“Ok for the price ”

Hotel Villas El Parque
“Ok for the price ”
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

We traveled to Manuel Antonio and stayed here for the week. It's definitely not the best place to stay, but for the price it's decent. The view from our villa was great! The location is good, near lots of restaurants and super markets and also a bank right next door. Lots of stair climbing if your in one of the upper villas, so keep that in mind if you have problems with climbing stairs. The AC in our unit just barely kept up and was not the coolest. The linen on the bed was old and so was the mattress. We woke up with all the bed linen undone from the bed. There was a problem with our toilet flushing and reported it to the front desk the 2nd day we were there and they said they'd fix it ASAP and it still wasn't fixed by the time we left 6 days later. Lots of bugs also due to the cracks in the building. As I said , it's ok for the price, but if your willing to spend $200+ a night there are much better places that offer more.

Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Las Vegas, New Mexico
Reviewed 6 February 2014

This was our first time to costa rica and we were quite nervous.. After many phone calls and e mail exchanges we decided to book for 10 days.. all the help and advice from the owners really helped our decision and the extra bonus that there manager spoke english..let me start by saying the view from villa #15 is so wonderful. We were so happy with everything. the kitchen, the new air conditioner, the new stove, new mattresses (the owner informed us of this.. very true) The house keeper does not speak English but washed our dishes and made us feel at home.Fresh beach towels every day! She was a sweetie. The pool and tub were quiet and peaceful.. We were a bit skeptical about the noise we read about in the reviews from Byblos the casino but we found out that they are no longer having loud music.. which we were so happy to listen to the waves at night.. the beach, dinning and shopping is so close..We walked to the beach every day and swam in the warm waters! We cant wait to come back next year!! Love this villa and the owners are from michigan they are so accommodating as well as David the manager who lives in Costa Rica!!. Oh and I forgot to mention the amazing hammock that my husband and I argued over to look at the monkeys and the ocean! best deal ever!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank steve m
California City, California
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We rented the larger villa of unit 18; we did so thinking that its view was as shown in the picture on the hotel website. It was not!!!
After doing my research, I found out that If you want a nice view of the Ocean at villas el parque, you have to stay in the UPPER villas: 5,8,11,13,15 or 17. I asked around and found out that out of these 6 UPPER villas, only 3 (villas 5,11 and 13) are available to rent through the hotel. I was told that the other 3 UPPER VILLAS (8, 15 and 17) were rented privalely by the owners.
So, ask to stay in villas 5, 11, and 13 instead of villa 18. The price is the same as villa 18, but you get so much more for your money, which is essentially the amazing view and the convenience of being closer to the main road and the parking area.
Villa 18, like almost all the villas at villas el parque, has two levels located one on top of the other. Even the upper level of villa 18 has absolutely no good view of the Ocean.
Overall, the location of the complex (not villa 18) is great. The on-site restaurant is also great. There is a pool and a spa next door which were nice. Banks and other nice restaurants are close-by. The employees of the hotel are happy and very helpful.
I gave this place an average rating for several reasons: First, because I thought I was getting a room with a nice view of the Ocean, and I did not. I could have gotten a much nicer villa, with a great view, for the same price. Second, I also gave this villa an average rating because we thought the mattresses seemed a bit old. Third, villa 18 is closer to the bottom level, which could be noisy, dangerous, and annoying. For instance, when it comes time to exit the premises and go out for dinner or to the beach, if you stay in villa 18, you have to climb a commonly used road, with some traffic; which was not very safe and it was huge nuisance.
Thank you very much for reading. I hope to return to this place so long as I stay in one of the upper villas.

Room Tip: if you want a nice Ocean view, stay in rooms 5,11 or 13
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MELane916
Roger R, Owner at Hotel Villas El Parque, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
When I first read this review I immediately called our Manager and asked what happened to my ocean view. He assured me that it was the same as always. For the record, I have posted a photo taken by me in December of 2013 from the balcony of Unit #18 in the Trip Adviser photo section. By any standard, it is very nice ocean view.
Our web site describes the ocean view from the balcony of Unit #18 as fantastic. A claim I do not think is an exaggeration. Ocean views from the upper units are described as panoramic.
Contrary to what the reviewer stated, upper units are more expensive than lower units.
As an owner and part of management of the Hotel, we expend a tremendous amount of effort and money to make sure each guest has the most positive experience possible while staying at Hotel Villas el Parque. Please view the picture and decide for yourself about the view.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We rented the entire Villa #15 and had a great time! The space was so functional - the kitchen was a great gathering space, and those huge patios with such amazing views made for a great breakfast/coffee and cocktail hour spot! The people were incredibly friendly, the restaurants in the area were fantastic. And it felt so private. We will definitely go back!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica
Reviewed 15 February 2013

We stayed in Villas el parque for 5 nights. Generally, very good. We had great ocean view, a nice and large open living room. The bed room and bath rooms are good and clean.

However, the noise from neighbouring hotel Byblos is truly the most horrible experience we had in CR.

the 1st night disco music was till after mid night till i called hotel mgr who called the police to stop them. Then the braindead music just went on every night (only not on Wed). This music level can wake up everyone on this hillside. If you cannot sleep, should call the hotel mgr or the police.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Roger R, Manager at Hotel Villas El Parque, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
The reviewer is correct. The noise from Byblos Casino was, at times, awful. Fortunately, several Hotels near Byblos complained to the Ministry of Health about noise pollution. The Ministry of Health told Byblos to close down the disco and the space is now converted to gambling tables and a bar. I just returned from 10 days at Villas el Parque and did not hear a peep from Byblos.
Come check us out!
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I stayed here in late May for the first few nights of my 2 1/2 weeks in Costa Rica. Someone else had made the arrangements and other members of the groups were in different rooms around the complex. My experience was the least pleasant. I actually liked the room--on a lower level near the pool. It had a fabulous view from the balcony. The complex spilled down a hillside and was full of steep steps and dark corners. Rather charming, actually. But. The door from the balcony to the outside stairs locked, which was a good thing as the door to the room from the balcony had a completely inadequate lock--in the morning, I found the door open several inches! As I was on a lower level, just above the walkway, this made me a bit nervous. Aside from that, the room was nice and the balcony was delightful. I thought the kitchenette on the balcony was a great idea. After arriving, the young man from the office carried the bags down many steps to the room. No one mentioned that the railings outside the room had just been painted and I got dark red paint on my clothes and on the sole of my shoe which I tracked into the room and back out again. I met up with my friends for dinner and when I got back to my room I was exhausted. I pulled back the covers on the bed to discover that the sheets were dirty. Lots of long dark hairs in the bed and on the pillows. Ick. But, by this time (not yet 10pm) the office was closed and there was no one to talk to about it. The next morning, I stopped in the office to discuss it with another nice young man. When I returned at 5pm--no change. Luckily the office was still open. They told me that they had only recently started renting my room and they only had one key. Hmmm. . . Did no one think this might be a problem? But, he called the maid and she came back to the hotel to clean my room. I felt bad for her, but I was pleased to have clean sheets. After that, I left my key at the desk during the day so they could let in the cleaners. But, it really put me off this hotel. I didn't expect luxury here, but I did expect clean sheets.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank LNinWI

Travellers are raving about these Manuel Antonio National Park hotels

Long Beach, California
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights, it was our worst experience in Costa Rica. On our second night we went out to a bar to listen to live music. We came back around 11ish and the balcony was obviously disturbed. There is a locked door from the balcony to the stairs but you can easily jump around the door. The table with some of our stuff had been moved around and the screen on the window of the door had been broken and ripped off. Luckily when we arrived we checked the locks on the windows because one of them was left unlocked and it had been the exact window the screen had been ripped off, like it was a set-up. They tried to pull the doors open by force but we had secured all the locks before we left. The people above us were not as lucky. They came home later and all of their things had been stolen. We told the security guard who said he chased some people who had a machete(!) but they jumped into a taxi and got away. The cops eventually came but did nothing. The hotel staff was not sympathetic and did nothing for us. Part of our group was staying in a different building closer to the office and had no problems but we were given a room at the very end of the property.

Other than almost getting robbed...the hotel was just okay. It was pretty far from the beach. We walked down one day but would not recommend it. The pool was small and didn't look very clean. There were quite a few bugs and lizards coming in and out of the room. It was close to a lot of cafes and bars which was nice. The view from the room was pretty and you could see/hear wildlife from the hotel. So, if you're going to stay here ask for a room close to the office, use the safe in the room, and check your locks!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends