“Such a wonderful hotel”

Ranked #28 of 46 Hotels in Manuel Antonio
Los Angeles, California
“Such a wonderful hotel”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We stayed here with a group of 17 travelers on a tour of Costa Rica. This was the best hotel we stayed at on our trip, and we loved it. The staff were wonderful, the place was beautiful, with breath-taking views. Our rooms were very clean and updated. Every day there is happy hour at the pool bar with 2 for 1 margaritas for $5. Dayleen makes amazing margaritas! The food was also great.

Breakfast was amazing, with fresh patries, made to order omeletes, etc. And, every morning we were there a large group of squirrel monkeys made their appearance in the trees by the pool.

We loved this place so much that my roommate and I extended our stay.

You really feel a part of nature at this place. Sunset was my favorite, because just before sunset the trees just come alive with all types of animal calls and sounds.

Room Tip: Ask for a deluxe room with a view (although, when we extended our stay and had to downgrade, the sta...
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Daylin is pretty new to cocktail mixing, I am so glad to hear she is doing it well! I am really glad that you had a good experience and we all appreciate the thoughtful comments. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and we do hope we will see you again soon! Warmest wishes from all of us here at Hotel California!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Thanks Hotel California for making our trip to Costa Rica so comfortable! From the beautiful room to the delicious food and drinks - it was a home away from home. Everyone at the hotel treated us like VIPS...from the kind folks at reception who stored our luggage at check-in and at check-out, to Erik who arranged the mangrove boat trip to Gilberto at the pool side cafe who made us feel like old friends! In fact, I would return to this hotel just to see his smiling face again. May I suggest additional transparency with food/drink charges? Menus are in the local currency and the final bil in USD....and in one case, the server said she forgot to bring our change (about $10 on a $10 bill).

Room Tip: 3rd floor is the way to go!
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
That is our goal, that you feel at home...So I am grateful to hear you say that your experience was the one we strive to offer! Many thanks for your thoughtful comments. I am sorry there was some confusion with your bill and will look into that. Again, many thanks, and we hope we will see you again! Warmest wishes and many thanks!
Sebastopol, California, United States
Reviewed 18 March 2014

With the name of this establishment parroting the popular Eagles song, I had some trepidation that it might be a tacky throwback to the 70s. But I was pleasantly surprised.

Located off a long driveway from the main road running through Quepos near Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica, the Hotel California features a sweeping view of the ocean--despite it being 4-5 kilometers away.

I noticed another guest was grateful that they were placed far away from the cats. An ardent animal lover, I was disappointed we weren't closer! But I still got some pats in, and more importantly, got to witness the daily visits by the local troupe of around 30 Titi monkeys who come for banana treats and will take them out of your hand. (But be still and silent for best results...)

The room we stayed in was top level with a vaulted ceiling and French doors that opened onto a balcony facing the ocean. Very nice!

Chief complaint: my wife didn't like the occasional sound from the water heater in our closet.

The staff was very friendly and helpful (Costa Ricans excel in this...) and the cabana by the pool was a great place to hang out in the heat and humidity.

Overall, a nice stay for the money.

Room Tip: Be prepared to walk to the bus or take a taxi. There isn't much in walking distance from this ho...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Hotel California kept it's name when I bought it because I am a native Californian and my ancestors were native americans from California. Not much to do with the song, so I am really glad you did not let that put you off! We love our pets, glad you felt comfortable with them! So happy that you got to see monkeys as I know I really enjoy them, even after many years of seeing them daily! It never goes away, that fascination for monkeys! Warm wishes and many thanks for your kind words!
Vancouver
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Ah…the Hotel California. We had no idea what to expect until our van scrambled up the short, steep lane from the main Quepos to Manuel Antonio road. This hotel fit us to a T – beautiful, unpretentious, and relaxed, with a staff that was both charming and attentive. We even had a welcoming tree frog waiting on our door frame. Even though we probably did not have the best-located room (low level near the pool), the view out over the lush, tropical foliage to the Pacific beyond was stunning. The room was spacious, bright, and airy with a tile floor, wood and tile accents, fridge, and roomy balcony. We felt more at home here than at any other hotel on our trip. Meals in the outdoor café by the pool were well-prepared and inexpensive, with the added benefits of toucan sightings and impromptu Spanish lessons from the mixologist extraordinaire, Gilberto, a man of infinite charm who, along with the reception staff, omelette maker, and servers made our stay truly memorable.

The short walk down the hill to take the local bus into Manuel Antonio Park takes a couple of minutes and was part of the local experience for us, but perhaps some would see it as an inconvenience. Yes, there are more polished, city-style hotels, but if you want to feel Costa Rica, come here. Thank you, Hotel California!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Many thanks for your kind comments! We are always happy here when people have a great vacation and allow us to be a part of it. And it is always wonderful when a monkey, frog or iguana plays personal host or hostess, that is the best! Warmest wishes and we hope to see you again! Gilberto is always there with a great cocktail in hand to sip as the sun sets!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I am currently staying at hotel california. I have terrible allergies to cats and dust etc. and they were very nice and helpful. They made sure to put me and my friend in a very clean room far from the cats that hang around the lobby and were very nice to me about it. I have travelled to many countries where they did not understand how severe my allergies were or were rude to me. The food at the restaurant is delicious, the room is very clean and the pool area is a great place to take a nap or read.

Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
I am so glad that the staff could help with the cat allergies. Also glad to hear the pool was relaxing enough for a nice nap! Many thanks for your kind comments, hope we will see you again soon!

Warm wishes,

Robbie
Leeds, Utah
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The staff was so helpful and always did all they could to help us.

Before we even arrived, I had emailed them about finding us some spa treatments. Eric was very professional and provided me several options and then made the arrangements for me.

Next, we got there 3 hours before check in, they gave us towels and let us enjoy the pool and restaurant area.

The next morning, our tour left before their breakfast started. They were so kind and had a complete breakfast ready for us to enjoy. With made to order omelets, eggs, rice, beans, fruit, juices, breads and coffee.

Some in our group went fishing for the day, they told us to bring back what we caught and they would cook it for us. We did catch some fish and they made us wonderful dinner, they prepared the fish and it was so good! A wonderful salad, vegetables, french fries and of course rice and beans. The presentation was beautiful and the food was delicious.

When we left we had to check out early to go an another day tour, they kept our luggage for us safely in their offices while we gone for the day.

We had a great stay, and they made our time there very enjoyable.

We had 8 couples, with four rooms. The rooms were very clean. One of the couples rooms air conditioning didn't work very well, and another room was smokey smelling. Everything else was great and I can not say enough about the helpful staff.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone including families with children.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room, it is beautiful!!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Campesina, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you so much for the nice comments, The staff are really happy when they know that they are making you happy, we translate all comments and place them where all employees see them. I am sure you have just made their day! I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and hope we will see you here again.

Warmest wishes,

Robbie
Macon, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This was our 10th year staying at hotel California. It is a great hotel with a very friendly staff. The hotel is in the jungle with a view of the ocean. They have great food at the hotel restaurant. They have a nice swimming pool. In the years that we have stayed, we have seen numerous wildlife. If you need a taxi the front desk will call one and usually within 10 min. the taxi is there. The rooms are clean and comfortable. We plan on returning to Costa Rica in February 2015 and will be staying at the hotel California.

Room Tip: If you want a great view of the ocean get a room on the third floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
AlonsoCalifornia, Manager at Hotel California, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Heyyy Friends !!!

Glad to hear that you thought it was excellent and that you enjoyed the view from the rooms, food from the restaurant, swimming pool, and on behalf of the 24 employees of hotel California, we would like to thank you. We are working hard to make your vacation the best we can and are very happy you enjoyed the time with us.
Sometimes things happen during your stay, and having someone that you know will assist makes all the difference.

Looking forward to see you in the near future.
Alonso Madrigal