was cold. There was a good size lock box in our room but you need to bring your own lock.

This place is a great choice if you have children, the beach is literally right there. Furthermore you won't find a nicer (or closer) beach than the one at Verde Mar.

If we ever go back to this area of Costa Rica again and I'm sure we will be staying at Hotel Verde Mar

Mike & Barb

1  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Our first visit to Manuel Antonio & we did not know what to expect. Randall at the desk was very helpful & seemed to be working all the time! Our room was basic,but comfortable and we had A/C. Looked out to the amazing ocean, watched monkeys out our window! Easy to walk to restaurants and the park.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wendyweather
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

We are from saskatoon canada. We stayed for 7 days. The hotel staff were great and the quaint restaurant had the best food. The chef is awesome. Would be nice to see a better kitchen for them to use. The ocean was right outside the door. We felt safe and were welcomed by all.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is the closest you can get to beach front in the Manuel Antonio area. it sits right on the main beach. You just walk over a little bridge and there you are. you can rent surfboards, parasail, and get lessons on this beach. You can also walk to nearby Manuel Antonio National Park.
The beds weren't so comfy and there was a small ant problem in the room. Don't leave any food out! BUT overall this place was great because of the location and price. We paid $115 a night on hotels.com. Food was ok. Everything in this area is WAY overpriced. The room did have a fridge, sink and some dishes.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family